The problem with not blogging for so long is that I don't know what to write, besides a random hodge-podge of what we've been up to. So I guess that will have to do for now.
Yesterday was the last class in the catechist course (on Sacraments) that I've been teaching. I invited one of my priest-friends to hear Confessions and say Mass for our little group of teachers and it was really nice. Even though our group was small, I know that the ones who came really appreciated it. It's wonderful to celebrate Mass in a small group when you have the chance. I'm so glad that I went to Confession. I had been meaning to go for awhile and I know that my soul really needed it. A few of the teachers were pretty nervous to go - I think it had been awhile - but I know that everyone was glad to receive the grace of the Sacraments.
Part of my penance relates to Lent and I am SO READY for Lent! Ha ha... I feel like I say this every year - about both Lent and Advent - but it's true. I always need the Liturgical seasons to call me back to the Lord and get my priorities straight. I'm still trying to sort out my Lenten goals, but I have a few ideas.
Lent and Easter are so late this year, but I am excited to think that spring will really be here by Easter! I am so ready for some warmer weather - not only for my sake, but to be able to spend time outside with Tommy. He was a newborn last summer and it was too hot to be outside and of course it's been a freezing, cold winter this year. He absolutely loves to look out the window and I know he will love spending time outside. It was in the 50s on Sunday and we spent a little time in the yard with him. I was thrilled to see that our daffodil and tulip plants are starting to pop up. Tommy couldn't get enough of the grass and trees and everything around him. I can't wait to take him to the park, the zoo and to find a swimming pool!
Yesterday we mailed in our application for adoption #2. I was under the impression that the process would be simpler the second time around since we are using the same agency, but it looks like we will have to do everything over again - the entire homestudy, SW visits, etc. I am honestly not looking forward to all the papework and the crazy hoops that we have to jump through - but I know that it's so worth it in the end. And I'm grateful that emotionally and spiritually, it's much easier this time around. Is it crazy that I'm ready for another baby?? I know the waiting will be easier this time, but whether we conceive or adopt I'm ready to continue growing our family!
So a funny thing has happened to me twice recently - two people have commented on how they can't believe that Tommy is getting so big because they remember when I was pregnant. Um, excuse me?? Isn't that funny?? One was a clerk at the grocery store (I've never met her in my life!) and one was a man from church (I recognized him, but I don't really know him.) The man at church made the comment this past Sunday after Mass in front of my husband and a few members of the choir. We all giggled as he walked away. I didn't correct either person because I knew we weren't having a long conversation. I know that Grace in My Heart posted about this once, but has this happened to any other adoptive moms?
Last weekend my husband and I went to our first movie since Tommy was born. It was a belated Valentines-night-out and we had been looking forward to it for awhile. My good friend L and I decided to do a date night swap - we are going to take turns babysitting so the other couple can go out once the babies are asleep. Our plan was to see "The Kings Speech" and get dessert afterwards. Nothing seemed to work out the way we planned and we were joking that it had been so long since we had been on a date that we couldn't remember how to do it! For some reason there was a ton of traffic getting to the movie theater and by the time we had parked we realized we were going to miss the showtime. We decided to see "True Grit" instead, but we had to stand in a long line to get tickets and then stand in another line to wait for our theater. Once we found our seats people quickly filled in around us until the theater was full. I must be getting old because I was so annoyed with all the lines and crowds. The movie was great, but when we got to Cold.stone Ice Cream there was another really long line. We were already later than we had planned and we didn't want to keep L waiting, so instead we picked up Mc.Donald's milkshakes on our way home. Overall it was a great night and so fun to be out, but we had to laugh at ourselves. We felt so old and out of practice with going out!
Speaking of my friend L, her little boy Luke just turned one. It was so fun to celebrate his first birthday - it was Tommy's first time going to a birthday party for a friend! I can't believe that he will be turning one in just a couple of months. Here are a few pictures from the party.
The Birthday Boy with his parents.
Major faux-pas by Tommy - he wore the same outfit as the birthday boy!
Do they ever stop putting everything in their mouths??
Tommy has recently started sticking out his tongue... little stinker!
SO CUTE and what a hilarious comment! I like your attitude towards Lent. I dread it, but always need it!
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh i cannot believe people. too funny. you must see "the king's speech!" practice having another date night! it's sooo good!
ReplyDeleteFor years, we've only gone to matinee movies! I hate the crowds, the unruly teenagers, the lines. Plus it's cheaper (barely).
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear things are well on their way to adoption #2, although not thrilled to hear the process is the same the second time around (since they did our HS and we'll be using the agency for our 2nd as well, I was hoping it would be easier!). It is what it is, I guess...
Love the pics!
Love the updates! Glad Tommy is doing well. I feel the same way about spring coming. Bella (9 months) was a newborn last summer and too hot to go outside and then winter came and we have been sick most of the winter...it keeps going around our family. This spring we are building her a play area in our back yard and I can't wait to spend time outdoors again!
ReplyDeleteGlad to have landed on your blog today when you have a big "catch up" post. I too am so ready for Lent. It just does not seem right to be moving into spring without being in Lent...and the Feast of teh Sacred Heart will be in July this year. That does not seem right, even though it is! I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. Please stop by and return the favor.
ReplyDeleteLOVE THIS!! I miss you!
ReplyDeleteHe is so precious. Thanks for the update.
ReplyDeleteOmg, those boys could be brothers! Haha! So cute!
ReplyDeleteYou took the words right out of my mouth about Lent. Really feeling like I need to be drawn back to the Lord right now!
Adorable! Loved the update! It is interesting to hear the perspective about summer babies. My boys are fall and I do complain that we are stuck in all winter worried about illness etc and very ready for spring. I guess it is that way no matter when they are born and you can be stuck inside in the summer too (it def gets very hot here as well). I loved the pics and the comments make me smile. We loved True Grit, the first movie we've seen in forever! And we are anxiously awaiting Lent and spring over here as well. So good to hear from you!
ReplyDelete