Finally today I think I have turned the corner and I'm starting to feel better. It's been such a weird week around here! Our normally healthy family has been struggling. Poor Tommy has been battling a fever since Monday, but I think he might finally have turned the corner also. He started to seem like himself this morning when he woke up.
I had expected to bounce back pretty quickly from my surgery. I even scheduled a rehearsal for this afternoon thinking that I would be back to normal. What was I thinking? Unfortunately I'm going to have to miss it, but thankfully the other teachers are willing to take over for me.
I thought that I had recovered pretty quickly the last time, but I also didn't realize that these two surgeries would be so different. I can't remember how long Lap #1 took, but I don't think Dr. L was in there for very long and I believe she only removed two spots of endo. I had no problem with the hour-long drive back and I remember having Panera for dinner that night - chicken noodle soup, yum!
Lap #2 on Tuesday lasted 3 hours and in addition to the laparoscopy Dr. S performed a selective HSG, hysteroscopy, and cauterized my cervix. I have a feeling that he was much more precise and meticulous when it came to removing the endo. I will learn more at my post-op visit, but from what he told my parents it sounds like he removed about 10-15 spots of endo and moved my lower colon back into place. (Whatever that means!!) It sounds like he left one spot of endo near my rectum (sorry for the TMI) because he didn't want to mess around with the tissue too much down there. He gave my parents 54 pictures from the surgery, but I'm going to need him to explain them to me!
I had planned on going back home the night after surgery - it's about a 2-hour drive. My parents were with me since my hubby was home with Tommy. I had been at the hospital since 6:00am (surgery lasted from 8:00 - 11:00) and I was finally discharged around 4:00pm. Unfortunately I felt pretty sick during the short drive from the hospital to the hotel. Just walking from the car to the room made me nauseous.
I decided to take a nap and hoped that I would feel good enough for the drive home afterwards - but no such luck! Even just sitting up in bed made me feel sick. I have been under anesthesia twice and it hadn't bothered me so much in the past - but I guess this was different because I was under for longer. My parents went to get dinner and brought back some soup for me, but I didn't feel like eating anything at all.
The painkillers worked well but I had other side effects - shoulder pain from the gas bubbles left in my abdomen and my throat felt like it was on fire (from the tube that was down there during surgery.) It hurt to talk and all I could do was pretty much lay there. I felt so bad because my hubby was home alone with a sick baby. He had a ton going on at work this week and wasn't planning to be gone two days.
Anyways, after a good night's sleep on Tuesday night I felt fine on the drive back Wednesday morning. We got home just as my hubby was returning from the pediatrician. Tommy didn't have any ear infection or strep, most likely just battling a virus. But it was our first time seeing him sick - he's been such a healthy little guy until now. He seriously slept most of the week - and was only awake for one hour at a time a few times during the day. He didn't want to take any medicine and I hated having to force it in his mouth. :( It was just so sad to see him feel so yucky and be so miserable. All he wanted was to be with me, but I didn't have the strength or energy to hold him for very long. Even the weather has been nasty this week - it's felt pretty depressing around here!
Thankfully my hubby has been a rockstar and my parents have been amazing. My mom has been doing all the shopping, cooking and cleaning around here. It seems like the sun might finally come out today, even though it's still freezing cold.
Thanks for all the love, support and prayers. I feel really good about working with Dr. S - did I mention that he prayed with me before surgery? Even though I couldn't see him because I didn't have my glasses or contacts, it was really sweet. I am looking forward to my post-op appointment when he explains everything in detail.
Sounds like your recovery is going the same as mine did in January. The shoulder pain is horrible, isn't it?
ReplyDeletePraying for you and Tommy!
Glad you and Tommy are doing better. What a blessing your hub and parents are! Continued prayers G!
ReplyDeleteGlad you both are doing better!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're doing better. I remember the shoulder pain! So weird!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're beginning to feel better:) Prayers for your continued healing.
ReplyDeleteGlad the surgery went well and that you're starting to feel a bit better! That's kind of how I felt after mine at the CEC - they completely "cleaned me out" and I definitely had a harder recovery! Make sure you give yourself plenty of time for your body to continue all that internal healing it's doing - probably for a few months.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry I haven't called or brought a meal like I wanted to do! I've been attached to this pump still, and exhausted. Let me know if I can do anything before I leave on Friday!
I am so glad and so hopeful for you!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are feeling better. Sorry to hear that Tommy has been sick and the recovery was rougher than you expected. It's great that you are "all cleaned out" now.
ReplyDeleteI am breaking my online fast (bad me). Praying for you and your recovery. I adore Dr Stegman (he did my 09 lap). I love that he prays with his patients...love love love. God bless you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a week! Thanks for the update, I have been thinking about you. Sounds like he did a lot of work in your pelvis and some surgeries take longer and have a rougher recovery than others, sounds like you got one of those. Eat smalls meals, that will help the gas pain. I also put a heating pad underneath my ribs and that also helped that referred neck pain (the pain is actually in your belly, but referred to your neck). Thank God for your parents and hubby! Our little one also had a cold and she was miserable. So sad! Hopefully you have a relaxing weekend and will feel better soon. Sounds like the surgery was successful!!!
ReplyDeletep.s. Dr. Sinervo at the CEC prayed with me before my surgery :). I barely remember it though, because I was a bit drugged up already...
ReplyDeleteIt does make you feel a lot calmer and like you're in good hands, doesn't it?
I think Dr S's name should be changed to Dr Meticulous :) My first surgery lasted 7.5 hrs. Even Dr Hilgers won't do an ovarian wedge at the same time as a first laparoscopy, selective HSG, hysteroscopy. SEVEN AND A HALF!! I continue to be in awe of the man...
ReplyDeleteOne of the nurses told me last year that he wears ice bags under his lab coat, because he never knows how long he'll be on his feet.
I am totally hopeful for your restored fertility!
I have been following your surgery and progress and it sounds like you are doing very well! Praying that your dr, who sounds amazing, was able to remove the stumbling blocks to your fertility. So awesome he prayed with you before hand, what a blessing!
ReplyDeleteGlad you have your parents and DH helping out so with your recovery and sweet Tommy, bless his heart. Hope you are both back in the swing of things really soon.
So glad it went well! Sounds like Dr. S is as amazing as I've heard!
ReplyDelete