On Wednesday our good friends from Maryland arrived to help us out. They stayed in our hotel and spent time with Tommy so my hubby and I could actually have some time together. It was so helpful to have some extra hands around. And it was great for my hubby and I to have some time with Molly together.
On Thursday Molly had an "off" day. She was really fussy, had an upset stomach and was not feeding well. Her stomach was constantly rumbling, she had diarrhea and was so unhappy. This was her first time to have any of these symptoms after a perfect week of weaning. We were definitely concerned and afraid she wouldn't be discharged on time.
The nurses weren't sure what was the cause - the morning nurse had given her the wrong dose of clonidine (she weaned her one dose too early,) it was her first day with no morphine, and also she had switched formulas (from the premie formula to a regular one.)
We had to leave the hospital for a couple of hours around dinner time to meet with our social worker. When I got back to the hopsital the nurse told me that Molly got a high number for her withdrawal score. I was afraid that she was taking a step backwards and it was frustrating that the nurses weren't sure what was the cause. I ended up spending the night in her room because she was only calm/peaceful while she was being held and rocked.
Her midnight feeding went well and she actually laid down to sleep. The nurses told me to sleep and that they would wake me if need be. They did her 3am feeding and in the morning she was much better! It seems that the formula was to blame so we are back on the premie formula for now. (The NICU pediatrician put her on it the day after she was born when her feedings weren't going well.) We will try to switch again later, but not until we see our Pediatrician at home.
At some point on Thursday we realized that Molly could be discharged on Friday evening since the nurse had accidentally speeded up her weaning. The 24 hour observation period ended at 6:30pm on Friday and we were able to leave that night. It was so wonderful to unhook her from all the monitors and drive away from the hospital with her!
Here are some pics that I finally downloaded from the good camera...
Yawn! Where is this baby you've been talking about?
Looking through the nursery window.
Playing in the waiting room.
Our first view of Molly through the nursery window!
First glimpse of Molly up close after they let me in.
My view from inside the nursery.
Holding hands.
Hanging out in Labor and Delivery. This was our room for two days! Tommy was watching some cartoons.
Under the heater when her temps were low.
Hanging out in our room in Peds - Tommy was having a snack and watching Netflix on my phone.
Our view of the courtyard... can you see Tommy playing with his ball?
Snuggling with Miss Molly.
Kisses for my sweet boy.
Gentle kiss for his baby sister.
Our first family photo.
In the NICU with a feeding tube.
Up close just a few hours after delivery.

















Soooo beautiful!!! So are you guys still here?
ReplyDeleteAll stunning, absolutely stunning - she is amazing! So beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI just realized I can't wait for this year's Christmas card!!!! :)
When do you get to travel, have you gone yet?
This post makes me happy! I am sorry that Molly had a rough day last week but so exciting that you were still able to be discharged. Praise God! Continued prayers for you.
ReplyDeleteSo happy you are home! How is little Molly doing this week? I pray she is doing well and you are having fun at home as a family of four!!!
ReplyDeleteThis makes me cry! The pictures are so beautiful! I can't wait to meet her one day :)
ReplyDeleteI'm crying for you! So many bumps-but still a beautiful story!
ReplyDeleteYour Molly is the sweetest little baby. I'm so glad she's feeling better again! And you're HOME!!! (or at least out of the hospital). I love all the photos you shared ... I can't see enough of them and love the happiness in each one of the photos - it comes right through my screen. :-)
ReplyDeleteShe is beautiful. So glad you are all home now.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! She is beautiful!
ReplyDelete