Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Home

There's no place like home...  home sweet home...  it's true!  We are home and so glad to be settling into our new life as a family of four. 

Now that we are home I feel the pressure to get a lot of things done.  And yet I don't know where the time (or the day!) goes.  In a way, the hospital stay was a blessing because we had some quality time with both Tommy and Molly - although we were rarely all together.  We only had to focus on each other and not work or anything else. 

In some ways we are in survival mode right now.  Molly doesn't have her own room yet, which is fine, but her stuff is all over the house.  Eek!  My parents will be here on Sunday, so I'm mostly trying to prepare for their arrival.  (Did I mention that this trip was planned long before we learned about Molly?  So crazy!  Especially since the same thing happened when Tommy was born.)

Anyways, I'm trying to get the guest bedroom ready for them and right now Molly's things are everywhere.  All of a sudden I feel like every room of our house is full of so much stuff!  I'm sure she will sleep in the bassinet in our room for a least a couple of months, but we are trying to figure out how to make our third bedroom work.  Right now it serves as part office, part storage and part guestroom. We will focus on this after my parents leave.

My hubby is at work this week so I've had my first experience of being alone with two kids.  For the most part it's been fine and Tommy has been a trooper.  Sometimes he tells me to put the baby down when I'm feeding her a bottle - "bye bye baby."  But I'm hoping that he will continue to adjust. 

Our dear friend who watches Tommy a few hours a week while I teach has been a huge help.  She and her daughter were the ones who joined us in Indiana for a few days and Tommy drove back in their car.  She came over in the afternoon yesterday and today to take him on an outing.  I'm SO grateful for her help!  She is so generous with her time, talent and treasure.  Before we left for Indiana she got Molly a ton of girl clothes and she filled our freezer with dream dinners.  So amazing!

Molly had her first Pediatrician appointment this morning and I'm so happy that she is doing well and weighs 7 lbs 4 oz.  The main issue I'm having with her these days is that she does not burp!  It's the strangest thing!  It causes a few problems because not only does it make her gassy, but she generally doesn't finish her bottle.  And then she's hungry again in 1-2 hours, instead of 3-4 hours.  Any suggestions on how to get her to burp?

I have more pics to post, but I'm out of time. I will leave you with one from my latest amateur photo session with Molly.

15 comments:

  1. Welcome home!!! Love love love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious!! Glad you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome to have help like that! And I LOVE the new picture! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about sitting her up in your lap and having her bent over one of your arms while you pat her on the back with your other arm?

    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I was just a tad closer so I could help you out with the whirlwind of preparations that adoption brings! R's room is actually not even fully organized yet so don't worry too much, haha.... So glad you are home! Molly is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how some kids are stubborn burpers. Have you tried sitting her on your lap, supporting her lower jaw with your thumb and index/middle fingers and patting her back? Some babies need a more forceful back pat too. I've found it can help to change positions too, sometimes that's all that stubborn gas bubble needs. Beautiful pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to lay Nathanael across my lap and gently bounce my legs up and down while patting his back. If I just put him over my shoulder, I had to "hit" him pretty hard to get a burp. I felt like I was harming him, but it worked and he still loves when I pat him like that at 2 1/2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! Welcome home!!! The first 5 months or so with Sarah was a complete blur and we managed on pure survival mode. Don't underestimate the time you all need to adjust to having a new member of the family. Thank goodness you have such amazing help! Enjoy this time! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY for being HOME!!! Molly is super, super cute in her picture!
    I bet its hard to get everything done with 2 kiddos. Take it slow and do just a little each day. I LOVE your friend helping with Tommy! She is a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Enjoy being home! Will take some time to settle in, but when it happens it will feel like she's always been in your life (and so have all of her things in your house!).

    Burping positions for a "tough burper"
    Over the shoulder - as in, like a fireman rescuing someone. The point is pressure in the belly. So have her head almost upside down
    Sitting on your lap with her back to you, your palm in her belly and fingers supporting her head
    Swinging, belly down and side to side with her face in your palm
    Boob in the belly with forceful, pushing, infrequent pats.
    Sideways over your legs, face down with you patting her back

    Your friend sounds amazing. Keep her! Hope to see you all over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the record, it's completely ridiculous that you adopted your baby from my hometown, we currently live about an hour apart, and we've never met. Just sayin... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home! Love the pics :). Let me know when you're ready for visitors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What Linda said but maybe burp after each ounce and see if you can get one:) I LOVE the naked pic!

    ReplyDelete