
I have been reading this book - The Four Teresas - and was inspired by Mother Teresa's reflections on joy and humility.
I read this passage this morning in which she was talking about smiling, even when it is not easy:
My smile is a great mantle which covers a multitude of sufferings. I smile all the time. The sisters and people think that my faith, my hope and my love are profoundly fulfilling me... If they only knew...only blind faith moves me along, because the truth is that all is darkness for me.
Some might think the above quote is suggesting that we be fake. I see it that Mother Teresa chose to love the Lord, to serve her neighbor and to keep a positive attitude despite her suffering. She joyfully accepted the call to die to herself daily to help bring souls to Jesus. Even though I am not in a place of darkness or suffering right now, I really related to these words. Every moment of every day we have a choice in how we can react to situations.
Next Mother Teresa reflects on humility with these simple instructions:
Speak as little as possible of oneself.
Mind one's own business.
Avoid curiosity.
Do not want to manage other people's affairs.
Accept contradiction and correction cheerfully.
Pass over the mistakes of others.
Accept blame when innocent.
Yield to the will of others.
Accept insults and injuries.
Accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked.
Be kind and gentle even under provocation.
Do not seek to be specially loved and admired.
Never stand on one's dignity.
Yield in discussion even though one is right.
Choose always the hardest.
I was really struck by these words - it is truly a high calling to live this way in our daily lives.
Lent is quickly approaching (tomorrow!) and I'm still not ready yet. Any suggestions for some good Lenten goals? Either fasting from something or a way to increase prayer?
Great words to live by!
ReplyDeleteCheck our my post for Lenten ideas.
Mr JB and I are going to pray the rosary together again this Lent and I'm planning on giving up FB (you did that too one year, right?).
ReplyDeleteI really feel called to more prayer this year. It's been a rough couple of months around here!
Love those quotes, G!
ReplyDeleteI love that we now both have a post about this book on our blog :) Thank you for your honest reflection! I'm looking forward to seeing you tonight. I need it!
ReplyDelete