My hubby and I are starting a novena to St. Joseph today (his feast day is in nine days.) As I've mentioned before, I have been drawn to St. Joseph more and more lately. He had such an important role as the foster father of Jesus and I feel like he is often the forgotten member of the Holy Family!
I feel a connection to him most especially because his family was a non-traditional family. He was a wise and holy man, and yet things didn't work out exactly as he had planned. I'm sure St. Joseph always imagined he would get married the "usual" way and have a family the "usual" way. Jesus was his adopted son, not biological, and look at what a blessing adoption was in his life. I am praying for St. Joseph's intercession that God will grow our family in the way that He has planned.
Here is a novena prayer if you'd like to join us:
St. Joseph, you are the chaste and loving spouse of the Virgin Mary, the foster father of Jesus, the protector and provider of the Holy Family and of all families.
We have complete confidence in your loving care for new life and in your fidelity to the family.
We commend our efforts to have a child to your prayers and protection. Intercede for us to God the Father that we might be blessed with the gift of new life.
Help us always to defend the gift of human life that it may grow to the abundance of eternal life promised and bestowed on us by Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.
I love this post and prayer at the end. I am not Catholic but by reading your posts I am learning and I'm being enlightened...thank you!
ReplyDeleteWe will be joining you.
ReplyDeleteWe'll be joining you too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this! We are joining in too!
ReplyDeleteI've already missed a couple of days (will catch up) but luckily I expected this and started eighteen days ahead :). Two messed-up novenas for two sets of intentions counts for something, right?
ReplyDeleteI like your point - if a great saint could be challenged by an unorthodox family building method, we should take heart!