Friday, April 9, 2010

Pilgrimage: Part 3

Saturday, March 27th
Next we headed into town for the first time. We picked up a simple French lunch: some fresh local cheese, a baguette, salami, fruit and a delicious pastry.
This is the bakery where we got a pastry every day!

We found a bench near the river and enjoyed our lunch outside. It was so wonderful.
We strolled through the town and visited St. Bernadette's birthplace, family home, and the parish church where she was baptized.
St. Bernadette's family home

My hubby checking out some of her belongings. Also portraits of her parents hanging on the wall.

St Bernadette's bedroom.

A replica of the Grotto made by St. Bernadette

The parish church

Baptismal font where St. Bernadette was baptized.

Next we hiked the hill which has the Stations of the Cross. The walk was almost a mile in length and it winds upwards. The 15 large stations had larger than life bronze statues, depicting the various stages of Jesus' walk to Calvary. We brought a booklet of reflections with us, so we took our time and prayed the stations as we walked.




Afterwards we tried to visit the upper basilica again, but another Mass was going on. While we were up there we noticed a bride and groom with their guests and wedding party. It was so sweet to watch them visit the Grotto before their wedding.

Next we crossed the river (The Gave) and enjoyed the beautiful view of the Grotto and Basilica from the other side.


This shot shows you the Grotto (far bottom right) and the Basilica built above it.

Afterwards we had some dinner in town. We had wine with every dinner - both in France and Italy. I was in heaven! We ordered a 1/2 carafe at every restaurant and it always came in a lovely little pitcher.

We decided to visit the Grotto one last time before going back to the hotel. We weren't going to participate in the candlelight procession until the next night, but we ended up watching it anyways. It was so beautiful to watch all the little lights processing behind the lit-up statue of Mary.


Finally, the end of our first day in Lourdes. As we were heading to bed our hotel owner Peter informed us that night was spring forward. I'm so glad he told us! Although we were not happy to lose another hour of sleep. :)

11 comments:

  1. I am enjoying this so much!! Thank you! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very thankful that you are doing so many posts about your trip. It's really fun to see what you did, and you packed a lot into each day.

    I haven't been to Lourdes, but when I traveled to Europe I was always amazed at the churches/catherdrals/basilicas. A couple times I cried inside them. My students on the trip would ask me what was wrong, and I couldn't really explain. Later, I put it into words this way: the people that built these buildings knew that God was important. They spent liftimes building something to glorify God. Modern churches just aren't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... tasty French breakfast. I love breakfast in Europe - it's so simple and so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading every detail! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her house/room in the movie look just like the real thing! :)

    Not only are we all enjoying this, but it will be neat for you to come back to these posts and relive the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures. It looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just catching up here! Wow, I am so grateful you are sharing this!! I want to go! What a beautiful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These posts are so well written! I am living vicariously through you!!!

    Thanks also for posting all the pics, please keep them all coming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos! They totally bring me back to our trip (although you've definitely seen more of Lourdes than we did since we were there for only one day). Makes me want to pack my bags and head back to France!

    ReplyDelete