Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Polyp Removal

The polyp is gone! Yesterday's procedure went well. For the most part it was very easy. My surgery was scheduled for 11:15 and they ask you to arrive two hours early. I remember a lot of sitting around last year, so my hubby and I brought along plenty of things to read.

After I checked in and was hanging out in the waiting room for awhile, I was surprised they hadn't called me back yet. Finally a nurse came out and told me that Dr. C was going to be delayed because of an emergency C-section she was doing over in maternity. I had to laugh at the irony... of course the barren girl can wait! :)

It wasn't a big deal, but when Dr. C came to see me and apologized for being late, I couldn't help but think that she had JUST delivered a baby. Somewhere, on a different floor, some couple was rejoicing in the gift of new life. Dr. C's hands had just placed a new baby in it's mothers arms. And here I am, having another procedure done, without even knowing if this will help restore my fertility or not. I didn't have long to reflect on all this, but the thought did cross my mind.

Overall I was more impressed with the nursing staff than I was last year. They were very competent and had much better bedside manners. The first nurse was actually a patient at Tepeyac as well. So we chatted about that. She even kept me distracted while the other nurse started my IV in my hand. I forgot how painful that is! I think that was the worst part of the whole procedure.

Everything else was pretty straight forward. They got the first round of drugs going while they rolled me back and I don't remember anything after I moved myself onto the operating table. I woke up easily, had a snack, used the bathroom and we were on our way home.

I remember last year I became obsessed with saltine crackers and ginger ale after my surgery. They tasted so good in recovery! There's just something about comfort food. This year I was prepared and stocked up on both. We also stopped at Panera on our way home and I got chicken noodle soup in a bread bowl. YUM! We came home, watched a movie and I just relaxed for the rest of the night. For the most part I felt fine - just groggy and I had a bit of a sore throat. I guess they use a breathing tube as part of the anesthesia, so that left me feeling a little scratchy.

My hubby does such a good job taking care of me. He is always very sweet and affectionate towards me - that's just the way he is. But there's something nice about a little extra TLC. I know that he wishes I didn't have to go through all this stuff and he doesn't like seeing me in the hospital. These moments remind me how blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband.

I will call today to make my follow-up appointment. I can't imagine that we'll have too much to discuss. They send the polyp to pathology, but I'm expecting that to come back normal. She met briefly with my hubby after the surgery and she didn't mention finding anything else. I guess we can talk about what's next. Although I have to admit, I feel like jumping on the Dr. S train. I know that a lot of ladies are making appointments with him and I'm starting to wonder if I should too.

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything went okay....

    Yes, you should jump on the train. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your polyp removal went well. Going to see Dr. S is probably a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, friend! I'm glad the surgery went okay. Sorry you had to 'wait' ;) Ah, the irony. Kind of like how my novena ended right before Advent. More waiting! I don't know about you, but I'm kind of getting used to it, which I guess isn't a bad thing! We should meet up soon! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy it went well. And yes, us barren girls always have to wait. It will be our turn one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that everything went well!!!

    That chicken soup sounded delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it went well! I'm glad I never had to deal with any pregnant women/births, etc before or after any of my surgeries. I can imagine how emotionally that could feel like a punch in the gut :(.
    It certainly is tempting to jump on the bandwagon for Dr. S now that he seems to be able to get people pregnant :). I wouldn't blame you for switching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes you should try and get an appt. with Dr. S. on that same day ... any way FJIJ could pull some strings with that??? You could perhaps get in right after me!!! or maybe we could split the time!!!! The wheels are turning ....

    Anyways, regardless, I really want you to come along, even if just for fun. Even if this adoption doesn't go through for me, I cannot WAIT to spend some time with all of you. There's no better way than a road trip.

    And I am relieved to hear there were no complications to speak of with the polyp removal. It has to be a good thing that its out. It couldn't have been helping anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the surgery went well! I will be praying that your recovery is swift and painless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear that everything went smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise for a good outcome! I hope that your recovery is smooth and somehow one day it may be your own miracle that will be delaying that doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad it turned out so well! Could it be that two couples' lives were just changed by the same doctor? That is my prayer tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope I am not posting this three times -- I am having technical difficulties.

    Thanks for the update -- I've been thinking about you and wondering how it went.

    Good riddance, polyp!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praise God! I'm so glad you did well...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You having to wait for a c-section reminds me of how I had to stay for three days on a maternity floor after my laparatomy. So everyday when I had to walk around, I got to stroll by the rooms of happy families and babies. Nice!

    I'm so glad everything went well, and while I hate having to go through surgery, it is nice to get pampered a little!

    I really think you should make an appointment with Dr. S. You should do it soon since it takes so long to get in with him. But I so hope your fertility is restored by this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the update. Glad you had a good surgery and that the nurses were good to you! I agree - IVs are definitely the worst part of those outpatient surgeries! Yes, you need to jump on the Dr. S bandwagon. Call him!!!

    ReplyDelete