A few months ago at her two month visit, the pediatrician noticed that Molly preferred turning her neck/head to the right side (Torticollis) and as a result the back of her head was getting flat on the right side (Positional Plagiocephaly.) She said that it was mild and she gave us a few positioning tips to help stretch her neck and round out her head.
I couldn't believe that I hadn't noticed it until then, but she was right. Apparently it's pretty common, even though I had never heard those terms before. I have tried to implement her tips as much as possible, in addition to lots of tummy time, and it seems that Molly is making progress. But we decided it would be a good idea to meet with a physical therapist.
Our county has a great program for early intervention with infants and toddlers. It's through the county school system and it's completely free! We have used their services to get Tommy some help with speech and I was glad to meet with their physical therapist last week.
The PT gave Molly a very thorough examination and scored her overall development based on a clinical test. (I forget the name.) She said that both Molly's Torticollis and Plagiocephaly are mild, but that she would benefit from some therapy. Even though her head will keep growing and changing for a long time, it seems that the window of time to help her head shape is pretty short.
She is hopeful that we will see good results with proper positioning. Since Molly's situation is mild the PT does not think we should consider getting a helmet. And the good news is that none of this affects Molly's development, it's purely cosmetic.
Does anyone have experience with this? I'd love any advice or tips you have.
I'm a lurker who is, I guess, choosing to come out of hinding. :)
ReplyDeleteOur youngest had it. We found the most benefit by regular visits to a craniosacral therapist who works with kids. Sadly, it wasn't covered by insurance, but we found it worth every penny.
Good luck!
PS. Your family is beautiful!
C just got a DocBand - his is both plagiocephaly and asymmetry related - more the asymmetry. I've been meaning to post about this and just haven't since he got it right before Christmas and all our travels. I just took him last week to an early intervention specialist - and he has another appointment next week to see if he will qualify for that treatment. He's seen a PT but it was only occasionally (monthly) and his torticollis hasn't improved as much as it should - hence looking at the early intervention program where a PT would come to our home weekly. My sis is a PT and works in this kind of program and recommended it. Message me on FB if you want to chat about it!
ReplyDeleteKatie is dealing with torticollis as well. So far her providers haven't been concerned but I'm about to light a fire under them.
ReplyDeleteYep, little CC had them both!
ReplyDeleteFeel free to call me or email me anytime ... she was in a helmet for almost a year. I only wish I had gotten ahead of it like you are doing now! (hers was severe).
CC was super cute in her lil pink helmet ;)
ReplyDeleteBoth M and L had mild torticollis. We just had to do some stretching exercises. I'm taking S to the chiropractor and we are gonna head off any issues before they start!