Monday, July 6, 2009

Back

We are back from vacation... back to life... and back to the world of dealing with IF. Unfortunately cycle day 1 showed up yesterday, the day we flew home. Thankfully it could have been worse, because cycle day 2 is generally my heaviest day. Although it wasn't very pleasant having to deal with AF today at summer camp! The only thing worse than dealing with your period while flying is dealing with your period when you can't get to a bathroom. There are times during the day at camp when I'm "stuck" with the kids doing our activity - either indoors or outdoors. My schedule is pretty rigid while I'm teaching, but it actually seems more difficult with camp for some reason. We don't even get a lunch break because we eat with the kids!

Anyways, that being said, I was able to leave an hour early to make my appointment with Dr. L this afternoon. She wanted to see me during cycle days 1-3 this month. There isn't too much to report. We reviewed my bloodwork from 2 cycles ago (since I didn't get any drawn this cycle because we were on vacation) and she is pleased with the levels. She is convinced that the Tamoxifen is "working" and that it is helping my hormones to improve. Although for me there is only one indication of things "working" and clearly I am not pregnant.

We scheduled a sonogram series for this cycle. She is going to do the first one on day 10, one around ovulation and one after ovulation. Hopefully this will give a clearer picture of what's going on. Although she said that even if we learn that my follicles are not rupturing, she doesn't know of any treatment to fix that problem. Great. Let's just hope that's not happening. I'm not exactly sure what we're looking for with this sonogram series, but it makes me feel good to be doing something and perhaps it might reveal some information.

We also discussed using injections. I know that many IF bloggers are using injections and I feel like it's something I should explore. Although I'm not exactly sure what it would be treating. Dr. L seemed to think that I didn't need to pursue this quite yet, but when it was time she would recommend FSH injections during cycle days 3-7 or something like that. Does anyone know much about this? She seemed to think it was a protocol used by IVF docs to help stimulate ovualation.

Oh, she also said that I don't need to worry about getting bloodwork done anymore. (At least for now.) She's convinced that my hormone levels are looking good.

I don't really have many feelings about this appointment one way or another. To be honest it just feels like more of the same. We still don't really understand what my problem is, much less how to solve it. I'm tired of the mystery and confusion. I'm tired of feeling clueless about what is going on in my body. I'm just plain tired of waiting.

13 comments:

  1. I hope the sonograms show something...like all of us..we just want some answers. Right? I do the injections and yes..my dr does IV.F, etc and I'm doing the same meds as "those people" except my husband and I are keeping our union sacred and with God. My dr is having me take this stuff to give us the best chance of conceiving...I'll have to go with that. I think one of the hardest things is doing the injections themselves and waiting. I've started calling the meds...meds of hope. THat's about all they do for me. Oh...they are expensive too. The only way I'll praise this stuff is if I get a BFP!

    I know what you mean about teaching and not having access to a bathroom. I've had it happen and once lunch time comes or it's the end of the day...I'm rushing to the bathroom. It's not like a teacher can leave a classroom of children alone for even a second. I really get nervous when my stomach is upset. Thank God that hasn't happened too often.

    Glad your back and back to life. Isn't it nice to take a break and forget about what is going on at home? God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. having AF while working with kids SUCKS!!! when i taught the older kids (and was closer to the bathroom) i could run out quickly while my neighbour watched my class. it was pretty difficult this past school year 'cos my teaching partner (and next door neighbour) was pretty unco-operative. thank god for our school librarian! she saved me more than once!

    i hear you about waiting. i feel like my whole life right now is all about waiting and i hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited about your ultrasound series. Please try to post (or call me) after each appt!!!

    If your follicle doesn't rupture, you can take an HCG injection when it is the right size to make it rupture. Although I am sure Dr. L knows all about this! I think the studies have shown it works about 90% of the time to induce ovulation.

    Also, I am 100% pro-injectables. (FSH). We tried it, as you know, but it didn't work, probably because all my organs were stuck together at the same time. They (injections) are probably in our future again.

    Its time to take the bull by the horns. Our Catholic blogroll needs some BFPs!!!!!!!!

    I know you are frustrated. But I still believe your day is coming. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! I'm intrigued! I've never had a post-ovulation sonogram. Do tell what it shows!

    I get the day 3 & day 10 every cycle and it does help. Most times it (day 10) shows my follicle isn't mature enough (not the 1.8 cm they like) and I have to take another day of injections before HCG shot. I have nothing to show for it yet, but I feel some level of control knowing what's going on inside.

    Good luck and keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be praying that sonogram points you in a specific direction. It just stinks to have no idea what is wrong- that is why I was pretty excited to find I had low progesterone prior to clomid! I hope that God heals your body soon of whatever is standing in the way of you and your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Injections do sound like the "next step" in drug therapy, but I have no clue what all these gals are shooting up or why. The tamoxifen seems plenty strong to me! And, for me, surgery is next. (Maybe an ultrasound series...? I should ask. My charts show I'm ovulating, but that may not be the whole story. Do your temperatures and cm indicate ovulation?) Best of luck for some results this time.

    And, now that you're back, we need to do lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so know the feeling its very frustrating for sure. Hope you find some answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fsh injections like gonal F etc just need to be monitored. Those type of meds are the ones that can produce multiples....so just be sure you have u/s before bding.....so you know what you are looking at with the amounts of eggs per cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that you get answers from your u/s series. From what I understand about injectables, they are a more controlled way of helping your follicular development than Clomid or Tamoxifen but it does require more monitoring. I haven't done injectables since I wouldn't want to do any medicated cycles until after my lap/SHSG/etc. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was confused, like LH, about your Dr saying she didn't know a treatment for non-rupturing follicles... because a trigger shot is pretty common!

    I'm excited about your u/s series, and injectables (if you do them). I really want to try them, too, but won't be able to while on Hydrocort, I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know...but I had an unruptured follicle (documented by sono) while I was in Omaha last year. I asked Dr. H about a trigger shot of hCG and he poo-poo'ed the idea. Why, I don't know but it leaves me frustrated. Maybe one day I'll see about going to Dr. L or Dr. B (or maybe north to Dr. S) and ask them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi G-
    So I'm coming to DC next weekend. The problem is I'm coming in on Fri and leaving the Sunday. It's going to be super quick.
    BUT, I will be in Rockville, so isn't that a tease?! Maybe closer to I can let you know where I'm at. I'd of course like nothing more than to meet you and also AYWH and the other Richmond ladies, but I just wouldn't want them to have to drive in when I'd probably only be able to meet up for a very quick hello. I'm not sure! I may be coming to visit at the end of the summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was drawn to your blog by the name Jeremiah 29:11 which has very special meaning for me. I too suffered from infertility for 8 years after my marriage [due to endometriosis both tubes were blocked]so I understand your pain.I finally conceived thanks to a miraculous healing while at church one day,so please don't lose hope.I will remember you in my prayers everyday because reading your posts have really touched me and I know how much suffering this causes. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete