Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Homestudy #3

The exciting news around here is that we have started working on another home study!  I wasn't sure if we would be able to pursue another adoption - and we still aren't sure how we are going to afford it.  (Ack!)  But I trust that somehow, Lord willing, it will all work out.

I had almost forgotten just how much paperwork is involved.  Of course it's all worth it in the end, but it is definitely a big undertaking to complete.  I feel like I am running all over our county searching for the right paperwork.  Many people ask me what is involved with a homestudy, so I thought I would share what our state and our agency require.  The ones with an asterisk have a fee involved (in addition to the fees we pay our agency.)

-Three types of clearances:
(1) Child Protective Clearances (we had to get a form notarized and mail it)
(2) Child Support Clearances (sign and mail in a form)
(3) FBI Police Clearance (had to get fingerprinted)*

-Basic Information (one form for each member of our family - including copies of our 4 birth certificates, 2 adoption decrees, and 1 marriage license.) 

-A form about our extended family members

-Proof of health insurance

-Physicians Form (one form for each member of our family filled out by a doctor- including HIV test and TB test for the adults)*

-Report from your children's school (we don't need this one)

-Statement of Net Worth (fill out a form about our finances including our most recent tax forms and copies of our paychecks)

-House Inspection by the County (arrange a visit)*

-Fire Safety Inspection by the Fire Marshal (arrange a visit)

-Driving Record (we have to request a complete driving record from the DMV for all adults)*

-References (three friends have to write references and one needs to be interviewed)

-Training (8 hours of in-person or online training must be completed)*

-Agency Specific Documents (we had to read and sign nine different documents regarding home safety, child discipline, agency protocol, etc.) 

-Social Worker Visits (once all of the above is completed, our SW will schedule 2-3 visits)

-Photo Album Profile (once we are homestudy approved we will create a photo album profile which will be shown to potential birthmothers)*

Whew!  Thankfully we have completed almost everything in the past two weeks.  We are leaving town on Saturday and I wanted to have it all taken care of before we leave. 

My sweet cousin and her husband offered to babysit last weekend so that Troy and I could have a day to ourselves.  It would have been more fun to see a movie or something like that, but I was so glad to have the time to take care of these things!  We also test-drove some cars since we will need a bigger vehicle when the baby comes. 

Yesterday I started the 54 Day Rosary Novena after a friend told me that she had recently been praying it.  I am praying that God's will be done, for the baby, the birthmother and for peace as we go through this crazy process. 

Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! It's so exciting!! :) Will keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I will be praying for you. Exciting .......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Congrats! Prayers for a quick match! Oh for all the $$$ to come through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I got tired just reading that. Prayers for you all during this process!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on starting the adoption process!!! I can't wait to follow along with you as you adopt little baby #3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful (and exhausting) to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! This is WONDERFUL news!!! So excited for you guys and what God has in store for you next!

    ReplyDelete