Saturday, December 29, 2012

Our Christmas

Home sweet home.  After a wonderful Christmas in Nebraska, we are now home sweet home.
 
Thursday was a rough travel day.  Tommy has been sick (ugh, I don't know how to avoid it this time of year!) and so he was not his usual self while we were traveling.  Without going through all the details, it was a long and exhausting day.  Especially since I didn't get much sleep the night before.  We took two flights and for some reason everything was difficult - small planes, bumpy landings, unhappy kids, etc.  I'm just thankful that we made it home safe and sound and we all crashed as soon as we got home. 

This is the second year in a row that Tommy was sick on Christmas Day. :( We didn't take the kids to Mass - because of Tommy being sick and it was just too cold (temps were around 10-15 degrees the entire week.) He had fun opening his gifts, but he just wasn't himself for about 4 days which was sad. 

I ended up taking him to urgent care the day after Christmas and the doctor suspected a sinus infection. I was a little weary to put him on anti-biotics (he's never had them before) but it definitely seemed to work right away. His fever never came back and his miserable congestion/chest cough has been going away. I was up most of the night with him on Wednesday and I slept in a big bed with him to help him breath a little better.

I honestly can't believe that Christmas has come and gone so quickly.  (I realize that we are still in the Christmas season - I know we are still celebrating the birth of our Savior!)  But in terms of our travel plans, seeing family, gift exchanges, etc.  It's so exhausting.  I would love to find ways to make this time of year less stressful and more simple.  There are plenty of ideas out there, we just have to decide what works best for our family. 

We were able to relax once we left town, but the weeks leading up to that were crazy. We had a lovely week with my husband's family.  It was great to rest and relax at their house and spend time with our nieces. 

I'm always excited for the new New Year - having a fresh start, setting new goals, and the hope of what a New Year will bring. I have a few personal goals, plus my hubby and I set some family goals together.  Here's hoping for a great year for everyone!

Here are a few pictures from our Christmas. 

 
 


 



 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. so sad about Tommy being sick. we had sick kids for the week before and during Christmas. it is hard. but we didn't go anywhere so that was easier.

    cute pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Pajamas are adorable on your kiddos!!

    I am sorry Tommy was sick again over Christmas! My kids always seem to pick something up from airports. i think those planes are covered in germs!! And kids put their hands in their mouth constantly! It seems unavoidable.

    I could write a very long blog post on trying to simplify Christmas. That was the take home point for us this year as well. It all just became ... well ... too much. It was overwhelming for me and the girls and sadly it just got in the way of celebrating the true meaning of the season. Rushing to mass, rushing home for presents, the sheer number of gifts alone was too much for the girls to process at this age in their lives. Ah!!! And since we were hosting my family, I was rushing around for days before their arrival. And once they arrived, I was always in the kitchen. P and I talked about a plan for the years going forward ... to do a celebration with our familly before Christmas, but on the actual Christmas eve and day, keep it to our family only and do mass and Christ centered reflections at home, with only a few gifts. I know that sounds "not very fun" but I want nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also went to NE for Christmas. SNOW and COLD!!! Brrr!!!
    I wish Tommy wasn't sick. You took some great photos of all the kids!
    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your little guy was sick :(. Isaac just had some sniffles and a cough, but after everyone left and the festivities were over, it got a lot worse for a couple days. I didn't give him quite the attention I normally do when I see him getting sick, because we were so busy (I usually give him lots of vit C, herbal teas, elderberry syrup, extra vit D). Poor kid. At least he had new toys to help take his mind of being sick :).

    Love all the pictures! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete