Today I got an unexpected suprise with a snow day! I knew we were going to get some winter weather, but I thought school delay/closing wouldn't happen until tomorrow. I'm pretty lucky because our county closes pretty easily (and my school follows the county closings.) Of course it doesn't take much in the DC area to close school - we're only getting a couple of inches today. So I am home enjoying a free day!
Unfortunately I did have a couple of important things planned at school - including Mass this morning. I'm not sure when we will reschedule, especially if we have a delay or closing tomorrow. Oh well! I'm trying to make the most of this day. So far I've done a few loads of laundry, cleaned all the upstairs floors (I HATE THIS JOB but it was so desperately needed) and got dinner going in the crockpot. I'd like to do some photo-organizing online and more cleaning around the house. But I'll have to see just how motivated I am after I finish blogging...
I made it to 9am Mass this morning which was nice. I usually get to 6:30am everyday before school, but this morning I took my hubby to the metro so he didn't have to drive to work. I was actually planning to do a little grocery shopping after Mass, but my car was being funny so I decided I should probably just head home. Better safe than sorry when it's snowing - especially for this California girl!
I will probably do a little reading this afternoon as well. I'm in the middle of "Left to Tell" and it's really good! (AYWH mentioned this book and I think she borrowed it from LifeHopes.) The author writes about how she survived the Rwanda genocide. It is so unreal to imagine experiencing this kind of terror and violence. I am just getting to the part where she describes her conversations with God whiel she was in hiding. It is so inspiring how she was able to cling to her faith during this time. The author is speaking at a convention that I'm going to in April so I'm looking forward to hearing her. A few ladies from my women's prayer group have read her other book as well, so I might have to get that one next!
I'm also hoping to do a little spiritual reading. I have a couple of great books but I have been too lazy to start them. I have been feeling pretty lethargic in my prayer life. I'm not sure what the deal is. In my heart I have the desire for more quiet time, more prayer, and more reflection. Yet I always end up choosing the computer or TV or phone or something else. I think that I will try to start small - choose one day a week that I will commit to praying/reading. It's easier to start small than set an unreachable goal - which I have done too many times.
I keep remembering other times in my life when I was so much better about quiet prayer, spiritual reading and journaling. So I feel guilty that I'm not doing it any more. My spiritual director gave me some good advice about this... he said what worked at one time in our life might not work later. Or at least it might not be the right fit for that time. I keep focusing on how fruitful that kind of prayer was for me and how I want that again. But now all I feel is guilt when I look at my journal sitting on the shelf.
I'm having a bit of a revelation as I type this. In a way this blog has been my "new" journal. It has been extremely helpful for me to process all my thoughts and feelings. Yet blogging does not count as praying and I still feel God's call to do more. But I am going to start small... better to read for 15 minutes than not at all. Also I should try to improve the quality of the prayer time that I already stick to - daily Mass, rosary, etc - instead of trying to add something new. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Pray for me!
Happy Snow Day!!! I love it when my husband and I get stuck at home together.
ReplyDeleteI too have had struggles in finding time for prayer and journaling. I feel like you and consider this blog to be my journal. I like journaling but I like the support I'm getting from blogging better. I know blogging has lead me to praying. I went to Adoration last Fri...I believe the last time I went was Lent last year. Yikes! I've been praying the rosary more. I am with you on finding more time for God...it's tough when there's American Idol to watch or some other dramatic reality tv show on that I am addicted too. I think it will take something called "discipline" to shut the tv off and focus on prayer (for me anyway). God Bless.
Snow days rock. Sounds like it was productive! It is so awesome that you go to daily mass. I try to get there 2 days a week. I subscribe to the magnificat and love it! It is so structured and I really feel like I get the just of what is going on in the Church from a day to day basis. Are you in an apostolate in the church? I went on a Cursillo. Hope tomorrow is as productive as today was for you!
ReplyDeleteWe're having a snow day today! Hopefully I'm productive.. I always plan to be and then never quite do what I intended. I also have 6 hours of "24" to catch up on!! LOL
ReplyDeleteOh, and I totally get what you mean about your prayer life. I've been saying the rosary each night when I get into bed -- I admit I sometimes fall asleep but my mom used to tell me that the angels would finish it for me if that happened :) And at a shrine near us, I picked up some beautiful prayer cards of a few different saints. They're quick, but powerful prayers. It's not always quantity, but quality.