She proceeded to tell me that couples are experiencing extremely long wait times with their domestic program and that they currently have 60 families on the waiting list. Can you believe that??? This is a local agency that works with just the DC area! She said couples should expect a wait time of 2-5 years (even if you're open to all ethnicity's.) For various reasons they have a lot of couples wanting to adopt and not as many birth mothers. One reason is that international adoption has become more difficult over the past couple of years. Many countries are now "closed" to adoptions, so couples who would have pursued this avenue are now turning to domestic programs. Also, of course, we can't forget the sad reality that many women who might consider adoption choose abortion instead. The social worker also mentioned that many birth mothers are choosing private adoptions - seeking out adoptive parents on their own without an agency. It was all very disheartening, to say the least. I know other bloggers have mentioned this in their posts recently. As if adoption isn't difficult enough, why does it seem to be getting harder right now?
The social worker suggested that we do our home study, classes/counseling, and follow-up with them, but look at other agencies throughout the country for the actual placement. She is going to email me a list of agencies that they are recommending couples try to work with.
In terms of cycle news I'm on day 11 and looking for my peak day. :) I did hear back from my doctor's office and she agreed that getting my blood work done on peak + 7, 9 and 11 was a good idea. Hopefully this will shed some light!
Today is the 4th anniversary of the death of John Paul the Great. I remember that day so clearly. It's hard to believe he's been gone so long. No words are adequate to describe what an amazing man he was. He is truly my hero. I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes:
Man cannot live without love. He remains a being that is incomprehensible for himself, his life is senseless, if love is not revealed to him.
-Redemptor Hominis

John Paul the Great, pray for us!
i remember the day that JPII died as clear as day. we were engaged at the time and mr. jb was over watching the news channels to see how he was doing. my heart dropped when the announcement came.
ReplyDeletewe hoped to have him bless our marriage during our honeymoon. we went to rome for the first five days before heading to greece. unfortunately pope benedict wasn't in town when we were in rome.
i'm so sorry that adoption is going to take longer than you hoped. it seems like us IF girls have so many roadblocks!!!
I remember watching it all on television... especially the announcement of the new Pope, and how cute (I thought) it was that the Italians nicknamed him Pappa Razzi :)
ReplyDeleteI hate that adoption is so hard. In so many different ways it's hard. :(
Wow - 2-5 years. I can't believe that. I keep thinking that if/when we decide to adopt, it will take about a year. Obviously we're going to have to rethink things.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI remember it all so clearly about John Paul II. I recently read an amazing book he wrote and it was a book for bishops and priests, but I learned so much about his life. I don't really know where the book came from, but I found it on my bookshelf one day. It was amazing and I want you to know that when I was preparing for my surgery I asked for his intercession and I continue to ask for his prayers daily!
ReplyDeleteSorry about the news on adoption, but miracles abound! Keep your amazing faith! God is busy working!!!
Love JP2 :)
ReplyDeleteJPII is the reason I became Catholic.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful reminder- JP II is definitely watching over all of us! I think I should start bugging him in prayer to begin changing women's hearts and minds to adoption rather than abortion. :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that wait that agency has in D.C. That is just unbelievable! I had a friend that went through a particular agency and you can kind of choose the waiting length by how much you pay (or something like this) for domestic adoption. If you want I can find out the name for you. I know that from the tme they stated their paper work through the time they got their phone call was like 8 months or something VERY short. Just thought I would tell you about it though :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, thanks for the reminder about the anniversary of Pope John Paul II death. I completely forgot about which day it was on. I have a friend that attributes the blessing of her pregnancy on a novena she prayed to him. She was infertile was 4 and 1/2 years. He was such a great man!