Thursday, September 10, 2009

Things I'm Looking Forward To

I am officially back to school! It feels good to get back into my routine. Although I think it's going to take a couple of days for me to get back into teacher-mode... getting used to standing and talking all day. It's tiring! I share the same sentiments that many other teacher bloggers have posted about. It's exciting to have the fresh start of a new year. But on the other hand, it's depressing to realize that another year has started and I am still infertile. Still no baby. Still teaching when I thought I'd be staying home. I am trying to have a better attitude about it all. My hope is to live in the present without dwelling too much on the past or the future. I'm trying to realize that God is calling me to do His will and to serve Him one day at a time.

We've got some fun things coming up that I am looking forward to, so I am trying to focus on those. As I mentioned we're taking a quick road trip to Columbus this weekend for the USC - Ohio State game. I'm so glad that everything worked out! We didn't have tickets until a couple of days ago, even though we booked our hotel many, many months ago. My hubby and I love college football and we don't get to go to many games since our schools are so far away. I'm excited to see Columbus and their stadium, it's supposed to be an awesome place.

I'm also looking forward to watching football this season in our newly-renovated family room! It's usually feast or famine with us in terms of working on the house. We decided it was time to upgrade our family room since we spend so much time down there. We finally got a flat screen HDTV, surround-sound speaker system and a blu-ray. It's perfect for watching football and movies, both of which we do a lot. My hubby has been dying for more comfortable furniture, so we got a leather, reclining couch and love seat. And then we got some cute IKEA furniture to complement everything - TV stand, desk, side tables and coffee table. I will take a picture once we have something on the mantle and the walls. I'm really pleased with how the room turned out. It makes me so happy just to walk downstairs!

Next month I'm having a significant birthday - turning the big 3-0. I told my hubby last year that I'd really like a party. So he took my idea and ran with it. He's been so cute and has been working really hard to plan a nice party. It's turning out to be a much bigger deal than I imagined. I'm getting really excited! My school has a beautiful multi-purpose room with floor-to-ceiling windows that look out into the woods, so we're going to have it there. We're going to have Mexican food, a margarita machine and some fun party favors. My parents are even coming from California! I think this will help me have a positive attitude about entering a new decade.

Lastly, I am looking forward to a special trip we're planning for the spring. My hubby and I have been wanting to make a pilgrimage for awhile now. Being a teacher it's hard to plan trips because I'm pretty limited on times I can travel and our summer fills up with trips to see family. There are so many holy and beautiful places to make a pilgrimage, it's been hard to decide on where to go. Once everything is confirmed I will share all the details! I'm hoping to find some peace, healing and spiritual rejuvenation from this trip.

11 comments:

  1. I always feel better when I think about the things I have to look forward to! It sounds like you have a lot! What a true blessing! Have an awesome time at the game- I know you'll have a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo...margarita machine!? That is SUCH a good IDEA! I can't wait! Have fun in O! H! I! O! haha... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it will be a fun birthday! I turn 30 in April, and I think I'm going to have DH take me on a trip to celebrate. That might be the only way to survive that event. Sadly, I never thought I'd be one to care about getting older...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't tell my Dh about your bluray or flat screen. The moment we bought our 60some inch tv the flat screens were about the same as what we paid for our 60inch. He is so upset! hahahaha

    I can't wait to see pictures! Post now with nothing on the walls I am nosey and want to see!!!!

    I can't wait to hear about your pilgrimage! That is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I am so excited for you! The birthday party AND pilgrimmage sound wonderful!!!


    Turning 30 didn't bother me too much, for some reason ... unless I have already forgotten about it. I guess I just kept thinking that all the people on "Friends" are in their 30s and look so young still ...

    Can't wait to hear where you decide to go on your pilgrimmage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've missed popping over here!
    Oh my gosh, that sounds like the best party ever!
    You deserve it..

    Enjoy your weekend away with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I'm going to lose my voice and that my feet are going to fall off! Transitioning from summer mode to teacher mode is pretty hard!

    Your birthday celebration sounds like so much fun! Turning 30 was exciting for me. It was the year that we got married and bought our house. I definitely didn't have a magarita machine!

    Have fun at the game. I'm already mourning the start of football season. Mr. JB is really going to enjoy the new basement! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I remember having the conversation with your husband the year LK and I were turning 30, and it went something like this: me: "You know, you just gotta embrace it...'cause the alternative to turning 30 is...ya know...not making it to 30." him: "True." So...rock your 30th year, chicaroo.

    And...something that gives me comfort when I get frustrated with "still" being single is looking at what God is having me do in this time that I may not have been able to do if I had different constraints on my time and attention. I'm praying that there is a student (or heck, several students!) whose life/lives will be changed this year in a really significant way through your teaching or your ministry. God will use this time in ways we just don't fully understand.

    Just muh thoughts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...we must share a birthday month! Though I'm a couple of years older. The party sounds awesome. I'd love to see pics of your new family room. A pilgrimage sounds heavenly...Mr. Mike and I have done a couple of them and they were the best, more therapeutic and enjoyable times of our lives. Can't wait to hear where you'll be going!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your plans for your year. One of the hardest things about IF for very type-A people (and budget Nazis) is the inclination to refuse to spend any time, money, energy, or commitments now - because in X many months you won't be able to work full time, will need another room for a baby, won't be able to travel, will need to have more savings. Sometimes it's hard to live in the life you have - but it sounds like you're doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the fantastic birthday approaching! I am a bit new to the IF blogging world and have enjoyed your blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete