Sunday, January 18, 2009

Nice Weekend

We are having a nice loooooong weekend over here. Because of MLK, Jr Day on Monday and the Inauguration on Tuesday we have four days off. Woo-hoo! I am hoping (and trying!) to be productive and use the time wisely. We'll see how that goes. I'm also happy to just rest and relax too. That is also "productive" in a way.

The morning is by far my most productive time, so it's hard on Sundays when I sing for one or more Masses to get a lot done around the house when I come home. But that's ok. It actually helps me "keep holy the Sabbath" a little bit more. Truly it should be a day of prayer and rest. I sang for two Masses this morning, came home and had lunch, and then my hubby and I played Digital Monopoly. Has anyone played this or even seen it? It's pretty fun! Instead of using paper money you use a credit card. All the properties and their prices have been updated. My hubby got it for Christmas and we've played it twice so far. Both times he has whipped my butt. The first time I was super crabby when I lost. Thankfully today I lost "gracefully." I'm just so competetive! It's not fun to lose! But it's also not fun to play games with someone who is so crabby. So I'm trying to be better about it because I don't want my hubby to stop playing games with me. Hopefully one of these days I'll actually beat him. :)

I need to get some grading done this weekend, so I'm planning to do that after I finish blogging. I also need to work on my talk. I have been asked to give a talk on the Marriage Prep Retreat for the Archdiocese and it's next Saturday! I have done this twice before, but it has been a couple of years. I am basically giving the "sex talk." It is a pretty tall order. In one hour I'm supposed to cover all of the Churches teachings on sexual morality. I will be speaking to 40 couples. That's 80 people. Yikes! I'm getting a little nervous as I type this. Thankfully they provide the outline for me to follow. But of course I want it to be personal and I really want to reach these couples. I want them to walk away from my talk educated and inspired. Although, the one thing that I learned from the last time I gave this talk is that I can only do so much. Last time I tried to cram TOO much into one talk. The demographic of the couples makes for a tough audience - about 1/3 are living together. I can't imagine that they are too excited to hear what I have to say. It is my goal to speak the Truth, to be open and honest, to share my story, and possibly to plant some seeds. I don't want to lower my expectations... but I will be pleased if ONE couple walks away with something learned. The fact is that I won't be able to convince everyone to follow all of the Church's teachings. But I can do something. And I put it in the Lord's hands. My prayer is that He will use me to say what the couples need to hear. Hopefully I can do that. Please pray for me next Saturday! Oh, and if you have any tips or advice I'd love to hear it. I know every diocese has a wide-variety of these kinds of classes for engaged couples.

In terms of my cycle I don't have much to report. I think I'm on cycle day 15 (I'm too lazy to go upstairs and check!) You can see how I'm really on top of things. ;) I am on Tamoxifen this cycle and similar to AYWH I think my mucus has been less this cycle. I have tried to be better about my observations so that we time everything as best as possible. Also I want to be sure of my peak day since I'm getting my blood drawn on peak +7. I have been inspired by all the hope and positive thinking that has been going around. Now that my surgery is done and the endo removed, I really have no reason NOT to hope that we could conceive this cycle. I have been praying a little more fervently this cycle. Even if we do everything perfectly, it's still out of my hands. I also picked up a bottle of prenatal pills and started taking them. As usual I am left to just wait and see.

7 comments:

  1. I am SO excited about your talk next Saturday to those engaged couples!

    I can't imagine a better opportunity to share the Theology of the Body!! Perhaps peruse some of Christopher West's stuff ... he seems to break it down pretty well! But fitting it into one hour IS a tall order.

    I would leave you with this one tidbit: Try to explain to them that the Church is not just about what we are NOT to do. It is about what God is calling us TO. He calls us to something higher, something greater and better than what this world offers us in contraception, abortion, and premarital sex. Try to relay to them what we are saying YES to when we follow the Church's teachings?? Think of it more in that light perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I promise to pray for you. You will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear your experience with Tamoxifen.. like if you get tired around ovulation time, or if you ovulate early or late. Did you have any pain while you were taking it on days 3-7? I did, but I'm probably just weird :)

    Good luck with the talk! I think that is so exciting that you get to do that. But, then again, I'm not the one doing it and I would probably be nervous too. What an opportunity to witness, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby and I have actually talked about being a precanna couple for engaged couples or even do those type of retreats. That is wonderful that you are doing that with your hubby. I'm sure your work makes a difference even on those 1/3 who are not following the churches teachings.
    Anyway, I teach a third grade religious ed class on Sundays and last week we talked about the third commandment of keeping the Sabbath day holy. I happen to do a lot of my housework, etc on Sundays....but today I rested. I came home from class and I enjoyed the day...I think I'll strive to make Sundays holy and leave the day for rest and prayer. I also like to cook a nice Sunday dinner for my hubby and I. God rested...why can't I?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so wonderful that you are doing that talk! May the Holy Spirit guide and inspire you! You could start with a short prayer about keeping an open mind and a soft heart. It is never easy to talk to people who "have" to be there. One thing I recently learned about the Churches "rules" is that they are there so we change our hearts to actually want to do those things He is calling us to do and then we don't need the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely pray for you next Sat. Your talk will go well! I really like Lifehope's advice! What a great way to inspire them to recognize that calls us to something better and more fulfilling.
    Enjoy your long weekend. I am so excited to just have three days off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. best of luck with your talk! Wow, that would be scary!

    I also truly hope the Tamoxifen does the trick! Keep those hopes high and I will be praying!

    I have those theology of the body talks by Christopher West. My husband and I started listening to them a few years ago and didn't get past the first one. (shame on us I know) You have inspired me to dig them out and maybe get my hubby to sit down and listen to them!

    ReplyDelete