Ahhh, Lent is here.
I don't have time to write much. I just came home from my women's prayer group. I love these gals! We spend about half of our evening chatting and the other having of our evening "sharing" - which is really more chatting. :) Just kidding! It's always a very fruitful evening. We did a little Lectio Divinia with the Ash Wednesday readings and read through a reflection about God's call to use during Lent.
I am always struck by the line from Joel, "Return to me with your whole heart..." No matter where I'm at in my spiritual life, I always need to return to the Lord. I feel the call to come back. Like the prodigal son, God welcomes me back every time with open arms.
And this line from 2 Corinthians always gives me comfort, "We appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For he says: In an acceptable time I heard you, and on the day of salvation I helped you." It reassures me that the Lord hears my prayers and will answer them in His time.
This line from Matthew, "Your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you," reminds me that the Lord sees all things. My relationship with Him is what is most important and I am trying yet again to make my prayer life a priority each day.
I am giving up facebook for Lent and in just two days I can already feel the difference. (Sad, but true!) I am on my phone less and more aware of the world around me. I'm sure it has something to do with the mild weather we've been having, but I've spent a lot of time outside and it's been good for my soul. (I actually wore flip-flops today!) I am already craving spring and more sunshine.
I will leave you with a great Lenten (meatless) recipe that is a favorite in our house:
Veggie Polenta Bake
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 eggplant (diced)
1 zucchini (diced)
1 pepper (green/yellow/red - diced)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 C water
10 oz baby spinach
1 1/2 C marinara sauce (I use Arrabbiata sauce from Trader Joe's and think it's yummy!)
1/2 C chopped fresh basil
14 oz prepared polenta (sliced lengthwise into 6 thin slices)
1 1/2 C mozzarella (I use 3/4 C mozzarella and 3/4 C parmesan)
-Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
-Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, pepper, salt and pepper and cook; stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender and just beginning to brown. Add water and spinach, cover and cook until wilted, stirring once, about 3 minutes. Stir marinara sauce into the veggies and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
-Place polenta slices in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 3/4 C cheese (mozzarella), top with the eggplant mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 C cheese (Parmesan.) Bake until bubbling and the cheese has just melted, 12-15 minutes. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!
That bake looks awesome!!!! I'm not sure I've ever had polenta!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if it's because I actually feel really good since last Friday or if I really spent that much time on Facebook. I'm really considering giving it up for good because I feel so much more at peace. I feel like Facebook doesn't own me. It was really bad how much time I spent on it.
It won't help me get to heaven. And at that rate I was heading to hell in a hand basket.......I really like not having Facebook!
I deleted my facebook account last August and it was the spiritual step that changed my life. I miss some out of town family and friends pictures, but other than that, I HAVE NO DESIRE to go back.
ReplyDeleteI think I am going to make that bake next Friday! YUMMY!
Hope you have a Blessed Lent!
ReplyDeleteI tried your Polenta Vegetable Bake tonight for supper and it was a HUGE success! I added some quartered mushrooms and two shredded carrots just to sneak in a few more veggies for Catie, and she enjoyed a few bites before realizing she was actually eating veggies. Anywho, thanks so much for a great meatless recipe!
ReplyDeleteJulie