Today we had our first post-placement visit from the social worker. It feels good to be taking steps towards finalization. I spoke with our attorney in Indiana this week and right now we are waiting to see if the birthfather responds to some paperwork. We should know the answer next week and based on that information our attorney feels confident that we can move forward towards finalization! I couldn't believe it when he said that and I have been praying so hard that things go in our favor.
It's crazy to me how different the adoption laws are from state to state. Maryland requires three post-placement visits and you cannot finalize sooner than 6 months after placement. Indiana requires only two post-placement visits and there is no time restraint. Unfortunately another difference is that you cannot finalize in Indiana with an expired homestudy and ours expires next month. In Maryland it only matters that the homestudy is updated at the time of placement, not finalization.
So this means we now have to update our homestudy according to the Maryland laws - which require more paperwork than Indiana. And it's because of Indiana's laws that we have to do it in the first place! Does that make sense? In the scheme of things it's not a big deal - but it means more money and more work over here getting paperwork together. I'm so over this part of adoption.
It was surreal to introduce Molly to our social worker. She visited us three times for the first homestudy, then three times for Tommy's post-placement visits, then three times for the second homestudy and now she will visit us again three more times. Again, it's all worth it. But really, how much more do we have to talk about with her??
Today Molly also had her one-month check-up with the pediatrician. She is doing really well and I couldn't believe that she had gained two pounds in two weeks! She now weighs 9 pounds 2 ounces. We continue to adjust to our new routines and last night she slept a really long stretch for the first time. Fingers crossed it happens again tonight!
Speaking of which, it's really late and I need to get to bed. These bright eyes will be waiting for me sometime soon to eat...
Molly looks concerned that her big brother is holding her.
Hooray for getting down towards the end and finalization!!! I hate that you have to spend more money to update a home study when it really won't make a difference. Stupid laws.
ReplyDeleteMolly is such a cutie! Love her pic with Tommy holding her!!!
Haha! I love the look on her face in that last picture! :) I'm glad to hear that things are moving well toward finalization, but sorry about all the crazy paperwork and hoops to jump through. Totally worth it, of course, but still a pain in the butt!
ReplyDeleteYeah, we got annoyed with Maryland requirements too, because La only required two post-placement visits, yet MD made us do three. Love that added expense, and of course our visits were spread over a year instead of 6 months, so it was kinda annoying to have to answer all the questions from the social worker about sleep, diet, etc at one year old. He's ours already, leave us alone! Lol.
ReplyDeleteLove that last pic :).
Adorable! And Indiana is the best state ;)
ReplyDeletelove!
ReplyDeleteI really love Indiana adoption laws! Isaiah's was WAY faster than Isabella's (from NY).
ReplyDeleteSorry about all the extra paperwork you have to get done!! I hate that part too!!!
Molly is getting so big!! What a doll!
They are so sweet!!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you. So very very happy :) And I totally get the difficulties in trying to juggle two kids and a part-time job outside the home. Still working on that! God is good and I love seeing the joy in your faces in these pics.
ReplyDelete