I remember being disappointed when the court assigned us our date. We were hoping to finalize in 2010, but our date was in January of 2011. As soon as I wrote down January 28 I realized it was the Feast of St. Thomas Aquinas and chills went up my spine. What are the chances? I couldn't believe it. And even though we had to wait an extra year for our adoption tax credit, I love that my Tommy's special day landed on the feast of St. Thomas.
It was a crazy week last year because of a snowstorm. We lost power and our house was so cold!
We ended up staying in a hotel near the courthouse so that we wouldn't have trouble getting there, and also so that we could have heat/power! We showed up to the courthouse on time, although everything was delayed by two hours because of the weather.
I remember thinking that this day would just be a formality, I wasn't expecting it to be a big deal since Tommy had been our son for 8 months. But I was wrong. It was beautiful to see all the other families who were finalizing their adoptions. I was overwhelmed with emotion when the judge read the official proclamation that Tommy was legally and forever our son. Everyone in the judge's chambers had tears in their eyes and he gave Tommy a little stuffed bear. It was a very special day that I will never forget.

St. Thomas Aquinas, pray for us!
Brought tears to my eye! Love you little Tommy!!
ReplyDeleteAhhhh... perfect!! Happy Adoption Day!
ReplyDeleteHAD! So sweet and what an awesome Feast Day to share in!!! What a great Saint to inspire Tommy!
ReplyDeleteLittle JoAnn
I remember reading your post about it last year! :) Happy adoption day, Tommy!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! What a great picture of you on your big day last year! he is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!! I have tears of joy in my eyes for you and your beautiful family!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Adoption Day Tommy!!!! I have tears of joy in my eyes all over again for you guys!
ReplyDeleteWhat a special day to celebrate such a gift from above!!
ReplyDeletegosh... looking at the pictures made me alll teary! what joy!
ReplyDeleteWell put Mama! It was emotional for both my kids too. Such a special day for Tommy to have his adoption day and his feast day on the same day!! Blessings to your family!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! So happy for you.
ReplyDeleteHappy Adoption Day, Tommy!
ReplyDeleteLove the recap, as I wasn't reading back then to share in your joy!
Happy Adoption Day!! So happy for you...this is lovely!
ReplyDeleteYay! What a happy day to remember!
ReplyDeleteaaaannndd, i just cried right now :) beautiful :) I'm so glad God picked such a special boy just for you - a perfect family! :)
ReplyDelete