Sometimes I forget all about infertility. My life is busy and full of joy. I have so many blessings that I could never repay the Lord for all He has given me. I love my life as a wife and mother. A simple walk around the block with Tommy - listening to the birds chirp and picking up leaves - is enough to make my heart swell. Sometimes I forget that I did not give birth to him.
Other times I cannot forget that I am infertile. And lately there have been so many reminders of this cross that I carry. I have been surrounded by a lot of pregnant bellies and newborn babies. My baby is turning into a very big boy and I long for another tiny baby in my arms. It seems that everywhere I turn I face the topics of infertility, pregnancy and adoption.
Facebook, blogs, friends, family, and even strangers are full of new pregnancy announcements or birth announcements. Even after all this time, I have a hard time balancing the true joy I feel for the other person with the pain of my empty womb. Try as I might, I cannot disassociate these two. Why can we still not conceive when it is so easy for others?
Over the weekend I saw, "What to Expect When You're Expecting." It's a cute movie and of course I knew it was all about pregnancy. I didn't realize just how deeply it would cover the topics of infertility, miscarriage and adoption. For a comedy I think it did a decent job of showing these experiences. Did anyone see the season finale of Modern Family? Again, I wasn't expecting the show to cover the topic of adoption loss. The gay couple that has been waiting to adopt finally gets "the call," but the birthmother decides to parent.
What has been on my mind most is that our social worker called us about a potential birthmother last month. It was the first news we had heard from them since going back on the waiting list in October. It was a complicated situation because the birthmother is in Florida and is working with attorneys there. They requested profiles/photo albums from our agency and we immediately agreed to have ours sent, even though it's much more expensive and risky than working with a local birthmother through our agency. After a flurry of guarded excitement (is that even possible?) we ended up waiting a couple of weeks to hear that she chose a local couple.
I tried my best to be realistic, but I couldn't stop myself from thinking about this baby girl due in July. It seemed so perfect. I saw signs all around me that this might be a reality. But it was not meant to be.
I cling to the passage in Jeremiah 29:11 because I do believe the Lord has a plan for our lives. Most days my head has to convince my heart that this is true, but I do believe it. It was providential that I came across the article I posted the other day called "Learning to Pray through Infertility." It was one of the best articles I've ever read and reminded me that I am not alone. The Lord is walking us with through our struggles and it is often in our darkest times that He is nearest to us.
I am so sorry for all you are going through.
ReplyDeleteThe pain in your post is one that I remember. For some reason (maybe because I still have a baby, or maybe because I have no time with 2 children under 2 and working 50 hours a week), but I am not in a place of "wanting" right now. I am content with our family. I hope this contentment lasts. I some times get scared that I will return to the feelings that you describe in this post.
I pray that God will grant you another blessing in your family. I pray that He will give you peace and joy while you wait on Him!
I'm so sorry that the FL situation didn't work out. :( I'm feeling many of the same things you are right now...it seems like at every party or play date I go to, there is an announcement or lots of pregnant bellies or newborns. It's tough. Our home study renewal is coming up...more money to give, more doctor appts. to go too...ugh. I wish it was easier, but at the same time I'm reminded to cling to my little boy and enjoy these precious moments. I just wish the waiting was easier! xo.
ReplyDeleteI don't understand it either... ;(
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so sorry :( So many prayers - for peace, for good news and for consolation from the Sweet Spirit.
ReplyDeleteJust what I needed to read at this moment. I share so many of your same feelings. I was blessed with a miracle pregnancy and my baby is turning two next months. Since her birth, I have had two miscarriages. My daughter brings me so much joy and in her presence I forget about my heartache, but in my quiet moments alone, there still lingers an emptiness and longing that I'm not sure will ever go away until she has a sibling.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I'm always praying for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm just starting to feel the tiniest bit of wanting, can't even call it yearning yet. Isaac is 13 months, and I am happy where we are right now, but am so missing the tiny baby he was! Maybe it's just 'cause I'm finally getting sleep, lol. We aren't planning on starting the adoption process again until 2014 probably, though, so unless we miraculously get pregnant, it'll be a long wait for us to even think about #2 :(.
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't have much longer to wait - I can't wait to see Tommy an older brother!
xoxo - love you G.
ReplyDeleteYour journey is powerful, as was the article you posted. God is DEF at work. I'm amazed by your ability to trust Him. Love to your beautiful family!
I wish I could understand why I as well.
ReplyDeleteContinued prayers for you!
I know what your saying about sometimes forgetting...it's also this way with my stretchmarks, too. I once had killer abs and sometimes I think I still do. But, NO, I have a stretched out admonen that has the worst, worst stretch marks criss crossing all over it...it's a cliche but our scars make us who we are.
ReplyDeleteI would have shuddered in shame long ago from these stretch marks, now I think of them as a badge of honor. Sorta like IF.
IF has left me wounded but in a way that has made me a better Mom and person.
I'm sorry G. I wish there was an answer. I'm praying for you...
ReplyDeleteI'm praying for you that baby #2 is a short wait for you. So innocent ... The prayers that children pray for a brother or sister ... Having Tommy ask God might speed things up. :-). God listens. I'm praying for you too.
ReplyDeleteI say that, as at a family get together a few weeks ago, a little girl come up to me and wanted to see my baby. She said she is praying for a baby brother or sister. My heart melted. I'd imagine God's would too. :-)