Tommy has another cold, poor guy, so we are home dealing with his congestion, cough, etc. He was such a healthy baby, but now I feel like he's catching colds all the time. I'm trying my best to keep his hands clean and keep up the Vitamin C... not sure what else I can do to prevent it. I was able to get a sub to cover my class this morning so I could stay home. I'm so grateful, especially since the weather has been so yucky and snowy.
Today is the March for Life and I really wish I could be there marching. I thought about heading downtown after my class (before Tommy got sick) but hadn't made any firm plans. I get so overwhelmed when thinking about life issues, abortion, adoption, infertility, etc. It's such a blessing to participate in the many events taking place around here - one of the many reasons I love living in the DC area. Yesterday I took our youth group to a concert by Steve Angrisano and it was awesome. I love his music but I love his testimony and his stories even more. (Especially the story of how he and his wife adopted their son!)
I am started to think more and more about school for Tommy. Is that crazy? I'm trying to do some research so that I can make an educated decision. Pre-school? Montessori? What age? Can we afford tuition? How many more children will we have? Will I keep working part-time? I'm sure that we will make the right decision when it's time, but it's hard to think about it all now. I'm hoping to find some more Mommy and Me type classes for us to do some things together now that he is getting older and wanting to explore the world.
Last weekend I was so blessed to go on a retreat. It was a short one - from Saturday morning until lunchtime on Sunday - but it was just what I needed. My friend J (we started our women's prayer group together) organized it and there were 15 of us plus a priest. This is the third year in a row that my friend's spiritual director has agreed to lead our little group on retreat. You might remember this post from two years ago. The theme of that retreat was St. Joseph and it was really powerful for me. I felt such a connection to him and developed a strong devotion. When I look back, this retreat was the beginning of a year full of powerful experiences - including our pilgrimage and Tommy's adoption. (Tommy's middle name is Joseph!)
Anyways, the theme this year was the Three Wise Men. Fr. J gave reflections on these topics: the search, the encounter, and the resulting transformation. As usual, it was just what I needed. We listened to his talks, had silent reflection, group sharing, prayed the Rosary, had Mass each day, Confession and a holy hour of Adoration on Saturday evening. So perfect. We talked a lot about how our encounters with the Lord leave us transformed - our lives will take a different route (just as the Wise Men took a different route home.) I was really struck by this and I noticed that even my favorite Jeremiah passage alludes to this - "When you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you, says the LORD, and I will change your lot."
I will end with a few pictures that I finally downloaded from our camera...
Showing Tommy the Nixon Library (where we had our wedding reception)

Chasing bubbles in the backyard

Before going to Christmas Eve Mass

My parents - my mom always makes a super, yummy Christmas breakfast.
Christmas morning at my parent's house.

Swimming on Christmas Day

Meeting my brother's new dog, Mimi.
Cute pictures and great update. So sorry Tommy is sick. Try probiotics. They will boost his immune system. Whole Foods has some great ones for kids!
ReplyDeleteAhh he's getting so big!!! Love the pics! I've been thinking a lot about school.. basically praying God will make me able to handle homeschooling or suddenly drop some money from the sky ;) It'll be here before we know it!
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you! Adorable pics, he's getting big.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that Tommy is sick. I hope he feels better soon!
ReplyDeleteYour retreat sounds amazing! Especially going in such a small group, I imagine you are able to connect more.
Love all your pics!