Does anyone else find God when they workout/exercise?
This week I have tried to get back into a good routine of exercising, and since we have an elliptical machine I really have no excuse, but unfortunately I have been on a lazy-streak for awhile now.
And I've noticed that my workout time often turns into prayer time. It's probably because I'm not an athlete and if I didn't pray or offer it up, I might not get through my workout! I don't always enjoy it, but I know it's good for me. I usually feel much better afterwards and have more energy for the rest of the day.
I usually listen to praise and worship music, which also inspires me to keep going and to work a little harder. (Ha ha... it's funny because I'm only talking about 30 minutes here!) Anyways, I end up doing a lot of thinking and praying during that time.
Yesterday I was remembering all of the thoughts/prayers from my workouts pre-Tommy. For years I prayed and prayed on that elliptical machine for our future children and wondered when/how it would happen. Some days it hits me that I'm actually a mom. Even after 8 months, I still can't believe that all of it really happened.
My prayers are full of so much gratitude these days. And yet I still wonder about the future. What is next? Will we ever conceive? Will we adopt again? How long will it take? I guess life will always be like this, in one way or another.
Like most Januarys, I am trying (again) to get back on track in terms of eating right, exercising, praying more, getting organized, keeping the house clean, etc. In a way I feel like I'm always starting over with these things, but I guess that is part of the human condition.
I really miss going to daily Mass, but it's impossible right now with Tommy's morning schedule. His afternoon nap gets screwed up three days a week when we go to school, so I'm really trying to keep his mornings consistent. For some reason it's hard for me to pray regularly in the morning at home. (I say this as I'm blogging at 7:00am.) Hmmmm... as always, it's a matter of prioritizing and making it happen.
I'm really looking forward to my retreat in two weeks. Even though I'm only going for the day, I know that it will do wonders for my soul. Last year's retreat, which I blogged about here, was fabulous. It inspired my devotion to St. Joseph and I'm so glad we chose Joseph for Tommy's middle name.
The day before the retreat we will be in court finalizing Tommy's adoption. We have so much to be thankful for... thank you Lord!
St. Thomas Aquinas, pray for us.
St. Joseph, pray for us.
Oh yes...I do some of my best thinking and praying while I run. Exercise is a great way to clear your head and things that weigh on my heart often (unexpectedly) rise to the surface. Gives me a chance to ruminate and sort out my feelings and come up with an action plan for things that bother me.
ReplyDeleteDo you ever write blog posts in your head while you exercise? If only I actually wrote those posts...
Where is the retreat you are going to? I had a similar retreat experience last year, pre-Sarah.
YEA for finalization!!!!!!! Almost here!
ReplyDeletegreat post at another catholic mama blog about NOT being upset about missing daily mass - i read it right before coming over here, so i'd thought i'd share :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.cooperfamilyfarm.com/fbp/index.php/2011/01/on-the-obligation-to-perform-certain-pious-activities/
and i might pray while i exercised.... if i ever exercsied :-p
aw that's awesome! you really do have a lot to be thankful for! but i totally get the continued wondering and unanswered questions. those are hard. and they always seem to be there. once one gets answered another comes. i think you're right; it's just life i guess.
ReplyDeleteHuh. I find my exercise time to be a religious experience, too, but for different reasons. In the first place, it’s about as frequent as Jesus walking on water so me on an exercise machine truly qualifies as miraculous. In the second, I loathe every minute of it and have to pray constantly to make it one more minute, mile, step, etc. WHEN I do manage to do it, I do find it clears my head and I think of all sorts of things. I need to try it more often. ;) (People who don't know me and my sense of humor must think I'm a freak when they read this stuff!)
ReplyDeleteI do not know what your future holds, but I’m looking forward to finding out. I’m still in awe of Tommy’s story and all the experiences you’ve been through this past year. What a joy it was to be able to witness it.
It doesn't work for me, but I go to the YMCA to exercise and it's a bit too noisy/too many people plus I do work hard and simply can't concentrate and keep up the pace. The best time for me is usually during J's swimming lesson.
ReplyDeleteFunny! I've definitely found that praying helps my time on the elliptical. I find it particularly helpful to offer up minutes for people I'm praying for. I've even been known to say the Rosary while on it too! I like working out, but I get bored doing the same thing for 30 minutes - so distractions are welcome. :) Enjoy your retreat - I'm going on mine next week! Oh - and congratulations on the finalization!! (ps. - I'm a new blogger and have been following yours for a few months. I love reading about Tommy's story! God is so good!!)
ReplyDeleteI am training for my 4th 1/2 Marathon...I find that the discipline I need to bring to exercise spills over into all other areas of my life as a mom of 6, including my prayer life. I also find the quiet-time running alone turns my thoughts to prayer...
ReplyDeleteRight now (Chicago winter) I am finding God on the treadmill!
This is so funny! I did a post awhile back about finding God with a jump rope!
ReplyDeletehttp://momandthensome.blogspot.com/2010/05/where-have-i-been.html
Ann's comment cracked me up, ha ha ha!
ReplyDeletePraying for you today on this very special feast of St. Thomas!
ReplyDelete