So for those of you who've been here before... any surgery advice for me? All of a sudden, I feel like there are things I should be doing that I'm not!! What should I be doing?
Also, I was curious if your doctors spoke with you after the surgery. At my last appointment I forgot to ask her this question. When I asked one of the nurses she said that Dr. L would come out to speak with my hubby but probably would not see me until the post-op appointment (two weeks after.) Does that sound right? Also, should I expect her to have news and results immediately? Obviously she should tell my hubby what she saw and did, right? Just curious...
Tell your husband to have a handheld tape recorder to record what your Dr. says to him immediately after your surgery so he can replay it for you. You will still be too groggy to be part of that conversation but you will be glad you recorded it!
ReplyDeleteMy Dr. did tell me briefly what happened during my surgery, as soon as I "came to." But I was WAY out of it, and in my memory, I just remember him looking at my face and sounding like the teacher from Charlie Brown :)
ReplyDeleteBut upon discharge, the Dr. did have a chance to come give me explicit discharge instructions and (briefly) review his findings with me. He also gave me pictures at this point. But you will definately hear more at your post-op appt.
As for getting ready, just try your best to relax. Easier said than done, I know, but it's SOOO much easier and not at all as scary as I had thought. It goes by 1-2-3. Just try to eat a nice, big meal the early evening before, because it may be a while before you can eat REAL food again.
OH, and the best advice I was given was to ask for a piece of gauze to wrap around your wedding ring BEFORE they tape it down with masking tape. This way the tape doesn't get all that sticky stuff on your ring. You can also take off all your rings, but I personally felt more comfortable wearing it. After all, the surgery was being done in major part FOR my marriage (so we could bring kids into it), so I felt it was apropos.
I LOVE lifehopes' suggestion of the handheld recorder (even a cell phone voice recorder should work, I would think). I didn't see my doctor until the post-op appointment. I was also told to shower with antibacterial soap before the surgery, which made sense to me. On my way to adoration shortly . . . :)
ReplyDeleteHm.... rent lots of movies and get some good books and magazines for the week after - or knit something :)
ReplyDeletei don't have any advice (although i'm taking notes for my future surgery)!
ReplyDeleteyou're in my thoughts and prayers! hugs to you!
Love the idea of recording what your doctor says! Also, tell your husband not to wear headphones in the waiting room so that when they page him he doesn't miss it and then appear to be MIA while his wife is recovering from surgery and then a nurse has to tell her this while she is all groggy and wondering why her husband left her! Not the best thing to wake up to.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure I didn't speak with Dr. H after my first surgery until my follow-up appointment five days later. After my 2nd surgery, I saw another PPVI doctor every day only because I was in the hospital and they had to do rounds each morning. So that is pretty normal I think.
Also, if it's an option, ask for a priest to do a blessing before you get wheeled it. That calmed me down a lot!
Good luck!!
When you come too don't cuss at the nursing staff because their cackling woke you up, and you are demanding to know what they did to you! Probably not a good idea! :) I wonder if I have to confess that even though I wasn't in the right state of mind? I fell right back to sleep after they told me! :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, walk, walk, walk, walk. It REALLY helps the pain. Get out of bed as soon as they let you. Walk through the pain. The first 10 steps are tough, but after that it feels so good to get out of that bed. Keep moving, no matter what time of the day it is or how slow you are! ;) That was the best advice I received!
Don't rush youself through recovery. Your body can't heal correctly if you are in a lot of pain ,because it concentrates on the pain, not healing. So push the happy button. :)
Pre Surgery they offered me anti anxiety medicine. So I took it and slept like a baby. :) I remember seeing my doctor post op but had no clue what he told me.
I am so excited for you!!! This is the greatest thing! I could tell a difference 3 days post surgery! My insides felt like they were set free! Can you believe it just right around the corner!?
Do you have to do a bowel prep?
They told me to drink lots of water. I don't know why because they pumped me so full of fluids, my body was distorted! :)
ReplyDeleteSorry, I can't get all I want to say in one post! AAAGG!!! I took my rings off, I gained at least 15 pounds post surgery from all of the fluids. I don't know what happens in a regular Lap though.
ReplyDeleteAlso, yes, they will have the diagnosis right away! :)
Okay, I promise I am done!!
oh my gosh AYWH!!! Your comment has me cracking up!!!!
ReplyDeleteI had totally forgotten all about that old surgery story!!!!
Oh he'll never live that one down, will he???
hey when is your surgery, anyway??
ReplyDeleteI should know, but I don't! For some reason I thought it was yesterday so I was praying for you lots ... but apparently it wasn't so what is the exact day?
I would like to say some special prayers for you.
You are in my prayers!! May you have a great surgery!!
ReplyDeleteI really like the advice Lifehopes gave about the recorder i wish someone had told me that when i did my lap. I can't believe the doctor was giving me information while i was just coming out the anesthesia, I remember telling the Dr i needed more pain killers, which i really didn't but i was scared i would feel pain. It would have been nice to record it, I drove myself crazy the two weeks after my surgery wondering how the surgery went (my follow up wasn't booked till to weeks after)
Praying for you!