Thursday, February 27, 2014

Lent



Lent will be here soon!  I was struck by this reflection that I read this morning and I'm hoping to find some creative service projects to do this Lent. 

How do we recover the sharp edge of Scripture in a world like ours?  The works of mercy rouse us to feed the hungry and shelter the homeless.  The coat drive leaves us feeling warm.  But the works of justice are a tougher sell.  The struggles for fair wages or immigration reform take time; groups clash and compromise gets ridiculed.  For many, political engagement feels like exile; they turn back to charity, where making a difference is easier to grasp.

The Gospel exhortations end with dire warnings: if your foot causes you to sin, cut if off.  Pope Francis exhorts in a different key.  He urges us to open our doors and get out in the streets with those bruised and hurting.  Behind our walls is security.  To stand with those who struggle is joy.  And it is joy that salts our life.

That passage is from this link - the Creighton Online Ministries Daily Reflections.   I have been trying to read the daily readings each morning (using the Laudate app on my phone) and then I read the daily reflection from the Creighton website.  I am usually very inspired by the reflections from this site. 

Anyone have advice on good activities to do with kids?  I would like to do a couple of Lenten projects with the kids. 

I will end with one of my favorite meatless recipes that becomes a staple during Lent. 

Veggie Polenta Bake

2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 eggplant (diced)
1 zucchini (diced)
1 pepper (green or yellow or red - diced)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
10 oz baby spinach
1 1/2 C marinara sauce (I use Arrabbiata sauce from Trader Joe's and think it's yummy!)
1/2 C chopped fresh basil
14 oz prepared polenta (sliced lengthwise into 6 thin slices)
1 1/2 C mozzarella (I use 3/4 C mozzarella and 3/4 C parmesan)

-Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

-Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, pepper, salt and pepper and cook; stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender and just beginning to brown. Add spinach, cover and cook until wilted, stirring once, about 3 minutes. Stir marinara sauce into the veggies and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in basil.

-Place polenta slices in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 3/4 C cheese (mozzarella), top with the eggplant mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 C cheese (Parmesan.) Bake until bubbling and the cheese has just melted, 12-15 minutes. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.

-Yummy when served with crusty bread!

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of reading the daily readings as part of my Lenten journey. :)

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds delicious!! And gluten free!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to write my Lenten post and saw yours! :) Can't wait to share Lent with you and our prayer group ladies...thanks for the Lenten recipe, too! I may try it! (because cooking is a thing that I do now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It is so good! My boys said it tasted like pizza. --Kelly

    ReplyDelete