Friday, June 8, 2012

Quick Takes

1. The weather here has been absolutely delicious! Cool mornings and evenings with warm sunny days and no humidity! Tommy and I have been enjoying as much time outside as possible. I don't think it will last much longer, so we are trying to savor it. We've been taking a big old blanket out on the lawn and just laying on it or having a snack. I can't remember the last time I layed down in the grass and looked up at the clouds rolling by. I highly recommend it!

2. It feels so good to be into a regular and normal routine. Tommy and I have been going to the gym in the morning (he finally likes going to the kids play area!) and he's home for a nice long nap. We spend the rest of the day running errands or going on adventures at the park. I love summer!

3. I'm so excited about our new music class. A friend recommended it and Tommy absolutely loved the first one we attended. I know all kids (generally) love music, but he really seems to enjoy it. He loves to clap, sing, dance and play any kind of instrument. It's also fun to see him interact with other kids now that he is getting older.

4. I'm also really looking forward to our swim class next month. I signed up for Aqua Tots and I'm curious what it will be like. He loves the water and really enjoys "swimming" in a big pool with us holding him. I'm not sure if he will aquire any swim skills or if it will just be splashing around for fun.

5. Sitting around and waiting for the phone to ring is the absolute worst. We heard about another adoption possibility this week, but it's really a long shot. We sent our profile but I don't even know if it's being viewed. This waiting-to-adopt is not for the faint of heart. I'm so tempted to look for signs and to hope this could be it, but I just can't let myself go there. Because my heart is so guarded, I find it hard to even pray about these situations. I find it too painful to invest emotionally, if that makes any sense.

6. Another part of adoption that I really dislike is the feeling of competition. We know a lot of other people waiting to adopt in addition to those on our agencies waiting list (50-60 families.) I've seen a lot of requests on blogs and Facebook lately. Plus I know that when our social worker sends us information about a possible adoption, she is also sending it to all the other waiting families. This road is difficult enough to walk, without feeling like I have to push other people out of the way. (Does that even make sense??) 
**I realize this is ridiculous, but I am feeling so vulnerable that it brings out the worst in me when it starts to feel like we will never be matched.  :(

7. I will end with saying how grateful I am for my dear sweet husband. It was his birthday on Monday and he prefers to keep things low key - so we had a nice little celebration at home. On his birthday Tommy and I visited him at work during the afternoon when his co-workers celebrated with cupcakes and ice cream. It was a busy week for him because he had a big event at work on Wednesday which Tommy and I also attended. I'm so proud of this work he does (developing affordable housing.) He is blessed to have work that he enjoys and at the same time provide for our family. Thank you Lord for my dear husband!

Oh, and here is Tommy's 2-year picture. :)

11 comments:

  1. I can't believe how big he's getting! Alana's about to hit 2 too and it's shocking how fast it's going! I am praying y'all get good news soon, waiting is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, his eyes are just gorgeous! Prayers for patience as you wait for your next baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. T is so adorable! I can't wait to see him kissing and holding a new baby brother or sister! Prayers that it happens soon.

    And P.S. I deeply apologize if I offended you at all with my blog request for people to share our adoption picture. I'm feeling pretty desperate these days (zero movement on our agency's website) and wondering if I should be doing more beyond just prayer. The wait is so hard! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace in My Heart - Your post didn't offend me at all! You are so wise to do your own advocating/networking - all the adoption research lately says this is what we should all be doing. I'm so sorry if my post was offensive... I honestly typed it so quickly (as T was waking up from his nap) so I should prob ably re-read it to make sure it says what I feel.

    We are both in the painful and difficult situation of waiting with no control. The only two opportunities we've heard about have been references outside our agency as that's what is stressing me out - that it's going to be really difficult to actually be matched, but that we are going to have to compete with so many other people to even get our profile viewed. Does that make sense?

    Your post was just one of many requests I've seen lately and it reminded me just how many people out there waiting to be matched. My head knows that the Lord has a plan for our lives, but my heart is so fragile that it brings out the worst in me - such as feeling the sense of competition, even though that sounds so ridiculous!

    I hope this makes sense. Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were talking to our social worker this week (at our last post-placement) about adoption #2. Not that we are starting again anytime soon (lack of funds and no space in our house at the moment are big reasons!). But she did say that there were less than 20 families waiting for African American or biracial children at AA (are you using the same agency as before?), and the wait for a Caucasian child was close to 5 years!!!! We were shocked. I just assumed more people would be open to any race in this area, but that's not the case.
    Anyway, all that to say, I really hope you don't have to wait much longer. Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about your long wait. Both of our children are African American/Caucasian. I am not sure if you are open to all races, but the wait for AA babies or those with some AA racial heritage, is much less for a lot of agencies. In fact, when I called around to a lot of national placement agencies, their fees and wait were much smaller for AA babies.
    It is a personal choice, so I don't want to tell you that this is God's plan for your family. Our children are supposed to be in our family and God worked out the details...they just happened to come close together because of our openness to all races.
    Ok, so now I am rambling. I don't want to make it sound like if you open up to more races, you will for SURE get a faster placement. Only God knows when your next baby will come home.
    It is so hard to wait on Him!
    I will pray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's getting so big!!!!

    Praying for y'all and your next adoption!! You are stronger than you think mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the wait is so hard! By any chance are you monitoring adoption message boards? Honestly I don't know where to even find them, but that is how Rhiannon found out about Clara's situation for us. Just a thought. I'm guessing they might be more of the crisis type situations and ones where agencies have a hard time placing the children for whatever reason. But I think Clara's pretty perfect so it can work out ;)

    I'm always praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that our newest niece from Korea is home safe and sound, you and GIHM are my primary "adoption prayer targets". My heart aches when I think of what you are going through...and yes, the thought has occurred to me more than once that it's got to be difficult "fishing in the same pond" with so many other wonderful couples, especially those you know and love so much. Your feelings are completely normal, reasonable and understandable. I pray your collective waits are not much longer. Know that I'm praying. (My kids even are praying for you and GIMH by first names.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that handsome little boy. ..... :-). Such a cutie!!
    I know what you mean about the adoption waiting and competition. I wish it weren't that way.
    Hang in there!!! God has that perfect baby for you ... who could be conceived or about to be born. I know it doesn't make it easier to wait, but I just pray you're getting closer to the end of waiting! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You completely make sense, and your vulnerability and frustration are completely normal. We continue to pray for you everyday and think about you all the time! We love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete