Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Results *updated*

I had my blood drawn last Friday and Monday. I called my doctor's office and just got the results.

Peak + 7:
Estradiol - 423
Progesterone - 21.6

Peak + 10:
Estradiol - 21.6
Progesterone - 2.8

Obviously the first numbers are great and the second numbers are lousy. I have been feeling crampy and PMSy all day today, so my body was already telling me that cycle day 1 will most likely be tomorrow.

Here is what I don't understand - are my numbers on peak + 10 low because my cycle is about to begin? Or does my cycle begin because the numbers are low? Do you see what I'm asking? To me it's kind of like the chicken and the egg scenario - which came first?

During the beginning of 2009 I was taking prometrium for luteal phase support and my numbers started coming back great, so Dr. L took me off it. Do you think I should be on some kind of luteal phase support? HCG? Or something else?

Any advice is appreciated.

**So I woke up this morning (Wednesday, 10/14) to Cycle Day 1. That means my cycle was 24 days long and my luteal phase was 11 days long. I made an appointment with Dr. L for Thursday. Hopefully she agrees that I need some luteal phase support!

13 comments:

  1. I have been googling and reading about the same topic all afternoon! Haha!

    From what I understand, when the embryo doesn't implant (or if the egg is never fertilized) then that sets everything in motion to start your period, meaning the progesterone drops. If it does implant, then that sends a signal to produce hcg, which tells your body not to start your period. Sorry, that is extremely basic!! And perhaps not even right!!

    They must have called us around the same time today with our results, although I didn't get mine from yesterday yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea, but you are only P+10 with a progesterone of 2.9?

    Yes, I think you are a candidate for HCG!! You should be getting your period in 4 days, right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I realized I had a short luteal phase and started using a progesterone cream. Have you ever tried a progesterone cream? It seems to work in extending the luteal phase. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea, really ... but I think some sort of luteal phase support sounds like a good idea with those numbers. You have a somewhat short luteal phase too, right?
    Everything else is so great with your cycles (besides the absence of pregnancy, of course), that it seems like a good thing to try. Do you think Dr. L would be willing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey J -- I have a question too, while I am at it. I was supposed to get peak+ 7,9,11 this month. I was out of town over the weekend, so I got P+7 and P+11 ... although I am not exactly sure about when I ovulated, so it might have been P+6 and P+10. I'm wondering if I should go back in tomorrow for what would be P+12/P+11? Or just wait until next month...
    Any thoughts? I'll ask K too, since I know she has blood tests on the mind as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that the numbers from P+10 weren't very good. I would think that progesterone or HCG would be helpful since the numbers shouldn't be dropping off so early. How long is your luteal phase on average?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm no expert either, but i'd think hcg too! it's worth asking about at least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies for all the great advice!! Seriously, you're the best.

    Well, since I woke up to Cycle Day 1 this morning that means my cycle was 24 days long and my luteal phase was 11 days.

    I called Dr. L yesterday and made an appointment for Thursday morning! Hopefully she agrees that this is our next step. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the post peak progesterone would be a good idea. I am so glad you have an appointment with your dr!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo-Hooo!!!!

    This just cements your case for HCG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh. I am sorry about cycle day one. But I am glad you have an appointment so soon with Dr. L! Hopefully she'll be willing to do HCG or something with you. I think that could really help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Real simply, you are about to start a new cycle because your #s are low. If you were "due" for your period, your numbers wouldn't just necessarily shoot down to accomodate that schedule. Make sense? Which is why having numbers that don't decrease as quickly can give you a longer LP (like being on hCG, or an LUF can cause slow-decreasing p4, too).

    I definately think hCG could be in your future. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete