The readings during Mass yesterday were so beautiful and they really struck me. (I meant to post about this yesterday, but as often happens the day got away from me.) My friend Julia's blog gives a great reflection on these readings as well. She is a great woman of faith and has been such a source of encouragement to me lately! You can check it out here if you'd like.
The first reading every day this week has been from 1 John. This beautiful letter is all about God's love for us. The part that most spoke to me was, "God is love... there is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear." I so needed to hear this! I have been struggling with fear in my spiritual journey - fear that I won't like God's plans, fear that I'm always going to be childless, etc.
My head knows that with God there is nothing to fear, and yet my heart is still afraid. And obviously it's hard to have a good relationship with someone if you're afraid of them or what they might do! The priest brought up this point during his homily. Can you imagine what kind of relationship I would have with my husband if I was afraid of him? The same is true with God. He loves me more than I could imagine and He wants nothing but my happiness - true, eternal happiness - not just the fleeting pleasures of this life.
The theme of the Gospel passage goes right along with the first reading. The apostles see Jesus walking on water and were terrified so Jesus says, "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid." Again, the Lord is telling us not to fear. Even when times are confusing, difficult, scary, and painful. We must continue to trust in Him.
Fear is not of God. I am convinced that the devil uses fear to turn us away from God. In the moments when I am struggling to trust I need to remember these basic truths: God is love. In love there is no fear.
Yesterday's Magnificat reflection by Fr. John Tauler, OP highlights this point. He says, "The demon will leave all else, if only he can unsettle your confidence... genuine love is confidence in God's love during the time of desolation of spirit." He goes on to say that we need to enter our inmost soul where God's grace awaits us. If we continue to resist this inner voice, one day we will cease to hear it.
There have been many times when I was afraid of this inner voice. I was afraid of silence, and quiet prayer, and even letting myself go during adoration because I didn't want to hear what the Lord has to say. I was too afraid that I wouldn't like His plan. How ridiculous is that? Over the past couple of months I have relished my quiet prayer and the words the Lord has spoken to me. He has reminded me of His love. He loves me more than I could ever imagine or repay. How could I not trust in His plans for my life?
Love, love, love this, my dear!!! We are on same wavelength, for sure! Thanks for the shout out and for sharing! Can't wait to pray with you in person soon :)
ReplyDeleteI actually made it to daily mass yesterday and I felt the same way you did about the readings. God is love and we shouldn't be afraid. The priest said something that really stuck with me: "Keeping your eyes on the Lord is keeping your eyes on heaven." If through our sufferings we can keep our eyes on Him, we will be that much closer to our final destination, heaven. I was so happy that I went to mass and came home with something to reflect on. It's hard...so hard...to see Love and God in hurt and pain. In my mind, I can think God loves me but it's sometimes hard to feel that way in my heart. As I live God's will...I'm just learning and reminding myself that His Plan is the best plan and it's all about how much He loves me. Thanks for the reflection!
ReplyDeleteGreat reflection. I just got the Magnificat for Christmas, so I have been reading through it in the evenings and some of the very same things jumped out at me! Glad you got some insight and have been able to spend some good time in prayer recently.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting such a great reflection. You are so right about fear and doubt being from the evil one! It reminds me of 3 books actually-the Screwtape letters speaks from the evil point of view that is on that very thing. Also, I was fortunate to hear the author of a great book, Left to Tell, speak and she said she constantly has doubts and it is the devil whispering in her ear, etc. Finally, Scott Hahn writes a book "A Father who Keeps His Promises;" it in he reminds us just how trustworthy God using countless stories from the bible. Someone recently posted that God pursues us like we are pursuing children and more-how true!
ReplyDeleteI totally understand the God pursues us thing...I get caught running more times then I would like to admit! ;) hehehehehe Getting snatched up by the neck by God is very humbling, one would think I would stop! ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
hi lady!
ReplyDeleteI'm coming Sat Feb 13-Sun Feb 20-- I'll be staying with Ann for a bit so I'll be right down the street! I hope you're around!
Yay!
Great post. The 1John scripture is my favorite!
ReplyDeletedang it shannon I will miss you by 11 days!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the reflection! I'm having a lot of problems with dealing with fear from IF right now. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete