Every year this seems to happen... when the King Nebuchadnezzar, Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego reading comes around it's my turn to lector! Are you familiar with this passage from Daniel? You have to say these names multiple times throughout the reading. Now the names just roll off my tongue, but at first I couldn't pronounce them to save my life. I lector at Mass on Wednesday mornings and it seems like every year I get this passage!
The story is very familiar to me: three men refuse to worship any god besides the one true God and so they are thrown into the fiery furnace. God works a miracle, spares their lives and King Nebuchadnezzar is converted because of it.
As I was proclaiming the Scripture I noticed this quote for the first time, "There is no need for us to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If our God, whom we serve, can save us from the white-hot furnace and from your hands, O king, may he save us! But even if he will not, know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the golden statue that you set up."
The faith of these men really struck me - whether or not God worked a miracle, they would still believe in him, trust in him and serve him. Their faith did not depend on a miracle or a sign. And yet they FULLY believe that one was possible. We are called to do the same. We know that anything is possible with God - we must believe that, or else we deny that God is all-powerful. And yet at the same time we must realize that God's ways are mysterious to us. We don't know why he chooses to work miracles at sometimes and not others. The one thing we do know is that it's always part of his plan and his will for our lives. For some reason.
The other part of this story that hit me for the first time is that the miracle was done not simply to save the lives of these three faithful men, but largely to instill faith in new believers, to touch the lives of others. The same applies to my life - if God chooses to work a miracle, it's not only for my benefit but for others around me who might learn and grow from my story. This includes suffering too - God can use our suffering to teach and touch others. I am always so amazed when I learn about the suffering of others and how they faithfully endured it. I am showing my students the movie about the life of Pope John Paul II and my eyes always well up with tears when I watch the suffering he endured throughout his life. He was such a holy and faithful man!
Yesterday's reflection by Giussani was about hope. He says, "Hope is an energy, the energy of vigilance, an energy that continually pierces through, continually tries to penetrate through the shadows. The energy of hope breaks, perforates the hard walls of the tomb in which distraction, intemperance, and worries enclose us. It's not the disappearance of distraction, intemperance or worries; it's that in the midst of distraction, worries and intemperance, unconquerable hope continually breaks the walls that continually form. This is the living heart, the sign of God living within the land of the dead."
Wow. I hadn't really thought about hope in that way before. To me hope has been somewhat of a passive thing. As if I just sit back and "hope" that everything will work out. Giussani is telling us that hope is not passive but very active. Our hope breaks through the walls that surround us. I feel the Lord calling me to have a much more active hope. As I posted the other day, I feel that I should also be more bold in my prayers. Even though my heart is afraid to hope too much, I realize there is sin in that. How could I not have complete hope and trust in the Lord?
Last night my hubby and I went to confession. The Blessed Sacrament was exposed and it was such a beautiful way to pray before our trip. We made our consecration this morning and it's hard to believe that our next Mass and next candle lit will be in Lourdes!! Ahh! I promise to hold you all in prayer during this time. I have no idea what is in store for us but I feel completely open to receiving God's graces during this time.
Have a very blessed Holy Week and a joyful Easter!
I read that passage in the Magnificat last night as well and it really touched me in a profound way! I was going to post about it as well...and probably still will. But I am a little preocuppied at the moment with JOY over the birth of our new Goddaughter - on the Feast of the Annunciation and everything. Oh my, what a start to the day! Safe travels and God Bless!
ReplyDeleteGreat reflection. Rock on with the lectoring of difficult names. I remember in high school, I was cantoring for our confirmation mass and had to sing "Melchizedek" in the psalm. I was so worried!
ReplyDeleteyeah those are some tough names! I was reading the Similarian (Tolkien) to my husband while we were driving and the names were crazy that like, after a few hours my mouth hurt! lol
ReplyDeleteenjoy your trip and thanks for remembering us in your prayers.
G, the Holy Spirit is working overtime in your heart girl!!!!
ReplyDeleteNow I am more psyched than ever for your trip! I have an awesome Bernadette book I can loan you if you want to read more about Lourdes after going there (maybe you have this one already)
Awesome Giussani quote. Very powerful. A lot of JPII-ers love him but I haven't had a chance to read too much of him. Makes me want to read more!
God bless you guys in your travels!
Lauren
Thank you for sharing your beautiful reflection on the readings. It reminds me about what I recently posted on the healing mass (an article that described that not everyone is actually healed...); we should always ask for healing and know that he can and trust that if he doesn't there is a good reason and if he does, it is to bring others to Him. Have an amazing trip! Cant wait to hear all about it!
ReplyDeleteGodspeed, G! I guess I wouldn't have fit in your backpack anyway. :) Thanks for the awesome reflections.
ReplyDeleteAwesome reflection, girl! Can't wait to see you when you get back!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful reflection. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful reflection! Thanks for teaching me something about hope today!
ReplyDeleteWOW, that would be a hard one to lector....I am lectoring the "narrator" this Palm Sunday, and hope I don't trip up, it is sooooooo much to read! I hope you have an awesome trip, I am SO JEALOUS!!
ReplyDeleteMy husband is a lector and he always gets the tough names, too.
ReplyDeleteI can’t wait to hear about your trip. Safe travels and I’ll be praying for you the whole time.
loved reading your reflections..
ReplyDeletei know you both will have an amazing trip - pray for us!
prayers for safe travels!
This was such an encouraging post and now I recommit myself to hope!!! Even for pregnancy!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful trip at Lourdes and thank you for remembering me also in your prayers.
Okay, so I know you don't know me, but could you please remember me in your prayers at Lourdes too?? I'm in yet another TWW and hope to test on Easter Sunday (of all days!)...and really praying for a healthy conception and pregnancy with a live baby at the end. Thanks! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a scary reflection, but inspiring, for sure! Have a wonderful time in Lourdes!
ReplyDeleteJUST DYING TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR TRIP!
ReplyDeleteJust briefly on the Daniel story...
ReplyDeleteI have a fondness for that OT passage, and I think it stems from a colorful pop-up book on the story that I had when I was small (the 3 coming out of the Fiery Furnace and all!) When I think back on it, it seems like a disturbing story for a young child but for some reason it never bothered or scared me. That's grace, I guess.