Monday, June 24, 2013

Eight Years

Today my hubby and I celebrate eight years of marriage! Thank you Lord for this incredible gift!

It's hard for me to believe we've been married this long.  We watched our wedding video this weekend with the kids and I was so emotional. I was feeling so much nostalgia, love and joy. But I was also feeling so very different from that girl who said "I do" eight years ago. I was definitely a lot thinner back then (*sigh*) but also so carefree. In watching myself I was so young and innocent. I was so perky and joyful.

It makes me feel that now I am so old and beaten down by life.  Maybe that's a touch dramatic, but I definitely feel the toll that infertility, adoption and life with two little ones has taken. Obviously my life these days is consumed with meeting the needs of my kids. And we have so much more responsibility than we did back then. There are always seems to be big decisions to be made and it can be exhausting. 

I want to be more like my happier and healthier old self, while embracing all that these eight years have taught me and given me. Not sure what that means exactly, but I do think it's a choice to be joyful in the midst of a crying baby and whiney toddler. I love this life I've been given. And even though it drives me crazy when I feel like I can't accomplish anything besides taking care of the kids, I want to cherish these moments. 

I am so lucky and blessed to be married to my dear husband. We both realize that we need to make more time for each other and we are planning a night away soon.

It's been crazy around here - hence my lack of posting - but hopefully I will do some catching up soon. :)



7 comments:

  1. G you were a STUNNING Bride but I think you are even MORE beautiful now than you were then! Something about the glow of a woman fulfilling her vocation and surrounded by love enfleshed. Mothering can be SO draining - I wonder if everyone has to get to that "beaten down" moment before learning some of the key ways to feel a little more cared for and alive in the midst of the struggle. Of course, occasional stomach bugs ensure that none of us can truly escape being beaten down permanently! Marriage and parenting are harder than I ever imagined - but also far better too. Praying for your amazing marriage and beautiful family tonight! Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 8 years of marriage!!
    You were a Beautiful Bride!!
    We have 12 years behind us and I feel so old and worn out. I think part of it is just plain age. We are not getting any younger and don't have the energy we used to have....meaning it doesn't take as much to wear us down as it used to.
    Contentment is key. I keep reminding myself that today as the whole family (me the worst for some reason) have summer colds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this...happy anniversary G! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the picture! Happy EIGHTH Anniversary!!!
    And yes, the worn down and old feeling is here with us nearing 7 years in about a month ... but only one child, so you must be feeling MUCH more worn down with two!

    ReplyDelete