I had a great two weeks at home in California! But it's always great to get back home to my life here in Maryland. Where is my home? Home is where the heart is, right? :)
This might seem like a really strange tangent, but I noticed that I kept using the word home to refer to both places - where I grew up and where I live now. I guess it's just another part of life and getting older. My hubby and I are both transplants, so we hold the places where we grew up in a special place since we are far from them now. And yet, we are a family now and this is our home - mortgage payment and all!
It ends up being an emotional time for me when I'm back in California... I end up remembering the past, reconnecting with friends and family, and feeling a kind of tug-of-war with my emotions. But after living here for 8 years it doesn't take long for me to get back into the swing of things. We love our life here and know that this is where God has called us to be.
Of course infertility plays a big part in this emotional rollar-coaster. Reconnecting with people and getting caught up on everyone's lives forces me to confront my infertility in a big way. The passing of time is thrown in my face and I end up answering the question, "So what's going on with you?" about a million times. How can I stay positive when answering this question? I don't necessarily want to get into how I'm really feeling each and every time. And yet I can't deny the truth. It's hard to chit-chat about my job(s) and other things in life when really this cloud of infertility is shadowing everything.
Well, I didn't mean for this to become a downer post. For the most part I had an amazing two weeks! I promise to post pictures soon from our incredible week in Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon. They have to be some of the most beautiful places in the world! Thank God everything went well with our travels (except for my brother's car breaking down on the way back. Poor guy!) Then I was able to spend another week at my parent's house. I'm so thankful for this time. It's good for my soul to just get away and be in a different place.
Nothing new to report in cycle news. I think I'm on cycle day 11, so I'm starting to look for my O day. I've pretty much given up on charting - which feels freeing in a way! I'm not sure what will be next for me in terms of treatment. I feel like I need to bring suggestions to Dr. L next time I meet with her - but I don't know what to ask for. I would love for her to be more aggressive and suggest something new. But she is content to just wait. She seems to think our plan is "working" and it's only a matter of time. It's hard for me to feel the same way.
We got our HUGE adoption paperwork packet, so now that is hanging over our heads. Now that we're back from vacation we need to schedule our first meeting with the social worker. It feels good to be moving forward with the homestudy process, even though we're not sure what we're going to do once we're homestudy-approved. We will work on this part first, and then decide which agency to go with after that.
I've got two more weeks of summer camp and then school starts. Where did the summer go???
Oh, and one last comment. Did anyone see "Julie and Julia"? I went with my mom and thought it was super cute! I had to laugh at all the references to blogging. It made me think of you all. And there was once very poignant scene that deal with IF. It caught me totally off guard. But overall I thought the movie was adorable!
Yeah...I dread seeing people we haven't seen in awhile...Lately, the child thing hasn't come up...I think by now...everyone knows or is too afraid to ask. I truly don't think anyone cares anymore either....so if I did get pregnant...it would be a shocker to everyone. My dh caught up with an old friend and she told him that her and her dh do not have children and they are enjoying their lives traveling and doing other things they enjoy. I thought that was comforting to know.
ReplyDeleteI know all about the summer slipping away. I'm a sub right now but sometimes when school begins...I can get called. I'm having a hard time going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. I have to work on that!
Glad you are back and enjoyed your time with family and friends in CA. Sounds like you had a nice visit. God Bless.
I'm a CA girl too!! As my mom says, everytime I go home it's like putting on an old, comfortable shoe. Still, my hubby and I have made a life for ourselves in Kentucky.
ReplyDeleteI found that saying "we're starting the international adoption process" answered the myriad of infertility questions. We just sent out our application today, so pray for us! :)
i think the toughest thing about living in the city where i grew up are all of the questions, "so how many kids do you have?" it also doesn't help that i teach for the same school board that i went to high school in! even my former teachers are in on the questions!
ReplyDeletei just started "julie and julia" this morning. i don't know when i'll feel up to going to the movies. the book is pretty good so far and i'm only at page 100.
i'm glad that you had a great time back in CA! although my crazy family drives me nuts i couldn't imagine being so far away from them!
can't wait to see the photos!!
p.s. don't start saying the S word!!! eek!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are back! It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Infertility is a harsh reality in certain circumstances, but I'm so glad we all have our faith to sustain us during those times. What would we do without it?
ReplyDeleteI'm seriously about to cry that the school year is about to start up again- where did the summer go? We must start at the same time...I'll be praying the next two weeks go SLOWLY!
I certainly understand the strong associations with home. I don't have a family home to be anchored to at all - what I've felt the tug with is that my home with my husband (and this rental really feels homey in a way that the apartments didn't) would REALLY be home - if we had kids. That's magical thinking, right? "Everything would be better if only..." But it really seems like that must be RIGHT.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, glad you enjoyed the time in your (childhood) home and kudos for fending off the questions. It's a skill we build, right?
I am so glad you had a great time! Sounds wonderful :)
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU for bringing up that awkward, awkward question that people always ask couples without kids. I HATE that question, especially since we have no "other" nice news going on- it just becomes really, really awkward attempt to avoid the pink elephant in the room- the unspoken question, which is, "So why don't you have kids yet and when are you planning on starting?"
I know people don't realize how hard it is to answer that question from our perspective. And honestly, I think MOST people hate that question and use their KIDS as a fallback for THEIR insecurities! (i.e. if work is going slowly, they don't have a house, they are divorced, etc... everyone has an insecurity, not just infertiles.)
That question should just be banned altogether, lol! At social functions, people should just say to each other, "So... wanna drink?" :)