Friday, September 16, 2011

Quick Takes

(1) I'm happy to report that Tommy's blood draw yesterday went well. It was a bit of a drive to Children's Hospital but I still think it was worth the effort. As I've mentioned, Tommy is not a fan of doctors and nurses. Just taking his temperature or listening to his heartbeat gets him upset. Thankfully the phlebotomist was quick and efficient. She found his vein on the first try, which couldn't have been easy because he was screaming, crying and flailing around. Even with me holding him tightly, it took some effort for her to pin down his arm - which left only one arm/hand for her to do the rest. Tommy usually has such a sweet disposition and it pains me to see him so upset. I'm always amazed at how strong he is when he's trying to get away from something. Thankfully he got over it pretty quickly.

(2) Since we were in downtown DC we decided to stop by my hubby's work to say hello and join him for lunch. It was a nice treat after getting Tommy's blood drawn. My husband has great co-workers and they love seeing Tommy, so it was fun to stop by. I am so proud of my husband and the work he does (he develops affordable housing.) He recently won an award at work and also had the grand opening of a new building. I know that I don't tell him often enough, but I am so proud of him! And I am grateful that he works hard to provide for our family.

(3) When I woke up this morning the temperatures were in the mid-40s and I loved it! I absolutely love fall and I can't decide which to make first - chili, chicken-tortilla soup, cornbread, pumpkin muffins, etc. Ahhh, of course it's all about food. :)

(4) I'm wearing jeans and a long-sleeve shirt for the first time in a looong time. I had to dig deep in my closet to find them. I guess this means I have to find my non-flip-flop shoes.

(5) Thankfully this weekend should be a little more relaxing than last weekend. I'm planning to attend a talk/reflection at church tomorrow morning and then of course there's college football on the rest of the day! Thankfully Nebraska and USC play at different times. The past two weekends the games have been at the same time, which is not good for my marriage. :) I'm singing for two Masses Sunday morning and then our regular youth group night in the evening.

(6) Does anyone else have trouble with their toddler throwing food? I'm sure Tommy isn't the only one, but it's gotten worse lately. Every meal it's like a game to him. I know he understands what "no" means, but I don't think he's old enough to be "disobeying" me on purpose. Does that make sense? I'm tired of all the back-and-forth, not to mention the complete mess that he leaves behind.

(7) Overall, I am really enjoying toddler-hood with Tommy. It's so much fun to watch him explore the world around him and play with him in a new way. He absolutely LOVES being outside and we spend a lot of time picking up acorns, leaves, sticks and anything he can find. Although I'm a little worried about when winter comes. Hopefully we can find some indoor gyms and play-places to explore when it's too cold to play outside.

8 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the blood drawing went well. I hope you have answers soon!
    PS. I wouldn't say no to a copy of your pumpkin muffin recipe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the blood draw went well. And I love the weather too! I lived in Northern Va a few years ago and miss it so much! It's beautiful there during the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to read that the blood draw went so well despite Tommy's efforts. Good choice to go to a place that has experience in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making soup for the first time in a LONG time today! It's pretty brisk outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the food choices sound fantastic. I am totally with you, cool weather is all about food. I just bought a pumpkin muffin mix and made taco soup :)
    We have avoided blood draws so far, but I can only imagine they would be so awful for everyone involved. I have def thought more than once that there are an awful lot of lab lady saints in heaven :)
    I have no good advice about the food throwing. He may be "disobeying" because it is a fun game, but I would just say that he must not be that hungry if he doesn't mind putting it on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about food for me too! I just made chili this week and I can't wait to find more fun fall recipes! Glad you're having a good fall so far!

    Angela :)
    www.habitformingsuccess.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the blood draw went ok. :)

    I hate the food throwing, too. I do figure that when miss E starts chucking the food onto the floor, then we are done. But sometimes I put her down before the dogs get the food and she picks it up and eats it, gross!! Oh, well. I hope that gets better...

    ReplyDelete