Saturday, December 5, 2009

Final SW Visit

Last night was the final visit by our adoption social worker. Thankfully it was pretty quick and easy - especially since I have a nasty cold right now. I wasn't up for too much more.

I knew that she was going to take a tour of the house, but she had warned me that it wasn't a big deal. Basically she just needs to describe the layout of the house in the homestudy. I'm glad I didn't go too crazy cleaning because she literally just peaked into every room and that was it.

We went through a few final questions. She asked us about the waiting period - how were we going to spend that time? Have we researched pediatricians yet? How much time is my hubby planning to take off when the baby comes? What are our expectations and fears?

I tried my best to answer her questions, but it all seems so unreal. I think because we have already been waiting so long, my heart is pretty guarded against these practical considerations. My mind doesn't go there. But she was basically telling us that we have to start thinking about these things. I know there is a chance that things can move very fast, but again my heart doesn't really believe that. I have prepared myself for a long wait.

So after she writes our homestudy, the agency will review it, then we will review it and then it will be finalized. Next we will meet with the domestic team at our agency and get our profile and scrapbook together. (In addition to writing them a big check.) Then we will be officially waiting! I have no idea how long it will all take. Maybe January??? Who knows.

The DC infertility support group is meeting this morning and I'm sad that I will have to miss out because of my cold. Four new ladies are coming, so I hope it goes well. I slept for about 10 hours last night and I don't think I'll be leaving the couch today. I'm hoping to get rid of this cold by the end of the weekend.

I really can't believe that December is here and flying by already. It's going to be a mad-dash to the finish for me with school and youth group and everything else we have going on. As soon as school gets out we are heading to California for Christmas. I absolutely cannot wait!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are moving along great! Sorry you have a cold, they are so annoying!

    Seems like you were just in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better soon! So glad to hear that you're moving along on your path to parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so quick! I feel like just yesterday you were going to the informational meetings.

    The scrapbook/profile seems like it'll be a lot of fun. I can't wait to do ours! I have the books already, just collecting dust in my "nursery" since June.

    I hope you feel better. So great that the group will be helping 4 new women today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a lot of things going on...surgery, home study visits, school...! I'm so sorry you are sick on top of that. Rest up and I hope you feel better soon.

    Congrats on almost being done with your home study. That is very exciting! :) And Christmas around the corner, woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon! Take it easy this weekend.. I know T has a lot of practice taking care of you lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. It's great how fast everything is moving. I hope you get good rest and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! Colds suck!!! I hope that you're feeling better. Get lots of rest and make sure the hubs pampers you!!!

    Seems like the adoption process is moving quickly! I'm so glad that the last SW visit is over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exciting! I understand what you mean about guarding your heart and not allowing yourself to 'go there' because of past experience. Once again, I feel ya! But this could be a beautiful time. I look forward to hearing what the Lord is doing in this time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you're sick. It's awesome that you're moving along on adoption, and you don't have anymore SW visits for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on getting your last visit done. I bet that is a load off. I can't imagine starting to think about all those practical considerations - it makes sense, but it is hard when you have spent years trying to guard your heart. Hope you are feeling better and good luck with school and everything else you have going on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We missed you on Saturday! It was a good chat, and as usual it was noon before we knew it. We really could talk all day :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. The one good thing about the homestudy process is that you can "check it off the list" and if you are like me, that always feels good.

    yes it is a very practical part of the process but when its done things CAN move quickly so that is something to be excited about, right?

    I found that I felt the best when a) we were finally approved, and b) we were finally on a waiting list.

    I almost felt a sense of relief, that we had done our part, now its in God's hands. You are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh and I hope you are better by now! I think I am just coming down with a cold! No Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete