Last night the pastor at my church had a heart attack and died. I was with him when it happened. It is still so unreal and I think I'm in a bit of shock. I keep replaying all the events over and over in my mind and I just can't believe it actually happened.
I sang with the choir for Holy Thursday Mass. At the end of Mass, everyone processed out of the church with the Blessed Sacrament into the hall for adoration. Most of the choir members left after Mass and the church was pretty much empty. I hung around chatting with Fr. T (my spiritual director.) While we were standing there the pastor, Fr. B, came up to us and said that he wasn't feeling well. We told him to sit down and got him some water. He began complaining of chest pains and we could tell that his condition was deteriorating. Thankfully a nurse was near-by and she helped out. I called 911 while the nurse and Fr. T had Fr. B lie down.
The 911 dispatcher had a bunch of questions and Fr. B was answering all of them for me. He was still conscious, but he was in pain and was short of breath. He kept asking, "Where is the ambulance? Are they here yet? Did you give them the right address?" His pain was getting worse and you could tell he was scared. He said to Fr. T, "Anoint me, anoint me. Get the oil." Fr. T had the oil in his pocket and immediately anointed him.
It felt like an eternity waiting for them to arrive. At first they were at the wrong building and the dispatcher called me back. I went outside to help the ambulance find us. By the time I came in with the paramedics he was unresponsive. The nurse had gotten the AED machine from the school and had shocked him once. It didn't work.
The paramedics probably spent 15-20 minutes working on him. They used their AED three times with no success. It was flatline each time. They gave him epinephrine shots and continued compressions the entire time. Eventually they wheeled him out to the ambulance and rushed him to the hospital. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Even as I type this it feels like an out-of-body experience. I am in shock and it is all very surreal. I can't believe that I was just talking to Fr. B and now he is gone. Just like that. It all happened so fast - from not feeling well, to chest pains, to being unresponsive. And now he's gone.
He was 55 years old and just celebrated his birthday on Wednesday.
My hubby was remarking that while Fr. B's life was cut short, he did have a "happy death." You know how St. Joseph is the patron of that? Well he died right in front of the St. Joseph statue in our church. It was relatively quick, he had just finished Holy Thursday Mass, and he was anointed by his brother priest before he lost consciousness.
Please join me in praying for his soul, for his family and for our parish community. I have no idea how the priests will be able to function through services this weekend. I am not sure how the parish will get through this time.
May his soul rest in peace and may perpetual light shine upon him.
I am so very sorry for you and your entire Church. It is always hard to lose someone who means so much to you. At least he was surrounded by people who loved him and cared for him very much.
ReplyDeleteBe sure that you give yourself some time to process and handle all of this. It is a blessing that you were able to be there for him, but seeing all that happen can be very hard. I will keep you and your community in my prayers.
I'm in shock too. Fr B and I were pretty close. I learned so much from working with him. Gerri called me last night and told me. I just can't believe it.
ReplyDeleteYou're right though, he truly did have a "happy death." I was reflecting last night that these past couple of weeks he must have been steeped in his priestly ministry and how beautiful it is that he passed away after celebrating the Lord's Supper and entering into the Triduum.
Let me know if you want to talk. I won't put my phone number here, but we can e-mail...I'm hoping to come down for the funeral.
oh my goodness! i read your FB status and i wondered what was up. that has to be one of the saddest things that i could ever imagine.
ReplyDeleteit seems like he chose the perfect time to pass away. how lucky he was to be with a you, a nurse and another priest!
you and your church community are in my prayers.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your pastor. You and your whole parish are in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI just said a prayer for you and for your church and for your pastor's soul. I am sorry that you had to expereience this, but God's calls us to places and it takes us awhile to understand it all! I hope your heart can be calmed and that the shock wears off very soon. That is a young life, but I am so glad he asked for the annointing! God was present and I pray his soul is rejoicing in God's presence!
ReplyDeleteI said a prayer for your pastor and for the church. Your post is another reminder that we never know when our time is up and we must live our lives as holy and as lovingly as we can so we can get to heaven. In an instant, our lives can be over. Your pastor was very quick to think in his time of need and ask for the anointing. He was also very blessed to have just celebrated mass (how ironic that it was the Last Supper) and he got to receive communion. God bless his soul and may God bring the church together in prayer.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness... 55?? That is too young to leave this world. But as you remarked, it sounds like it was a happy death, and a blessed one at that. We should all be so lucky to go quickly, with relatively little discomfort, having just received the Eucharist and Anointing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shock for you and the parish. I will keep you all in my prayers.
Oh my goodness!!
ReplyDeleteWow you are right - although his life was cut short, right after celebrating Holy Thursday mass and getting anointed, is there any question where he is celebrating Easter??
Chills ran up my arms when I read your post. What a blessing that you were all there to help him during his last moments. You and your parish community are in my prayers. I'm sure your pastor will be watching over you all this Easter.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry! I can't believe you witnessed it all. That is so unreal. You're in my prayers and I hope you are able to have a great Easter. Thanks for your prayers for Ryan and for the very sweet card!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about this. I cannot imagine being there to witness it all. It seems that you and your parish must have experienced Good Friday in a particular way this year. Keeping all of you in my prayers.
ReplyDelete