Sunday, July 7, 2013

Potty Training and Crawling

It's been a big weekend in our family for milestones.  We've spent the last three days potty-training with Tommy.  And yesterday, Molly crawled for the first time!  She was probably bored from not being able to leave the house.  :)

I honestly think Tommy was ready to ditch the diapers for awhile, but I was not ready for it!  And even though we've had a good three days, I'm scared to leave the house.  I find it hard to believe we will actually be able to run errands without having accidents.  Oh well, we have to brave it sometime.

When Tommy woke up on Friday morning we told him that he was all done with diapers.  (We had been talking to him about potty training for a while, but made a big deal when he woke up.)  The first thing we did was pack up all the diapers in his room and put them in Molly's room.  It was so cute, he had fun stuffing them all into her diaper stacker.

Then we hung up this sticker chart.
During breakfast we colored with an Elmo Uses the Potty coloring book.  And told him that every time he used the potty he got one M&M.

I can't believe how one M&M motivates him so much!  And it's not like we never give him sugar or treats around here.  For three days now he continues to be SO excited to pick out one M&M.

Later in the day he got out his tools and helped Daddy take apart his changing table.  Similar to when we converted his crib to a toddler bed, I thought this might help.  He loved it and helped me put up the books instead.  We also hung up two frames that had been waiting to be put up.  

He has done very well, with a couple of accidents here and there.  But as I said, now I'm afraid to leave the house this week!  We took one quick outing this afternoon to get a celebratory ice cream cone.  I think he's feeling very proud of himself, although he's making a goofy face here.  

In addition to all of this, Molly started crawling yesterday!  It was so great.  She has been delayed with her milestones but lately has made a ton of progress.  In May we decided to step up her physical therapy to two times a week and I think it helped.

We started PT because of her Torticollis/Plageocephaly - both of which were mild.  She made great progress with both of those, but she seemed out of kink as a result.  Parts of her body were tight and she couldn't stand being on her tummy.  It was stressful for a few months when she didn't seem to be making much progess - especially since this was during a very busy time around here.

Thankfully, she is doing well.  I know that she will get there on her own timetable.  Hard to believe our sweet girl will be one year old in just over a month.  Ahh!


4 comments:

  1. Way to go Tommy and Molly! And I love how the changing tables changes into a shelf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe Molly will be a year old that soon! I can think of a few things I need motivation on... But I think it will take peanut butter M&M's before I'll get to the proper level of excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your post title meant potty training and crawling for the same kid "Molly" and was like "no way"!!
    Congrats to Tommy and Molly for their milestones! Isaiah has always been super far behind and in therapy for a long time! Don't stress about it is my advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take the potty in the car! And yay Molly!!!

    ReplyDelete