Thursday, March 4, 2010

Adoption Meeting

Our adoption meeting on Tuesday went really well. We spent over an hour with our social worker and mostly we were there to deliver our photo album, letter, profile paperwork and check. It was good to meet our social worker, L, since she will be our contact from this point forward. She works with waiting families and another social worker works with the birth mothers. They come together and discuss potential matches based on the preferences of both sides.

Not surprisingly it was a bit emotional for me. This whole experience is so overwhelming and I bring a lot of baggage to the table anytime we discuss adoption. I never intend (or expect) to cry, but my emotions are so close to the surface at times. I think what is most difficult and painful for me is the complete lack of control. There is not one part of this situation that I can control. I'm sure this is part of what God is trying to teach me. I am trying every day to let go and trust the Lord.

Thankfully L was very kind and helpful as we finalized our profile sheet. I feel great about working with her, which is good considering that this process could take 2-3 years. Of course you never know how things are going to play out and a situation could present itself earlier, but this is the expected timeline.

At this point our agency has 49 waiting families in the domestic program. While that is a big number, I thought it would be even higher than that! L told us that about a year ago they reached their all-time high with 80 families. Wow. It was around that time they decided to encourage waiting families to do some of their own networking and advertising.

All families who entered the program in 2010 are now required to take a webinar about outreach. In a way it's disappointing to think that our agency knows they are limited and they need us to do some networking to find birth mothers. But on the other hand, since I had already decided to do some of our own outreach it's good to have some resources and guidance from them.

If we do find a birth mother they will help and support us through the process, although legally they can only facilitate matches in DC, MD, and VA. Anything that's out of state will have to be done with another agency or lawyer.

I was really pleased to learn that they had 7 placements in February. That sounds like a lot to me! Even though none of those babies match our profile, it's good to know that our agency has a lot going on.

They said that most of their birth mothers contact them just before or just after delivery. Once in awhile a birth mother will make an adoption plan early, but more often than not it's after the baby is born. This means that most likely we will get a call and things will move quickly. While that's exciting, it also makes preparing pretty difficult. I currently have one full-time job, two part-time jobs, a summer job and various other commitments. While I will gladly drop everything to become a stay-at-home mom, I also want to fulfill my commitments. At this point, most people in my life know we are waiting to adopt (including my employer) so I feel that I have covered my bases.

My heart has slowly changed over time with regards to this time of waiting. I feel more comfortable about making some preparations since we WILL become parents. We don't know how, or when, or who... but this process will eventually lead to a baby! It's hard for this reality to set in. I have been protecting my heart for so long because infertility does not make this same promise.

My hubby and I chatted about this after our meeting. We are going to start doing a few things to get ready: purge some junk, paint the "nursery" room, start researching baby furniture and possibly start purchasing some items. I don't envision getting anything set-up yet, but it will be good to have things ready to go. We are going to create a "what to buy" list so that we're ready when the time comes.

With regards to outreach and networking, does anyone have advice to share? I started looking around at various websites and (not surprisingly) it was overwhelming to me. One site had over 200 couples listing their profile. Is it worth it to do something like that? I am thinking about creating our own website so we can easily share our letter and pictures. Any advice about which webhost to use?

As I mentioned in my previous post, it was so wonderful to find the prayer "Patient Trust" sitting on my desk when I got to school after my meeting. The words of that prayer were exactly what I needed to hear. I was so consoled by this God-incidence and felt the Lord's presence so strongly in that moment.

I was most struck by this line, "Give our Lord the benefit of believing that his hand is leading you, and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself in suspense and incomplete."

Wow. I need to spend more time with this in prayer. No one wants to accept the anxiety of feeling in suspense and incomplete, and yet this is how I'm feeling. I must strive everyday to "trust the slow work of God."

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Congrats on moving forward with the process. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I am grateful that God is moving our hearts in similar ways, though separate situations. I'm grateful that we are both in more hopeful, more patient places! God is good...in His Way, His Time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your meeting went well. Thanks for sharing so much about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that most women wait that long to decide-that does make it difficult to plan. What a whirlwind it will be when it happens!
    I think Sissy was looking into using a professional with lots of contacts. She might be able to help offer her perspective on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your meeting went well! They had a ton of placements in Feb.- that is amazing! :)

    Another thing you might want to do is contact the sw each month to check in. I did that so we were on her mind...plus she always gave me info. which was helpful. :) I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see how God's plan unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I will ever get used to having NO CONTROL obviously, I've never had it....But still it is very hard....The good thing is that we are are in the hands of a loving father that sees the whole picture. It's easier said then done... ;) Can't wait to see how it unfolds!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Even though you are praying for trust, I am in awe of your trusting already! What a blessing to see how you are so open and preparing your home, all for an unknown. What a beautiful witness! I'm sure God is very pleased with you already. I'll pray for you on this unpredictable journey - it WILL happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how hard it is to wait. My husband and I have been waiting for about a year now, but we went through a failed match last May. I have moments where it is hard for me to be patient, but then I know that it will happen sometime. I go back and forth, with some days easier than others.

    Wheelbarrow Rider spoke of how I was trying to network a little bit, but I haven't gotten too far. I am leery of using a facilitator, since they aren't licensed in all states. I check around a little bit and have emailed several other adoption agencies, just to check in. Other than that, I haven't done too much. I would be interested to learn what your webinar offers as tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good friend of mind got her match from the father of boy on her son's soccer team. This father happened to work as an OB/GYN and one day went up to my friend and told her about a single, pregnant woman who wanted to make an adoption plan. The adoption went through an attourney and my friend's son is now 3 years old. She credits spreading the word via word of mouth. Since you work in the wonderful world of teaching (YEA!), that might be an option. Just an idea.

    Your trust and perseverence is so inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can understand how you feel about all that "baggage" going in. But God takes care of all of that so you won't have to worry.

    Just remember that your heart is full of love to give, and that you have a vocation to motherhood. He will take care of the rest.

    I can honestly say after having L for 2 months, my heart is so tender for her, so very much in love with her every smile, every little move she makes is so precious to me. I look back and I see the Lord's hand moving in all of this ... bringing us all together. I know He does this in a very special way in adoption because He has a heart for adoption.

    I am so excited for you and am always here to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you were able to move things forward with the adoption process. 7 placements in one month does sounds like a lot! I think it would be good to start looking at things online and maybe even setting up a registry. You don't have to tell anyone about it, but when the time comes, you could just order everything really quickly or if people ask what you need, you could have the registry all set up. That prayer/poem was so beautiful. It is amazing to watch the Holy Spirit work! Glad your trip is coming up soon. It is going to be so amazing! Will you email me your address? I wanted to send you something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear the meeting went well! I remember being surprised at the info meeting when they told us that most women who plan for adoption don't realize they can pick the parents, or don't realize that they can make a plan before the baby is born.
    I'm glad to hear you're starting to prepare - there is definitely a lot do and it's not something you ever feel like you can do while TTC, but now...you never know, someone could choose you the first time they share your profile!

    ReplyDelete