We are moving ahead with our adoption plans. We've had our homestudy paperwork completed for a couple of weeks now and it's all ready to be turned in! Our adoption class is on Saturday, so I figured we could just turn it in then. After the class, we will have two more home visits from the social worker. She will interview us separately and she will also interview one of our references. Then she will write the homestudy and (hopefully!) approve us. I'm hoping it will be completed in November.
If you remember, could you please say a little prayer for our class on Saturday? I have to admit that I'm dreading it. I'm praying for a change of attitude so that I'm more positive. But I can't help but feel resentful that we have to spend a day "preparing" us to be parents. I totally understand why they do this and I agree that it's important to think about all that adoption entails. They are preparing us more for that than for simply being parents. But still. I just don't want to go. It definitely helps to remember that this is one piece of the big picture. If this road leads us to growing our family, then of course it will be worth it.
Those of you who are homestudy approved, did you have to attend a class? If we actually use their domestic program and get matched, we will have to do one more class after the adoption is finalized. At this point we are only signed up to have the homestudy done. Pretty soon we will have to decide if we are going to use them for placement as well. This agency requires a 25% non-refundable down payment, so for us that would mean $5,000. Obviously we have to think carefully about that decision.
Tomorrow I will get my peak + 7 bloodwork done. It's been a couple of months since I've done this, so I am curious to see what my levels are. I will also get it drawn on Monday, which will be peak + 10. If they come back looking "normal" I will be curious what Dr. L thinks about me continuing with Tamoxifen. I wonder if I really need to be taking it.
Well, two weeks until I turn 30. I am getting pretty excited about the party that my hubby is throwing me. It's going to be so much fun! And thankfully it has provided a nice distraction. It's keeping me from getting too depressed about getting old! :)
It's awesome that you are making progress in the adoption process. I hope the 30th b-day party is really fun. I'm praying for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm praying!
ReplyDeleteI did not have to attend a class, or pay a fee ahead of time, but then again our agency isn't our typical agency. And they don't have babies either.. haha!
No, we didn't have to go to a class - our homestudy was done in our home.
ReplyDeleteI was so nervous!
But then the social worker laughed and said, "We're not here to inspect the dust on your bookshelves. We're here to make sure there's not a running chainsaw in the middle of your living room."
I laughed and we had a great time and I am glad I passed! I felt so accomplished!
:)
I do like the class idea, though. Meeting other couples in your shoes is a nice thing, and social workers by and large are just amazing people. They do what they do because they love children. They are friendly and good with people and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
And this was EVERY SINGLE social worker I met, including the one who shows up at the hospital to "interview" you - he was awesome and made me feel so comfortable, and I knew he was also looking out for the birthmom.
How exciting! You're moving forward!!!
Yay!
-Cathy
I think this is GREAT news!
ReplyDeleteLook on the bright side - once you are done with this class, no more education, right?
We didn't have to take a class, but we are now having to go through online "classes" with our agency that are done from home. I kind of prefer just knocking it all out at once, you know? Get it over with. You also might meet some really nice people that you never would have encountered in the process, which is always cool.
VERY exciting! Congrats on finishing your paperwork mountain!!
Oh yeah, we had to do the class thing. Our homestudy agency required a class...then for our international adoption we had to read a book and take a test, and we had to take three online classes. I remember feeling just like you, but I must say the info I learned has come in handy (some of it, not all of it!).
ReplyDelete"They" should make anyone considering becoming a parent in ANY fashion take some sort of class. I can't believe all the red tape you have to go through with the adoption process. I know it's for the kids' protection, but maybe that should be done when people GET pregnant, too!! Hoping the class goes well and that your birthday is LOTS of fun!
ReplyDeleteI will definitely pray for you that day!! And by the way, I'm glad you're celebrating 30. Have a blast!! I'm flying to California next week and will think of you!
ReplyDeleteWe had 3 days of classes, but we were going to be certified for fostering/foster to adopt/adoption. We had a lot to learn. I really had a hard time with the invasiveness of the process and the classes, but looking back I think that it was something I had to go through for my pride. It greatly humbled me. Happy early birthday!! Woo hoo!!
ReplyDeleteyour party is coming up! yippeee! I think good things are in store for you, I'm praying at least!
ReplyDeleteI was so excited about adoption, that I dragged DH to all 4 required educational meetings before we even had our first formal homestudy meeting!! Typically, our agency reserves the education meetings (they have different themes for each one- like drug use by bmom, transracial adoption, networking, etc.) for those who have had their formal app approved and are in homestudy, but our SW saw how eager I was and allowed us to do them before that point. We actually did learn a lot, but I think that's because they weren't just general "adoption" classes, but were geared towards specific areas of concern.
ReplyDelete