I have met a lot of new people recently - mostly because of moving to our new house, neighborhood and parish. It's been an interesting experience to make new friends at this stage in life. I feel so old to be making new friends! It can take a long time to really get to know someone, so how much do you reveal at a time?
Everyone in our life already knows "our story," so it's been an interesting experience to tell our story to someone brand new. Specifically, figuring out when to tell people that my kids are adopted.
Most people presume that our kids are not adopted. They look they could be our biological children so no one even questions it. People go so far as to comment how they look just like us and just like each other. I politely nod my head and accept compliments when strangers say how cute they are or how much they look like me.
I met some new women last month on my retreat. It was mostly a silent retreat, but we broke the silence at dinner time and had small group sharing after dinner. A lot of my reflections on the retreat had to do with my vocation as wife and mother. It had nothing to do with my infertility or my kids' adoptions. So I didn't end up sharing that information until the third night of our retreat.
The reason it came out was because another woman was talking about her health problems, including some years of infertility, before her daughter was born. I immediately wanted to share our story so that she knew I understood what she experienced, but by then it felt a little late to reveal something like that. I felt like since I had waited, others might think I was holding back or somehow ashamed. As soon as I said something, the rest of the women in the group had a million questions for me about our kids' stories and the whole process of adoption.
That whole experience kind of caught me off guard. I LOVE sharing our story. We have been so, so blessed and I will tell anyone who sits next to me my life's story. I feel so honored and blessed that God has given us our children and extra blessed the way He brought them to us.
I think one reason it caught me off guard is because I probably haven't told anyone the story of how we adopted Tommy and/or Molly in years! I guess we haven't met many new people until just recently. Most people in our lives went through these experiences with us.
It was fun to talk about all these things... the pilgrimage to Lourdes/Rome, getting the call about Tommy, then waiting for adoption #2, switching agencies, driving to Indiana, our time in the NICU with Molly, etc. As I said, I love telling our story. However, I felt that these women looked at me differently afterwards. Nothing bad, of course. They are lovely, faithful women who enjoyed hearing this journey. But it still made me different. An adoptive mom, instead of just a regular mom. And I hadn't felt like that in a long time. Or possibly ever.
Since then I've also told three other women (from my neighborhood MOMS group) and our new parish priest. So that is why this has been on my mind a lot lately. Some situations it's very clear when to bring up this information. For example, groups of moms are very often talking about pregnancy and breastfeeding. Obviously I have nothing to contribute to these conversations. But I also don't want to make others feel awkward - as if they can't continue to talk about these topics.
Everyone is always very positive and supportive. People love to ask questions and want to know more about it. But my experience has been that people don't often know what exactly to ask or how to ask. And inevitably they say one of these things - (1) Oh, I know so-and-so who adopted or (2) I've always thought that I would one day want to adopt too. Nothing is wrong with saying those things - and I'm guessing they mean it when they say it - but it's just so interesting to me how often I hear it. I guess it's human nature to want to make connections, so perhaps they are trying to connect with me.
The other part of this whole discussion that sometimes comes up is the reason we adopted. New friends don't generally come out and ask if we are infertile. But I can tell that they are dancing around the subject.
Also, people don't always know the right adoption "lingo." Which of course, I wouldn't either if I hadn't gone through this experience! But people often say to me, "So was Molly's mom tall?" or "Did Tommy's parents have bright blue eyes?" I am not offended by these questions, but I'm take aback when I hear people call someone else their mother or their parent. Especially because these kinds of questions often come from our close family and friends.
Perhaps I am reading into this too much. As I mentioned, it's been on my mind because it's been happening so much lately. I don't want to share too much too early with new friends - but I also feel like I'm holding back some kind of secret if I know someone for awhile and I haven't told them.
The last point I will make (and then I will end this rambling post!) is that I realize these are my kids' stories. I am sharing details about THEIR life. Pretty soon, they will be old enough to be the ones making the decisions about who to tell and how to tell. I want to be sensitive to them and what they would prefer.
Any other adoptive families have insight to share on this topic??
It is obvious that our kids are adopted since we are different races, and man, we've had to deal with SO. MANY. of these conversations. Fortunately it has died off in the last year or so, but before that (when we moved a couple times) I felt like I was constantly fielding questions about if "they are real brothers and sisters" and "where are they from" and "have you met their mom" etc...And these sorts of questions really bug my oldest (who is nine), so I have gotten pretty good nipping these conversations in the bud as soon as possible.
