Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blizzard of 2010!

Well, I'm sure you're tired of me posting about the snow... but really, nothing can compare to what happened the past couple of days. Being a California girl, I freak out over a couple of inches. (And actually, so does most of DC!) We're not used to these huge storms and school is generally closed when we get just a couple of inches. As you have noticed - I run out and take pictures anytime the white stuff starts falling. :)

But this time we actually had a blizzard. Starting Friday at 11am it snowed for 30 hours straight and we got over 28 inches!! UNREAL. I cannot imagine when our street will be plowed or when we will be able to get out. Literally, we couldn't open our doors yesterday without some brute force to push the snow out of the way. Crazy!! I know school will be closed for awhile, but I really hope my hubby can stay home on Monday.

We were supposed to have our IF support group on Saturday morning - but that has been changed to next Saturday. I hope everyone can still make it next weekend.

I definitely was prepared to be snowed in. I have enough food to feed an army! Friday I came home with a pizza from our favorite local place. Saturday morning we had a big breakfast: waffles with fresh fruit, eggs, and bacon. I made a huge pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup for lunch and Spinach Pesto Ziti for dinner. Oh, and a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Ha ha! I have enough leftovers for the entire week! I enjoy cooking and baking when I'm stuck inside and I've got the time.

Oh, and it looks like we'll be watching Mass on TV this morning. I can't believe we're actually going to miss Sunday Mass!

My hubby scooping our porch.

Me in the backyard. Can you see how high the snow is at our fence???

28 inches

The snow chiling our wine!

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys didn't lose power!

    How crazy is this snow?! I knew we were expecting up to 3 feet, but I don't think my mind had processed exactly what that meant...
    Enjoy your quiet, snowed-in Sunday! I'm going to do some cooking today too, I think :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I simply cannot imagine! how amazing is that. Stay safe, and warm. Thanks for the pictures, being a Louisiana girl, I cannot imagine that much snow either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually looks like so much fun! I guess it is because I have only experienced that much snow once and we had fun playing in it!
    Hope you both are able to enjoy that wine and some fun time together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in Central NJ got a ton of snow too, but only 18 inches (haha, ONLY!) We actually got a huge storm like you did back in December. I absolutely love snow storms once in a while, because it gives me the opportunity to be a hermit without feeling guilty! Plus, I get to spend some QT with my boys (hubby and furry boy) Like you I'm also a teacher and am already calling "no school" for tomorrow. The only thing that stinks about all the days off is that we have no days built in ... so we'll probably be going to school until June 30th! There's also been talk about possibly taking away some of our spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of snow. I'm glad that we don't get that much snow here in Louisiana (or in SE Texas for that matter). I had to deal with about that much snow when I was in grad school in Philly about 7 years ago. Digging out is no fun. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we'd gotten some more of that here in NC! We just got slush. And not 28 inches of it, either. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy the snow! Granted I live in MN so we have have gotten a bunch of snow so far this year already, more in bits and spurts than a big dumping overall. But they are predicting about 10 inches over today and tomorrow. Unfortunately, though, they rarely cancel school, and even more rarely do they cancel work. I have only had 1 official day cancelled at my company in the last 5 1/2 years. and that was for a storm that dumped 15-20 inches in a very short amount of time. It seems everyone and their brother around here has a snowthrower or plow attached to their truck so we usually get back out pretty soon. However, it is definitely inconvenient sometime, but I just love, love, love how it makes everything look so pure and beautiful! Enjoy it while it lasts and enjoy your time off! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being from a snowier climate than this one, I'm always skeptical with predictions of a "blizzard." But they weren't messing around this time. I think you guys got even more snow than we did - we have at least two feet, but I was able to dig myself out in (no exaggeration) three straight hours of shoveling, so I'm hoping for a grocery run, 5PM Mass, and a Superbowl party. I don't have homemade chocolate chip cookies, though :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Cannoli! You got a lot more than we did! Have fun!!!! Yay, no school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot believe this snow! That is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! That is a LOT of snow! Have fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe how much snow you've gotten!! It's the top story on pretty much every newscast up here!!! I have some serious snow day envy going on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!! I love that last pic of the wine bottle in the snow!!

    I say enjoy every last minute of that beautiful snow!!

    I also cannot help but wonder whether God might be saying to everyone, "Be Still and know that I am God."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to use the snow for practical things (wine chilling)! I am pretty sure that you have had much more snow that we have in northern Ohio. Enjoy it for us! Oh, and seriously enjoy the snow days, we don't get many of those.

    ReplyDelete