Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hysterosonogram

I had the Hysterosonogram done yesterday at Fair Oaks Hospital and my mom ended up coming with me! My parents arrived at my house around lunch time, so I ran home from school, had a quick lunch with them and then took off with my mom. I was glad to have her along for the ride even though she had to wait for an hour in the waiting room while I had it done.

Overall it was a pretty unpleasant experience. The only results I got from the radiologist was that she did see a polyp. She will send the results to Dr. L and I'm assuming I'll hear from her or from a nurse in a couple of days about what to do next.

**WARNING** Stop reading if you don't want to hear the graphic details!

Ha ha... it's really not too bad, but I know that some of my readers don't want to hear these kind of details. When the tech first took me back she informed me that Dr. L should have sent her scans to the hospital. Usually the radiologist looks at the original scans and decides what kind of scan she's going to do. Since this didn't happen, the tech had to re-do the originals.

The first thing she did was a pelvic sono (the kind that pregnant ladies get with the gel on their belly.) I've never had one of these done before and my first thought was, "Will I ever have one of these done to see my growing baby?" Ugh, it was pretty depressing to think about it.

Next she moved onto the vaginal sono. Even though I've had this done many times with Dr. L, it was uncomfortable to have it done by a stranger. Not that I'm that close with Dr. L! But for some reason it was different. Especially since a second person was in the room and the fact that I wasn't in an OB-Gyn office. It seemed to take a REALLY long time. I have no idea how long it actually took, but it felt like forever. She must have taken a ton of pictures because I kept hearing the "ding" on the computer monitor.

After she finished the scans she had to show them to the radiologist to determine whether or not she was going to do the hysterosonogram. After about 20 minutes the radiologist came in and said that yes there was something there that needed a closer look.

The radiologist first inserted the speculum. I don't think I've ever looked at one before - and it was HUGE! It kind of freaked me out. Next she inserted a catheter and used it to inject saline into my uterus and tubes. And lastly she inserted the sono-probe. Oh.my.gosh, there was a lot going on down there. The saline caused some mild pain and cramping (kind of like getting an HSG done.) She moved the probe around to try and get a good look at the polyp.

I had a lot of questions, but I wasn't sure if I should ask the radiologist or save them for Dr. L. The radiologist said that from what she could tell, it did not look like a fibroid. She said that it shouldn't have any effect on fertility, unless an embryo tries to implant exactly in that spot.

Hopefully I will hear back from Tepeyac in the next couple of days. Either way I have an appointment next week with Dr. L (for the post-coital test) so I will get to speak with her then.

For now, I'm going to begin my birthday celebrations! :)

17 comments:

  1. Glad it wasn't too painful- I'll be interested to hear what your doc makes of the results. Have some great birthday celebrations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it wasn't too bad. I hope you get the results soon.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your mom could go along with you :).

    Have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing your mom was there! :)

    I'm glad that you had this done- now I hope you get some answers from Dr. L! Let the party weekend begin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. Speculum and birthday celebration should never be used in the same blog post ;)I shudder at the thought! ;) You deserve to celebrate after all that, friend! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hysterosonograms are not fun at all! I'm so glad that your mom could go with you.

    Happy Birthday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that doesnt' sound pleasant at all. Glad it's over with.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got that out of the way yesterday so you can now enjoy today to the fullest!

    Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew! Glad you got that one behind you!!

    Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that *does* sound like a lot going on down there! ;) Hope you learn more soon. Happy birthday!
    I loved turning 30. I declared that I could start saying things like, "yeah, I'm 30. I don't do that stuff anymore."
    What day is your appointment next week? I think I am going to see the morning of Oct. 30th

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to go with no speculum is a good speculum here. You're pretty tough if you characterized the whole thing as "discomfort." Dr. L told me the same thing about my polyp (er, when she thought I had one - turns out I didn't, I guess). But when I was doing surgery anyway she did try to remove it. Turns out that procedure is called a D&C. I understand why, of course, but I hate it that it's the same one and kept trying to tell the nurses I had never been pregnant (which was stupid, because THEY don't think D&C necessarily means abortion). Just prepare yourself for that bit of nomenclature unpleasantness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fHope you get some good results, and Happy Birthday!! We're almost the same age :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good stuff! Glad to hear it went as smooth as it could... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw my 1st one of those last week, and the woman had cramping, too... it brought back all kinds of horrid memories of my HSG, so I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I hope it was quick!

    Do you remember what the area of suspicion looked like? Fibroids tend to be darker and more completely round than polyps. Polyps are lighter and since they are a softer tissue, they are squished easily and appear long-ish, oval, etc.
    Was it in your endometrial canal? Have you been experiencing any bleeding issues as a result? (Heavier than normal menstruation, bleeding between cycles, etc)?

    Happy Birthday, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That whole experience sounded very uncomfortable!!! I hate getting those types of things done. But I hope you get great results.


    May God grant you many blessings for your birthday!!! I hope that it is a very special day for you. Whoo-hoo! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you had the best birthday and party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, i found you through Sew Infertile's blog. I noticed you mentioned Tepeyac and are in MD. Are you going to Tepeyac FC with Dr. B? I lived in Va for 3 years and he first diagnosed me with PCOS back in 2000. You are SOOOOO lucky to be under the care of he and his team! God bless!

    ReplyDelete