I love Lent... I really do! In general I love all the liturgical seasons. Maybe it's because I get restless and I'm ready for a change. Or maybe it's because I like goal-setting and structured amounts of time. Or perhaps it's because I constantly need to return to the Lord. Every season or feast is a reminder of God's love for us and our need to return to Him.
I have always "enjoyed" Lent because I like a challenge. I know that I can always do more prayer, fasting and almsgiving in my life. While it can be overwhelming to make a lifelong change, it's very do-able to make a 40-day change. A few of my previous Lenten observances have even lasted beyond Lent, so there is hope for that too.
My infertility is another reason that I'm looking forward to Lent. I continue to struggle with this cross I am carrying. I know that Lent will help me unite my suffering to Christ and learn from His cross.
This morning I started praying about Lent and what I'm going to do. This year it's important to me to make a "good" Lent because of our pilgrimage. I have already started preparing my heart for this special trip and I want to continue that preparation during Lent. I still can't believe that soon we will be in Lourdes and that we will spend Holy Week in Rome! It's starting to feel a bit more real.
My husband and I are going to pray the St. Louis de Montfort preparation for total consecration (to Jesus, through Mary.) If we begin on February 20 it will end on March 25 (the Feast of the Annunciation) which is the day we leave for France. We prayed this once before - leading up to our wedding. I'm so glad that we're going to do this again. Generally we try to pray together after dinner, so this will increase our prayer during Lent.
In terms of fasting, I generally give up sweets during Lent. I have a huge sweet tooth, so it's pretty difficult for me! But since I have been doing this every Lent for many years I also feel the need to give up something else. Last year I tried to limit my time on the internet. I feel God calling me to something similar this year... perhaps giving up Facebook??? That would be a huge sacrifice for me - I'm on there all the time! I need to pray about this more over the next couple of days.
I'm not so sure what to do regarding almsgiving. This is one area of Lent that I don't always focus on. Any suggestions here? Any advice on something to do besides simply making a financial contribution somewhere?
Yesterday was the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. My hubby and I completed our novena and it was nice to pray it together. Actually, doing that novena is what got me thinking about Lent. As I mentioned, we prayed the novena for our pilgrimage and also for our friend L. Her due date was yesterday and thankfully she didn't go into labor during all the crazy snowstorms! The roads are still a mess, but it's so much better than the past week.
I'm hoping to get a few productive things accomplished today. My hubby had to go into work, so today is the first day I'm home alone. We had SUCH a great week relaxing together! It was so wonderful to be lazy and just hang out. I did start to get a little stir crazy, but I really can't complain. We never lost power, we had plenty of food and we can stream Netflix through our blu-ray player. It was so great! In a way, it was an unexpected vacation.
We started watching all of the old episodes of Lost in order. It's been so fun - we've made it through season 1 and most of season 2. It's hard to believe that this show started before we were married! I have a tendency to get confused, so it's been helpful for me to remember all the details from old episodes.
Yesterday we watched an episode in which Sun gets diagnosed with endometriosis. (Does anyone remember this???) It probably aired sometime in 2005, back when I knew nothing about endo. It was interesting to see how they portrayed it on TV. They don't mention what kinds of tests were run, but the doctor comes out and tells Sun that she has extensive endo blocking her tubes and she will never conceive. I immediately turned to my hubby and said, "There's no way he could diagnose that without doing a lap!" Ha ha... he just laughed at me and said, "Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that you're a doctor now." :) In terms of the plot, she doesn't end up having endo - it's actually Jin who is infertile. But I found it interesting to see endometriosis mentioned on Lost. I wonder what I thought when I first saw that episode? No doubt I was blissfully ignorant back then.
Things are starting to get back to normal after our crazy snow-filled week. In seven days we have gotten the newspaper twice and the mail once. It's been surreal to be literally stuck inside the house. Unfortunately it will probably take awhile before the roads are really back to normal - they are still such a mess. It makes both driving and walking difficult. I had a little trouble getting out of our driveway when I took my hubby to the metro, so I will do a bit more shoveling this afternoon. I have a few plans this weekend - including our IF support group meeting. Hopefully everyone is able to make it without too much trouble.
