Friday, February 7, 2014

The Way of Trust and Love

I have been reading this great book recently and I had to share it.  It's filled with beautiful meditations on the life and spirituality of St. Therese. 


During my retreat a few weeks ago, this book was being read during our meal times.  (It was a silent retreat so there was no talking during meals.) We didn't get all the way through it so when I got home I ordered a copy so I could go through the entire book.

The book is a collection of talks given by the author on a retreat a few years ago.  Apparently he never intended it to be a book, but there was such a high demand that he put his notes together in this book. 

I've been reading a few pages every morning during my prayer time.  Praise God, I am actually having prayer time again in the morning.  It's been a long time since I've consistently done this and I hope that I can keep it up. 

It's hard with the kids' sleep schedules - and the unpredictability of when they will wake up.  Even when I set my alarm pretty early, they would often still wake before me.  We have one of those toddler alarm clocks with the bunny, so at least Tommy stays in his room until 6:00am.  And just recently Molly switched from two naps to one nap, so she has been sleeping in even later. 

What has worked for me the past few weeks is to get up at 5:00am and that gives me about an hour.  I have my coffee and go through the daily readings and a couple of reflections (all on my phone.)  Then I've been reading a few pages from the St. Therese book and do a little journaling.  Journaling has always been a great method of praying for me because it causes me to slow down and reflect. 

All of that takes about 30 minutes.  Then I try to do a few things around the house before the kids wake up - make lunches, empty the dishwasher, return emails,  etc.  I feel SO much better when I can accomplish a few things without my two little darlings "helping" me or begging for breakfast. 

It's amazing to me how the most simple and familiar truths about the faith can have new meaning each time you read them - whether it's Scripture or the writings of St. Therese, which I've read before.  They speak to me in new ways now that I'm in a different place in life - as a wife and mother.  I know that it's the work of the Holy Spirit speaking to me in the way that I need to hear it. 

I will end with a passage from the book that sums up this idea -

"Several of the psalms begin with these words:  'Sing to the Lord a new song.'  That is surprising because we repeat the same psalms, say these same words again and again. But sung with love, the song really is always new, because love makes everything new all the time.  Love never tires.  The Holy Spirit can renew the love in our hearts every morning, as well as our faith and trust."

St. Therese, the Little Flower, pray for us.

7 comments:

  1. I love her! Thanks for sharing your morning prayer moments with our joint friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO beautiful, G! I would love to go on a silent retreat sometime. I bet it was amazing. I recently started a morning prayer routine also and it has been good for my soul. Much easier to do before all the kiddos get up…hope you guys have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the routine of praying in the morning to start the day. I definitely notice a difference on the days I make the effort to do so! :) And I love silent retreats - they are the best and I can't wait until mine in April! So glad yours was fruitful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great routine you have! This book sounds wonderful, daily readings on the phone is a great idea, and writing in a prayer journal is a lovely way to slow down, as you said. Love all of it! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! It resonates with me so much. I agree, getting up early is the key. I am inspired again to set my alarm early. (but it seems to get earlier and earlier to beat the kiddos!).
    I loved that quote about singing to the Lord a new song ... How true that is! I had never thought of that before!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm reading a st. therese book as well! her autobiography, the story of a soul. i've missed the last two weeks though so thanks for the encouragement to get back on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay yay yay! So glad you are getting time to pray and thank you for introducing me to this book! Can't wait to discuss it with you :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete