Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Homestudy Approved!

We finally received a copy of our homestudy yesterday. It was so wonderful to read the words homestudy approved!! We still have a long road ahead of us, but it's always good to feel like we're making progress.

There are a few changes that need to be made to the report before it can be finalized. Overall I have felt confident in our agency and social worker, but I was really surprised at some of the mistakes we found in the report. She wrote that I had two miscarriages. Really? Where did that come from? She also got our references confused (who was interviewed, how long we've known them, etc.) It's not that big of a deal and everything can be easily corrected, but it makes me wonder. Next up we will put together our profile and scrapbook. I'm pretty sure that we work with a different social worker for this - someone from their domestic team. Then we are officially listed for potential birthmothers to choose us. Wow.

I have to admit that something in my heart has changed watching all of these adoptions in my life recently - GIMH, AYWH and LH. Most importantly it has confirmed that we are making the right decision! I know there is a lot still to sort out emotionally, financially, etc. But I feel even more confirmed that God can use the beauty of adoption to heal our hearts and grow our family.

For the first time I feel ready to make some practical preparations. I won't be setting up a complete nursery or anything! But I do finally feel ready to do a few things. It wasn't that long ago that I blogged about how painful it would be to research pediatricians, cribs, formula, strollers, etc. Having watched two friends experience VERY quick adoptions, I can see the value in being a little prepared.

We talked about our adoption plans in our Christmas letter this year, so I am hoping to spread the word as much as possible. Whether it's through a private adoption or our agency, I know that God will bring us the child we are meant to have. I'm just trying to open as many doors as possible. :)

In cycle news, today is peak +7 and I had my blood drawn this morning. I took Tamoxifen earlier in my cycle and I'm currently taking Endometrin. At this point, I'm mostly thinking about my appointment with Dr. S in March. But I will go ahead and get my blood drawn two more times to see what the levels are like.

A friend of mine suggested that I get my thyroid checked. I'm pretty sure that this has never come up in my medical history. Does anyone know what symptoms I would be having if I had a thyroid problem? My friend brought it up because I was complaining about my freezing cold hands and feet. Obviously this could be just a symptom of winter! But at this point, I've got nothing to lose. Any advice is appreciated.

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being approved! I hope the corrections are made quickly :) Another friend of mine is in the process of making their profile book while her social worker is writing the homestudy, and she has had alot of fun compiling the pictures, etc.! I think it's wonderful that God has provided you with such positive encouragement on your adoption journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to buy anything until we had a match, but my hubbie thought getting a crib at least would be smart. Then we were matched and got everything together, and then it fell through. Now it is all ready and waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being approved!!! Yay!!!!

    I wonder how your caseworker got your details confused. She must have a lot on her plate if she got some info like that wrong!

    I can't wait until I get as far as you guys in the process. It's impossible to even get someone on the phone for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay and HOORAY!!! Doesn't it feel sort, of well--forgive me!--sort of like you birthed a child? I mean...all the work and time and effort that goes into something that is so important. Congratulations on clearing this first big hurdle.

    Like you, I'm truly inspired by all the positive explosion in adoption news here on the the blogosphere lately. Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the homestudy approval! That's odd that your caseworker got those kind of details confused. The profile and scrapbook sound kind of fun (at least the scrapbook part).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you are starting to feel at peace ;)All in God's timing ;) There is HOPE! Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats G! I can't wait to celebrate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! This is a very big step!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! This is such wonderful news. I am so happy to hear you all are finally approved, YEH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations... I am so jealous!

    I am sure Dr S will be checking your thyroid - IF is a big symptom that something is off with it! I'm surprised no one's checked you before??

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO excited for you!!!! I cannot wait for you to get the baby that God has always intended for you to have. Oh I will be so thrilled!!!!

    As for thyroid, we'll have to talk about it this weekend. I'm no expert, but I know I just didn't feel right. Although I don't know how much of my problem is thyroid and how much is adrenal (both of which are very connected anyways). I would definitely get it tested if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Based on my rather eccentric experience with hypothyroidism: TIRED. But this is easy - on the requisition you got from Dr. L, you could just circle "TSH" under things to be tested. You know, it's odd she didn't test yours - she did mine as part of initial routine testing (and it came back abnormal). But then, I've never had an ultrasound series or p3/5/7/9 blood draws. You win some, you lose some, I guess :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! Please let me know if I can help in anyway for your appointment with Dr. S. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am so happy for you two! see you soon.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh YIPPPEEE! I remember when you started the whole homestudy process. I'm so happy you're approved!
    Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on being approved!!! That is pretty weird about those mistakes - you'd think they'd be careful not to mix up people's information (or maybe the SW was just getting creative with her writing?) Good luck with the profile book - for some reason, that's the part that makes me the most nervous.
    It's all so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Gosh that you are homestudy approved are you eligible to adopt an haitian orphaN?????

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! So glad you can start moving forward. Working on the profile and scrapbook sounds like fun (of course, I am a scrapbooker, so that is probably part of it). You should definitely get your thyroid checked if you haven't already. I've heard of a lot of women who have unknowingly had thyroid issues and once they got them tested and treated were able to conceive. The symptoms would vary based on if you are hypo or hyper thyroid - google it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We recently completed our homestudy for adoption and it was excititng to receive the completed paperwork ~ Congratulations! As for the errors, I am pretty sure that the social workers have a template saved and they make deletions or add additional information to the document to keep them from having to retype everything since the format is always the same. The errors you saw were probably part of someone else's saved homestudy and the social worker forgot to delete those portions. It will be wonderful if this is how God intends to grow your family! <><

    ReplyDelete