Thursday, September 15, 2011

Some Updates

It's been busy around here - what else is new? So here are a few updates on what we've been up to.

I'm happy to report that my first week of teaching went really well! I'm so happy with my new schedule - I teach Monday and Wednesday mornings from 8:30 - 10:15am. It's the same amount of time as last year, except that I only have to go in two days instead of three days - so that makes a big difference. I will teach a drama class during the first half of the year and direct the musical during the second half.

I am so blessed to have a lovely mom who watches Tommy for me. (Her nephews call her Dot Dot, so that is what Tommy calls her.) She is the kindest woman, a former nurse and a great mom. She spoils Tommy more than I do and she watches him just "for fun." :) Her older daughter just started college and her younger daughter is in seventh grade at my school. It's so perfect because we meet at school in the morning and she either takes Tommy to the park or to run errands with her. Tommy is very comfortable around her and close to her since she also watched him last year. I am so blessed to have her in my life, especially since our family is so far away.

Last weekend was the kickoff party for the high school youth group. We had our monthly Youth Mass at 5pm (which I sang for) and the party from 6-8pm. I rented a dunk tank and our priest agreed to go in. It was so much fun! We had a pretty good turnout, so I was happy with that. I'm always trying hard to recruit more teens, but it's so hard to get them to commit to coming regularly. I spent the whole day getting everything ready and I'm so grateful for my sweet husband's help. He took Tommy to the park when I needed to get things done and he handled the food for the party.

It was a crazy weekend because I also sang for three Masses on Sunday. We had a special choir with beautiful music to commemorate 9/11. Our director chose some gorgeous pieces and I know the congregation was touched. Music is such a gift in my life, and I love seeing how deeply it touches others. Needless to say, I was exhausted by the end of the weekend.

Last Friday we had our final visit by our Social Worker for Homestudy #2. I am SO READY to be finished with it and get on the waiting list. We still have a few paperwork details to sort out (mostly regarding our medical forms since our TB and HIV tests recently expired -ugh, such a pain!) After the SW writes her report, and we review it, we should be officially approved.

Today I'm taking Tommy to get his blood drawn for the allergy tests. I hope and pray it goes well!

7 comments:

  1. The thought of going through a Home Study again, let alone several more for each adoption, gives me incredible agida. I commend you for keeping your eyes on the prize!
    Happy Feast Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the final Home Study visit! :)
    I'm always in awe of people who sing so beautifully ... what a great gift you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting closer to having Homestudy #2 completed! I also admire your creative abilities....singing, music, drama classes, etc. Makes for a fun and rewarding life for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the blood draw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exciting about your home study!! I feel like great things are about to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great teaching schedule!

    Good luck at Tommy's blood test!

    ReplyDelete