ReplyDeleteI do enjoy talking about how each of my kids joined our family...those are such happy happy memories, but I don't want to share details about my kid's private situations, and I don't appreciate questions that make us seem like an "unreal" family...the biggest question being "are they real brothers and sisters" to which I just say "yes" anymore. :)
My best advice for people is to just ask "oh, tell me about their adoption" and that allows us parents to share what is prudent, and to share our own excitement and joy at receiving these kids into our family.
I guess I have been thinking about this sort of thing a lot, too lately! :)
I can't wait to be able to tell people about our adoptive childrens' stories. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm really glad you posted this! I've been thinking a lot about the types of questions we'll get post-adoption and the feelings I'll have about them. I also wonder about how much we'll want to share and with who. It's great to hear your insights and feelings, as I feel my responses would be very simliar. Adoption is so unique so I think it naturally makes people curious. Though I do wish they could think up better, more respectful questions sometimes. I like K's suggestion. I'd love it if all they said to you was "Oh, tell me about their adoption." That way you have the freedom to choose what you want to share. Very respectful. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post! I share all of your sentiments. It's an interesting place to be.
ReplyDeleteThe two things you said people inevitably say, we get ALL the time. And we always joke that they say #2 as if it's like donating to a charity. They thought about doing something good for the world (adopting)..and one day they might get around to it..just like we did. As if that's all it is. I also always get the people who don't know the lingo. Everyone always refers to their mothers or fathers. Oh well. Like you said, I probably would do that too if not for adopting myself.
ReplyDeleteI love sharing our adoption story too! (And hopefully another one soon!) I agree, people do not always know what to say, but they usually do mean well and usually aren't trying to be nosy. I never share information about C's birth family - even our own family doesn't know a whole lot about her, because we figure that is his information to share with if he wants to someday. So I always tell people I'm more than happy to share about the process, the excitement of getting the call and bringing him home, and the joy of meeting her in person and keeping in touch - and what an amazing woman she is, but I tell them if they ask personal questions (like her age, etc), that I don't answer personal questions about his birth family. People sometimes do make judgements, which is hard, but I try to educate them instead of getting upset. And I'm clear that birthmothers make this choice out of a great love for their children.
ReplyDeleteSince C is clearly much darker-skinned than me or my hubby, people don't generally need to ask. :) I had one girl ask me at the grocery store if he had been adopted, and she was very polite and respectful about it, and then asked if I minded if she asked me a few questions. I told her about the agency and answered a few other questions, and she thanked me very much at the end of the conversation - so I wondered if she was experiencing IF, or if she was considering it herself and wanted to know from someone who had gone through it. Another girl I met at church just came up and asked one time, and I was totally caught off guard, but then she said her son had been adopted as well (and I wouldn't have guessed because he was blonde just like her!) She's become a very dear friend. It really is an instant bond meeting another adoptive mother!
Oh and one other thing - when people say how lucky C is, I am very emphatic that we are the lucky ones. :)
I love that you posted this story because I feel like you gave me the best education in IF and adoption (as well as some other blogs I would sometimes read through yours), and it was so intense, exciting, and emotional to see your story unfold, but also, I just had the thought the other day as I glanced at your pics, that I really had to *think* (hard!) about Tommy & Molly's birth stories / adoption stories to remember that moment, because when I see them I just know they are yours and you are theirs - there's no telling the story behind it from a glance! It's awesome how there really is a seamless unity that was prepared in you and T to receive them and grow your family in that way, and it's so awesome how God made it all come to pass. Your story could only ever be a testament to the gift of life, your faith, His faithfulness, and the redemptive power of suffering, so keep sharing it as you feel called and keep being the as generous as you were with the awkwardness of other clueless people! Knowing you, you'll come up with some good tactful ways of helping people see the realities they may be missing in those conversations. So happy you're blogging all week! :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteknow exactly what you mean here, G. Thanks for sharing! I feel like everyone we know knows we adopted, but I just recently met up with a new mom friend and we were talking about children/ages/years between each child. It would have been a natural point to mention that our kiddos are adopted but I didn't…it was on the tip of my tongue, but I just decided that it would be something I'd mention in the future if it comes up again. I love sharing our story, but try to keep my answers to questions really simple. I'm thinking it's really a case-by-case situation… Loving all your posts…keep them coming!
ReplyDelete