Friday, December 9, 2011

Quick Takes

(1) I'm alive. I'm still here. Maybe you didn't notice that I was "gone" but it feels like forever since I blogged. And for some reason it's harder for me to post once it's been awhile, I guess I feel to pressure to make it a good one... or maybe I think it has to be long since I'm catching up. I love the convenience of Quick Takes!

(2) Things have been busy over here - two long plane trips less than a week apart (California for my reunion and then Nebraska for Thanksgiving) - and it doesn't help that Tommy got sick as soon as we returned. Thankfully he's on the mend now, but it lasted for almost a week and unfortunately, today I'm starting to feel sick. And of course we are busy getting everything together for Christmas. We always travel to see our families, so I feel the pressure of getting everything done even earlier because we usually leave town a week or so before Christmas. The good news is I think I'm almost done with everything on my to do list.

(3) Advent is one of my favorite seasons and I'm trying my hardest to stay focused on the true reason for the season. Participating in prayer buddies really helps. It's easier for me to be diligent about praying when I know it's for someone else. Especially when I'm praying specifically for thier intentions.

(4) I was nominated by two bloggers for the Liebster Award! Thank you to E from Finding Joy in Every Journey and C from Always Giving Thanks.
(5) I am taking a Beginners Knitting class and it's so much fun! I learned a long time ago from a friend, but I definitely needed to re-learn. I'm hoping to make a hat as my first project.

(6) I have left three messages at Dr. S's office this week and haven't heard back from them. My HCG prescription has run out and I really need them to fax it in so they can ship my order. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.

(7) Santa came a little early at our house... my hubby and I decided to get a new camera as our gift to ourselves. I have admired my friends' cameras for awhile now (coveted perhaps?) and we decided on the Nikon D3100 digital SLR. I'm so excited!! Any advice from those of you with a similar camera?

10 comments:

  1. Just point and shoot.....K gave me great advice. Use natural lighting without the flash. Pictures are amazing!!!! :)- I just suffer from good natural light in the house and a kid that will sit still. :) Go figure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and do not stop calling that office....Has your thyroid been checked? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you are sick. Exciting about the new camera. You have to have a good camera for that cute little face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you--I was thinking about you the other day when I was in your neck of the woods. Yay for the camera! I have the d3000 (older version) and the only thing I can add to what Sew said is perhaps consider budgeting for a different lens...or better yet, see if you can buy just the body of the camera and get the lens you want from the get-go. The original lens that the camera comes with is just ok IMO...a 35mm or 50mm lens will allow for much much better indoor/low light photography than the 18-55mm lens. Regardless...just get out there and shoot with it! You won't regret the purchase! Best baby investment ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay ! So glad you got the camera! You will love it. I'm hopefully getting the lens Mrs. Mike mentioned for Christmas, but I've made due with the one it came with for a year and it wasn't bad. You just have to stick T in that natural light!! Can't wait to see your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to read an update! I can't imagine having to fly all over the place like you do! I complain about driving an hour!

    Can't wait to see photos of T with the new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the same camera we got - we bought it at Costco and it came with a second lens. I would say, the best pics are taken with lots of natural light. Unfortunately, our house is seriously lacking in light, but outside shots come out amazing! Enjoy it - it's so much fun. Even our crappiest shots are better than my old point and shoot ones ever were :).
    We oughta have another get-together after the holidays. I missed the last one, and am dying to see everyone again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for a new camera! I hope you do a post about it, b/c we need to get one too, not just take pics with our "camera phones." Pics from them don't come out that great.
    I hope you don't get sick. Ugh! So glad T is feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been thinking about you lately! I am finally back on the blogs and getting caught up with everyone's story.

    Check out the newest chapter of our story on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how u feel after not having posted in awhile!! It's kind of stressful! :) it's been a long time for me! God bless on the knitting. I took a class but could just never get it!

    ReplyDelete