Friday, October 2, 2009

Updates

So I was tempted to title this post, "I've Been Shot" and even though I figured everyone would know what I was referring to, I decided against it. :)

That being said, I did get my HCG injection. It's a busy week at Tepeyac for injections since AYWH had hers done on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure we're the only ones getting that done over there!

First Dr. L did a sonogram to see what was going on. As always she checked both ovaries and the uterine lining. It was clear that I was ovulating from my left ovary and technically I had already ovulated. The follicle was mis-shapen and had a thicker membrane (or something like that.) That in addition to some fluid behind the ovaries confirmed that I was in the process of ovulating. I was concerned that it was too late for the HCG injection since its purpose is to be a trigger. But she said it was still fine to get it. It would strengthen the egg and other developing follicles.

Unfortunately she noticed something abnormal in my uterine lining that she thinks is a polyp. Apparently it's not a huge concern and it's debatable if it will affect my fertility or not. But I definitely don't like the idea of something unnecessarily growing in my uterus! I have had recent sono's done before with Dr. L and she has never noticed it before, so I wonder if it is a recent development.

I asked Dr.L if she thinks my ovulatory drugs could be the cause. I have been on either clomid, femara or tamoxifen for about three years now. She said there is a good chance that could be to blame. Some women (generally older) who have previously had breast cancer take high doses of tamoxifen daily and some of them have developed uterine polyps and uterine cancer.

Dr. L said we could take a better look at it next cycle and see what's going on. The fact that I haven't had any unusual bleeding was a good sign that this isn't a big deal. She said a simple surgery could remove it if necessary.

Lastly Dr. L suggested that we get a post-coital test done. Basically we have intercourse on peak day and within 12-24 hours I come into the office where they take a sample of my mucus. They check it out under the microscope to see if any sperm are swimming. The bad news is they don't have many treatment options if it looks like the sperm aren't swimming through because it means my mucus and my hubby's sperm are incompatable. Does anyone know more about this?

It feels good to be trying something new this cycle with the HCG injection. I will get peak + 7, 9 and 11 bloodwork done since it's been awhile since I've looked at those levels. I am convinced that next cycle I need to move on to FSH injectables. I'm getting close to the end of the line in terms of my options, so what do I have to lose?

6 comments:

  1. Great!!!! so excited!

    Get on those FSH injectibles, will she order them for you! If you think you need them, then fight for it!! :)

    I asked aywh but do you feel any different with HCG shot? I'm not sure if you would or not?? Just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a poor post-coital (which I don't think you will), I would just use Pre-Seed. As long as the sperm get in the Pre-Seed, they can make it to where they need to go.
    I might also try the baking soda douche (I know, it sounds weird and terrible all at the same time). But apparently it balances out abnormal pH in the vagina so that the acidity doesn't kill off most of the sperm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting the shot! I really hope you don't have a polyp - even though it may not effect your fertility, it is still something that causes worry. I have heard that post-coitals aren't always good indicators. Some women have horrible results and still get pregnant same cycle. But on the other hand, if you get good results it would be a relief and you can cross it off your list. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also heard that post coitals are kind of an outdated way to see what's going on, but I don't know much more than that...

    I hope the polyp is not anything to be worried about! Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Dr. L know you and AYWH are friends? Haha, I wonder if she has figured it out yet! Anyway, I'm so glad you are continuing to gather new info. I'll definitely being praying that the polyp is nothing. Congrats on "getting shot!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My understanding with the polyp is that if there's no vascular tissue (blood vessels), the odds are slim to none that it's cancer. I have one too that I'm having removed when they do everything else, and they actually took a close look at it with a sono-hysterogram. The superfantastic doctor (at WRA - I cannot endorse this practice highly enough - they are so professional! And so thorough!) said the instruments didn't show any vascular tissue. So I think that's what Dr. L was getting at with no bleeding, maybe? Apparently, depending on where it is in the uterus, it is unlikely to interfere with conception. And polyps are pretty common AFAIK. But, if it's bothering you that it's there, you could always have it removed, right? Also, I didn't realize you'd been on those drugs for three running years. Have you not wanted to try a different regimen, or did the doctors not propose one?

    ReplyDelete