Weird! I don't remember that episode of Lost. We started watching them while we were in Korea - we were a season behind I think - and it was before I knew anything about endo, so no surprise that it didn't make an impression on me.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to meet with everyone this weekend! I was worried that the snow wouldn't be cleared enough by tomorrow, but I think we should be fine (may have trouble parking, though!).
i think i am the only person on the planet who's not watching lost! our good friends were huge alias fans, and started lost as soon as it began, but we just never watched.
ReplyDeletei've been thinking about lent as well, figuring out what to give up, etc... maybe for almsgiving you could give to a local food bank every week?
sounds like y'all had a nice little mini vacation break with the snow storm, but know you are ready to get back to normal.
Haha, you and I are on the opposite sides of the spectrum regarding Lent...I dread it.
ReplyDeleteJust think, if we all go to the island our infertility would disapear. I would put up with the smoke monster for that.
I am "Lost" clueless, but that part of your post made me smile. I can totally see my dh saying that to me-I am sure he has already a few times!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing what you are thinking of doing. It is helping me reflect as well.
Glad things are starting to turn around there!
I'm lost when it comes to Lost as well.
ReplyDeleteOn the almsgiving, you could fast for a day and donate the food you would've eaten (or the money) to a food bank. One Lent my DH and I came up with 40 random things and then drew one each day of lent. This was one that we put in there a couple of times.
I'm so excited about your trip. My Aunt has been several times.
I thought I was the only one that didn't watch Lost! I'm so glad that I'm not all alone!
ReplyDeleteYour post made me think about what I'm going to do during Lent. The one thing that I'm going to do is say the rosary every day, not just the days that I run the rosary club at my school. Other than that and giving up pop, I'm stumped.
Btw, I'm still jealous that you had a snowcation!!!
I am still discerning what to give up for lent too. Thanks for the thought starters. Hey, the morning prayer antiphon (per the Magnificat) was Jer 29:11. I thought of you! Two days in a row, I think God is calling me to pray for you in a special way...okay, off to do that now!
ReplyDeleteHey, Joy beyond the Cross beat me to telling you about the Magnificat today!! I was thinking of you this morning.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful prayer life you and your DH have, we really need to step up!
As for Lent, I have already started to give up TV one day a week (a day I am home) for a friend that is making a Cursillo. It is SO hard and I am so grumpy by the end of the day. I hope to be better by the time lent rolls around.
As for the almsgiving, have you thought about maybe doing a one time volunteer day? You could go to a soup kitchen or food pantry or something. We tithe all year and I'm not sure we could increase at this time but DH and I need to talk about it. :)
I absolutely love doing the Consecration with DH... it is doubly special, I think, that way.
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE Lent, too! Definately my favorite liturgical season.
I don't remember that episode, I missed many of the 1st season episodes tho since I started watching them on re-run the summer before the 2nd season... but it's funny you reacted that way, I remember watching a re-run of 90210 last year, and they told Kelly the same thing... I had the same reaction as you, "Yeah right!" They also told her she could never conceive. (Even though she was currently miscarrying when they told her that???!!)
How wonderful it will be to go on your pilgrimage! I long to go someday.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your preparations for Lent. It looks like you've made some great reflections on what God is calling you to do. They give me some ideas too.
You did not just say "I love Lent," did you? :)
ReplyDeleteIn terms of almsgiving - when I was working in Detroit, I would walk by lots of homeless people every day on my way to Mass. (Back when I was going to Mass a lot more!) I didn't want to give them money, because I knew they were hungry and didn't know whether they'd spend the money on food. But McD.onald's has these things (you have to ask for them) called "McD.onald's bucks" - bought for $1 each, they're redeemable for $1 worth of their food. I bought a bunch of those and handed them out. While I really liked that, I don't think it would work this year - I just don't see enough homeless people. I don't know whether you do.
If not, what about volunteering at a soup kitchen? (I know the MoC have one in Anacostia, and I have been thinking of going. Maybe I should go every Saturday morning in Lent! Hey, I could actually do that! Thanks!)
Ash Wednesday is tomorrow! I like the 40 day - giving something up thing too. It is so much more accomplishable than a New Year's Resolution. Last year we gave up discretionary spending and during Lent we looked at our earnings and made a goal for how much we wanted to donate during the year. We also made a list of charities we definitely wanted to give too and picked a month for each of them. It was a good way to make us accountable for almsgiving throughout the year. I hope you have a fruitful Lent. With the pilgrimage coming up, it is sure to be a great one!
ReplyDelete