We had such an amazing experience in Rome. I would love to share it with you and also write it down for posterity sake. I linked my previous pilgrimage posts on the right side under my profile in case you want to read or re-read about our time in Lourdes, Toulouse and Roma.
Thursday, April 1st - Holy Thursday
Our international cell phone came in handy a few times on this trip. We also used it each morning as our alarm clock, so that was really helpful. We quickly got ready that morning so we could meet Fr. Charlie at 8:15am outside of St. Peter's. (We had just arrived in Rome the night before and were too late to pick up our tickets to the Chrism Mass. Fr. Charlie was a friend-of-a-friend living in Rome that we had never met, but he helped us get tickets. In a crazy turn of events he is now back home and assigned to our parish!)
We easily spotted Fr. Charlie in our meeting place - one of the Bernini fountains - and he gave us the tickets. A line was already forming, so we quickly joined it. After chatting with him for a bit, he realized that the priests were entering through a separate door. Apparently the Chrism Mass is the one Mass all year that any priest can con-celebrate with the Holy Father. We said good-bye and he went in through the special entrance.
Before coming to Rome we had been told that the Chrism Mass is one of the least-attended of all the Papal Masses during Holy Week - especially since the Mass of the Last Supper is the same evening and most people want to attend that one. It was relatively easy to get into this Mass: the line was orderly and moved quickly, we easily went through security and a metal-detector, and found pretty good seats inside St. Peter's. (We didn't know it at the time, but it would be much more difficult to get into the Good Friday and Easter Sunday services.)
This view never gets old:
They are pretty strict about the dress code in St. Peter's. This sign was posted near the entrance - apparently no bathing suits allowed! Ha ha...
The famous Swiss guards are stationed everywhere.
It was pretty surreal to enter St. Peter's for Mass. We had visited the night before, but it was different this time knowing we would be celebrating Mass with the Pope! We were given Mass programs when we entered - really they were little books. It had all the music, readings and parts of the Mass written in both Italian and Latin. Even though we don't speak either of those languages, it was pretty easy to follow along. It helped that I had brought my Magnificat with me, so I was glad that I could follow the readings in English. We don't attend Mass in Latin very often, but it was so beautiful to experience it here - especially with the Holy Father and during Holy Week. I was so overwhelmed thinking about the hundreds of years of Masses that were celebrated in this very place. Our faith and our Church is so beautiful!
As you can see in this picture we got there pretty early and sat as close as we could, but a TON of seats in the front were reserved for the priests - since so many were con-celebrating. (Notice all the nuns??? You'd be amazed at how pushy there were!)
Before Mass began it took at least 30 minutes for all the priests, bishops and cardinals to process in. I couldn't believe how many there were!
I spotted Fr. Charlie processing in, although it was tough to get a good picture. (He's the young priest with glasses.)
You can see the long line of bishops wearing their miters (tall hats.)
Once Mass was ready to begin all the lights came on. It was breath-takingly beautiful! One thing I realized during this trip (after visiting TONS of churches) is that most churches leave the lights off unless Mass is being celebrated. I was so grateful that we could see St. Peter's in all its glory.
Another piece of advice we were given is that if you can't sit near the front, you should at least try to sit as close as possible to the aisle - this way you can be close to the Holy Father when he enters and exits. We ended up sitting four seats in - not too bad - and we had a SPECTACULAR view of the Pope! The procession started and more bishops and/or cardinals processed in. At last the Holy Father entered! Everyone was cheering, standing on chairs and taking pictures! You can see that his secret service stays very close to protect him.
We were so close to him! I couldn't believe it.
The Swiss guards processed in and out with him. Seriously, I will never get over the size and grandeur of this place. Just look at how huge the walls are compared to the people!
Can you see the Pope on the altar in this picture? Obviously we were pretty far back, but it was so thrilling to celebrate Mass with him! 
Since it was the Chrism Mass the holy oils were blessed. Can you believe the size of the vassel that they rolled in?
Recessional
My husband got some video with his phone at the end of Mass.
I love watching this video because it brings me right back to that moment. People were very respectful and orderly during the processional. But at the end of Mass it got a little chaotic. (It seems that this happens each time.) Even before the Pope exited people began picking up chairs and stacking them so they could move as close to the aisle as possible. People began standing on chairs to have a better view. (I almost fell off mine, to the complete embarrassment of my husband!)
I couldn't believe how pushy the nuns were! It was hilarious to watch them, especially once the Holy Father was gone - we watched these really old nuns stack chairs and push their way towards the doors.
To be continued...
How cool that you got to attend mass at St Peter's! Gotta love the Vatican hook ups! ;)
ReplyDeleteMy BIL has concelebrated mass with the pope (when he was studying in Rome) and we saw him on TV! If I remember correctly it was for the Easter Vigil & for Midnight Mass. He goes back next month so I hope he gets the opportunity again!
Can't wait to read the rest of your pilgrimage story!
AMAZING!!!!!! In 2004, I got to attend Mass at St Petes by JP the GREAT! It was incredible- but it was outside, so it didn't have the same feel to it. HOW INCREDIBLE!!!! St. Peter's is awe-inspiring. Absolutely breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for part 2!
Beautiful pics, G! And I'm so glad you decided to finish telling us about your trip! It looks like it was just an amazing Mass. I cracked up when you talked about the pushy nuns. My sister and I went to Rome and I remember them doing that too. Hilarious. Looking forward to part II~
ReplyDeleteI loved visiting St. Peter's when I was there on a trip with school kids. Thought it was an amazing church, and of course, the artwork and architecture are breathtaking! The day we were there someone was getting married in a side chapel and the couple took pictures outside by one of the fountains.
ReplyDeleteI know I am selfish, but I have been waiting for you to get back to your pilgrimage sooner or later. You had a major and wonderful interruption, but I had been waiting for you to get to Rome since I have been there! LOL. So funny to me.
AWESOME!!!!!!! I WOULD HAVE DIED!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting these pictures! And the commentary was great too. We plan on a pilgrimage to Rome next year at Christmas so your info will come in very handy! God Bless!
ReplyDeleteUnbelievable!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful - thanks for sharing this. It brings back lovely memories for me - we were married in the choir chapel at St Peters.
ReplyDelete