I've been thinking about starting an Infertility Support Group in DC for awhile now. I know that many of you ladies attend or started groups in your area. Our online community has been such a huge source of encouragement and resources for me, I would love to give that to other women who are silently suffering around here. Although I have to admit, deep down I was hoping to "leave" this club and therefore not be able to start the group. Obviously that is not the case.
Yesterday I met with the Director of Family Life for the Archdiocese. I figured that if I was going to start this thing, it would be great to have his help and to advertise with all the parishes around. He was totally on board and had some great ideas about getting started.
I made a few phone calls and sent a few emails yesterday to get the ball rolling. Hopefully soon I will confirm a date and location for our first meeting.
If you're in the DC Metro area and you'd be interested in coming, please let me know! You can comment on this post or send me an email at: jeremiahtwentynineleven@gmail.com.
You know I'm coming. Can I put in a plug for meetings being on weekday evenings?
ReplyDeleteAre non-practicing Catholics allowed :)?
ReplyDeleteI admire your strength and courage. Obviously this is not easy to do ... but I have no doubt that it might make this cross just a tad lighter:)
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing, good for you!! I had the same feelings as you (I even voiced them to the Director of Family Life when I was organizing our Diocesan group back in Oct '08... almost a year later, here I still am... ha!), but I think just getting the group underway is a calling from God. Anyone else can always take over the "facilitation" part, kwim? But it takes a lot to be that FIRST person to come out of the woodwork and welcome other women and couples to share their stories and trials.
ReplyDeleteYou won't regret this :) I'm so proud of you!!
I'm glad your meeting went well! I think it is awesome that you are feeling the call to start this group. There are no doubt tons of women in this area who are dealing with IF and many who are feeling very alone. I look forward to finding out when the first meeting is scheduled and hopefully I can come. I'll pass it on to a few others I know.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you've gotten a green light from the diocese to start this. Let me know when and where and how I might be able to help.
ReplyDeleteyea! I want to join! I hope we *all* get pregnant and can morph into a breastfeeding support group. ha! But for now, I'd love to be in this group with you.
ReplyDelete