Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Settling In

Wow, where has the time gone? The last week or so has been a blur. I honestly have lost track of all the days, nights and in between.

We are doing our best to settle into this new life as a family of four and establish new routines. But life with a newborn is anything but routine.

Overall we are getting by ok, but I forgot about the learning curve involved with a new baby. I don't enjoy all the trial and error that is involved! We are trying to figure out Miss Molly and all her likes/dislikes. :)

She has moments where she is happy and calm, and other moments where she is fussy and irritable. She has been very gassy and was spitting up a bit, so we switched formula and she seems to be doing better. But there are still moments when I can tell she is wanting to sleep and has trouble getting there. I hope we can quickly learn all the tricks to keep her happy.

Tommy is doing ok adjusting, but his world has definitely been rocked. He's usually not too happy when he sees me holding or feeding the baby. I'm doing my best to have quality time with him each day, but that doesn't seem to help a ton. My parents are here which has been a big help. But I think that is also throwing Tommy a bit. Between all that time in Indiana and now having a new baby, he's going through a lot of change. Unfortunately his sleep has been disrupted and he has had trouble falling asleep for naps and bedtime. I'm hoping this changes soon!

I'm trying to figure out my new normal as well. How will I get things done now? It's been stressful so far, but I know that this all takes time, and I'm hoping we get through this settling in phase quickly.

I haven't taken any pictures in days so I finally snapped a few today with my phone. It will be a good day tomorrow if I can manage a shower and also take a few pictures before Molly isn't a newborn anymore!

9 comments:

  1. She is a DOLL!!!! SO ADORABLE!!!
    It took me forever to learn what Luke liked and how he worked. You'll get there. I know you're giving your all to your precious babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have two children with big, beautiful eyes! Life with two will settle down before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 2 is always harder...in my opinion! So much more to juggle!

    Molly is super cute! I pray that your whole family smoothes into the adjustment soon!
    Newborns are so tricky to figure out! Praying it gets easier for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, she is so sweet! I'm sure you'll get into the swing of things eventually. It's gotta be pretty tricky with two - I have some hard days with just the one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh is she a beauty! Kind of makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?! Be gentle on yourself and give yourself and everyone in the family plenty of time to adjust. Keep expectations low. What you were once able to easily do with one child is suddenly impossible with two. Hang in there! Reminds me...I need to email you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh G, I remember those crazy days! Will be praying for you. It is hard to remember how much energy and sacrifice goes into sustaining a little human person...and it is amplified when there is another little one, too little to understand, is a major part of the picture. (I remember one time, after posting a plea for help on fb a couple weeks into Jules' life, someone telling me that she used to lock herself in a bedroom to nurse her newborn and allow her 2.5 year old to roam the childproofed house for awhile, praying she didn't do anything irreparable! I think the toddler took out a dozen eggs and dropped them all over the kitchen floor or something...that put it in perspective!! lol.) I was surprised how much Juliana's homecoming affected Nathanael, but now they are so so sweet and he is the best big brother. Tommy is even younger, so the understanding part is even harder. He is learning a lot about stretching and sacrificing and making room for an "other" even if he doesn't know it! And he DOES know he's loved - so it will all come together for him. And you! in time. (Before you know it you'll be a pro at moving through the world with 2, I'm sure of it!) She is SOOO gorgeous! Love seeing her pics tonight. Hang in there! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The learning curve is always so hard. I just had my fifth baby and we had an incredibly hard learning curve. The NICU stay just makes it even more tough. Be very, very gentle with yourself. It took me four months to figure out that my baby had infant reflux severe enough to need stronger meds, but not severe enough to fall off the magic 15% drop in weight gain. Once we ironed out her meds she's now sleeping better and gaining a ton of weight. My sympathy and prayers during this hard discernment period. Good times are around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a former NICU Mom, I feel like both baby and parents need one month home to recover for every week spent in the NICU.

    It takes a long time to fully recover from that stress--but it is extra glorious when things finally recover.

    ReplyDelete