Friday, August 28, 2009

Time and Waiting

I have been struck by various songs and reflections and passages on time and waiting recently.

It started when I received an awesome package in the mail from a lovely blogger friend a couple of days ago. She sent me a book and a CD - both on the subjects of waiting. I have been listening to the CD non-stop. Music really speaks to me and I usually find my deepest moments of communion with God through song. The words of these songs really struck me to the core. One song - Silence by Joy Williams - talks about how God sometimes answers our prayers with silence. She sings of how she will be faithful to God and trust during this time of silence. Man, that is exactly how I feel. I was so overwhelmed by these words that I just sobbed in my car as I drove to school. These kind of tears are not sorrowful for me, they are a very deep connection to the Lord. It's when I am most raw and open and honest with Him. I'm not crying out in anger, but in faith and in surrender. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but that is how it feels to me.

Shortly after I came across this:
You have kept a record of my tears; are they not written in your book? Psalm 56:9

And then this from one of my favorites:
Thus says the Lord, cease your cries of mourning, wipe the tears from your eyes. The sorrow you have shown shall have its reward, says the Lord. There is hope for your future, says the Lord. Jeremiah 31:16-17

Both of these were in the Magnificat prayers for the feast of St. Monica. She who prayed and cried and prayed and cried for her son. Have we not done the same for our future children? I felt compelled to pray for her intercession. Look at how her perseverance paid off? Our Church would be very different without St. Augustine and his contributions.

Then, the meditation for the day was about the Gospel passage - how we must stay awake and wait for the Lord, for we do not know when he will come. Time is a funny thing, because it exists only for us. God Himself exists outside of time, and yet He chose to enter our world and our time. The reflection says,

"Time is meant to awaken, intensify and deepen our longing." (Obviously this refers to our longing for the Lord - but to me it also speaks to our longing for a child.) "Time makes us humble before God. First he purifies our all-too-impetuous enthusiasm, then he gradually brings us back to what is fundamental: the passionate but peaceful waiting for him whom we love and who awaits us even more than we can ever await him... God is greater than time, greater also than our waiting, just as he is greater than our own heart."

Wow. How great is that? And then, just when I thought I couldn't handle any more, today's Gospel was more about waiting on the Lord and being prepared for His arrival. The writing of St. Augustine was used in today's meditation. He says,

"Faith is the ground of things hoped for, the conviction of things which cannot be seen. When you hope, you don't yet have what you are hoping for, but by believing it you resemble someone who does possess it... The reason faith is greatly rewarded is that it doesn't see, and yet believes. If it could see, what reward would there be? What you want has its price... if you shirk the hard work of the journey, how can you expect the joy of possession?"

These passages are so rich! I need to sit with them even more. I hope it gives you some food for thought too.

You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
-St. Augustine

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and beautiful reflections. Indeed, you and I are very much on the same path right now...finding peace as we wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! I especially love the last one by St. Augustine. Incredible. Thanks for sharing!

    And God is working on you so beautifully! I'm glad they weren't tears of sadness. I don't want to think that you were crying on your way to work! But I know what you mean. Tears can be a great thing sometimes, especially when you are connecting in a deep way to the Lord. Of course I hope your time of waiting isn't long, but whatever the length, it sounds like it will be fruitful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful reflections!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! I needed to hear this today. Thanks so much. So often I forget that God's will for me at this moment is just to wait on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to share ... it is truly encouraging and renewing to my waiting soul ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful reflection. I'd almost forgotten - St. Monica's feast day and her son's are back-to-back. I have to take a look at those prayers for St. Augustine today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to share this beautiful novena with you. It was given to me by a friend who is a Catholic homeschooling Mom of nine children and an author. She told me that she and a group of couples suffering from infertility prayed this novena and in the next year every one of them were blessed with a child!

    *************************

    Novena to JPII for _______ to conceive a baby.

    Dear John Paul II, servant of God, we believers of the Most Holy Trinity; Mary, the mother of God; St. Joseph; and the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church are united in prayers with those on the Catholic-Fertility list.

    Dear John Paul II, servant of God, who are already in heaven, this is a novena for your intercession that __________ becomes pregnant and delivers a healthy baby who will glorify and praise God.

    For people certain things are impossible to attain and sometimes people are unable to understand God's will, but we deeply believe in your intercession, JPII. You always defended children, especially the unborn ones, and you loved them above all. Please look at _________ who is asking for biological children. Look at the tears in her eyes begging to become a mother.

    St Ann, you gave birth at a late age to our Queen of Heaven and Earth, the Most Holy Mary. That is what God wanted. With God nothing is impossible.

    We believe that God, Creator of heaven and earth, will look kindly upon _______ and give her the blessing, through Mary, the Virgin Mother of God and JPII, of becoming a mother of her biological and adopted children whom she will love and thank God for.

    Deal JPII, please help our prayers to be answered and that _____________'s womb be filled with the beating heart of a tiny baby. We already give you thanks and sincerely believe in your intercession to God.

    Dear JPII, your beloved mother also asked God for you to be born. Please remember our prayers. Amen

    ReplyDelete