Sunday, June 19, 2011

Burst

I read this book last week and I highly recommend it!

It's a great story about the author's life - including many trials and crosses - and how his faith was strengthened through it all, by the grace of God. In addition to other topics, he discusses infertility, adoption and Lourdes - so you know why I felt a strong connection to the book.

I also happen to know the author, Kevin. We've never met in person, but a mutual priest friend put us in touch a couple of years ago when my husband and I first began pursuing adoption. It was the summer of 2008 and we had no clue where to begin - we didn't know anyone else who had gone through the adoption process (at least in recent years and/or in our area.) I emailed back and forth with Kevin and his wife. They were extremely helpful during those early months of figuring out where to begin.

The following summer Kevin's brother Dave was a seminarian at our parish. I learned more about their family and realized they were a "famous" family in our archdiocese, so to speak. Their uncle, a Monsignor named Tommy, was murdered in his rectory in the year 2000. Even though I didn't live in the area at that time, I have heard about this amazing priest and the legacy he left behind - including many young men who entered the seminary because of his inspiration.

The book is a great read for anyone, but I really enjoyed all of the local connections. Kevin mentions people, places, churches, and retreat centers that I am very familiar with, so I loved all of the personal connections. I was in need of some good spiritual reading and his book came at a perfect time. I highly suggest that you read it!

3 comments:

  1. ha! i went to grade school with david wells (now fr. wells) and i think Kevin was a few years ahead of me. Fr. David was just ordained a year ago.

    too funny what a small catholic world it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lady... I'm going to look into it! When can I see you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I read this book after hearing Kevin speak at a local Women's Holy Hour and again at a Lenten Retreat this spring. Fascinating story and I particularly identified with their struggle with IF and then adoption. Like you, it was really cool to see the names of local people, priests and parishes that I'm familiar with. Most recently, I was inspired to attend a Healing Mass with Fr. Jim Stack a couple of weeks ago after reading the account of his healing in the book.

    ReplyDelete